Retiring Soon - open speculation

58 minutes ago, ManAetherslime14 said:

It's been a year now, and I am still wondering why the following summer 2022 sets retired so soon:

10778 Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy's Fairground Fun

41710 Surfer Beach Fun

60331 Touring Stunt Bike

60340 The Blade Stunt Challenge

60344 Chicken Henhouse

60345 Farmers Market Van

60347 Grocery Store

Anyone have an idea why these sets retired after only 4-6 months on shelves?

I honestly do not think poor sales caused these sets to retire, as they were listed on the Brick Fanatics May-December 2022 retiring lists.

Now this year, 60398 Family House & Electric Car is about to retire. Only launched in June/August; was on the Brick Fanatics July-October 2023 retiring lists.

LEGO has accelerated their release schedule and are putting out more new items each year than they ever have before.  I don't know this for sure, but my assumption has always been that certain sets get a compressed lifespan simply to make room for new SKUs coming in behind them.  

15 minutes ago, ManAetherslime14 said:

It's been a year now, and I am still wondering why the following summer 2022 sets retired so soon:

41710 Surfer Beach Fun

60331 Touring Stunt Bike

60340 The Blade Stunt Challenge

60344 Chicken Henhouse

60345 Farmers Market Van

60347 Grocery Store

Anyone have an idea why these sets retired after only 4-6 months on shelves?

I honestly do not think poor sales caused these sets to retire, as they were listed on the Brick Fanatics May-December 2022 retiring lists.

Now this year, 60398 Family House & Electric Car is about to retire. Only launched in June/August; was on the Brick Fanatics July-October 2023 retiring lists.

This happens every year. But even with a short shelf life, some sets never get off the ground. Most are selling under RRP even on Amazon. I assume some sets they know early on either have too much competition cannibalizing them, or not enough interest to draw a long production life. 

10778, 60344, and 60347 were the clear winners from that list even before they retired. Though I thought 60345 was going to be better than it has been. I'd gamble the ceiling for 10778 is a lot lower than 60344 and 60347, just due to the sheer amount of Mickey minifigures available on the market right now. 

I'm leveraged deep on coops at an average of $5.09. It had the clear look of a set that could more than triple RRP. 

2 hours ago, ManAetherslime14 said:

I get the same feeling on 10780 Mickey and Friends Castle Defenders.  Was supposed to retired in July and SO at LEGO Shop at Home, although LEGO has yet to officially retire it.  Now, just today, my tracker goes off and tells me that Amazon has it for $46.31.  What is so bad is that I went heavy on both sets.

3 hours ago, ManAetherslime14 said:

Electric Car is next year.  But yeah, the lists change.

Edited by gmpirate

76178 Daily Bugle is scheduled to retire in December. I’ve been on the fence about this one for personal build for a long time now, and I was wondering if this set has ever seen a significant (30% or more) discount in its lifespan. Does anyone know? I’m hoping that someone will have it one sale before it retires.

44 minutes ago, Chormeister said:

76178 Daily Bugle is scheduled to retire in December. I’ve been on the fence about this one for personal build for a long time now, and I was wondering if this set has ever seen a significant (30% or more) discount in its lifespan. Does anyone know? I’m hoping that someone will have it one sale before it retires.

I managed to get one for $262.99 from Amazon Nov 18, 2022

1 hour ago, Chormeister said:

Its retiring December 2024 on the lists I’ve seen.

Based on some lists out the, looks like the Haunted House is going to be retired this year... I still need to pick one up for my wife. Will snap one up during the upcoming VIP Weekend event.

Oddly, I don't see any recent mention of the Ideas Tree House retiring? Wasn't that originally suppose to retire last Dec?

Edited by eliminator

11 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I’m kinda rolling the dice I think but I’m hoping the police station and haunted house make it to the 2x vip weekend next week.  Doubt we will see the colosseum come back.

Colosseum most likely went OOP when it was first tagged as "Last Chance".

Edited by ManAetherslime14
grammar