Retiring Soon - open speculation

7 hours ago, fossilrock said:

What do you fellows think of 10280 Flower Bouquet as an investment?  Think these have any potential to go over 100.00 in 2 years?  They seem to be making different species of flowers and plants in all of their sets so far.  So there could be some backwards collectibility to this line.

There already are completionists in the Botanical line, my GF has a beautiful display of all of these, and the new Tiny Plants set immediately went to BO on Lego online so the demand is there.

10280 originally was $50 MSRP prior to the price increase and was readily available for $40 from numerous retailers for long periods of time and then got its shelf life extended as well. So you may have a lot of competition from those of us that got in lower than the current $48 price. Also, you have the Wild Flower bouquet as an affordable alternative and more incoming. 

The Bouquet of roses might be a good flip for this Valentine’s Day. If I were to invest in the Botanical Collection line now I would be targeting the Orchid it looks amazing in person and comes with a brick built vessel. 

ETA: probably more than you wanted to know, but this set strikes a nerve with me. I figured first in line of a new series and bought 40 at or below $38 over the course of a year and boxed them up an put them away, well except for 2. I built one for my mom on the first Mother’s Day they were out and gave one to my GF. The set is finicky to fragile as to display it perfectly you need the correct vessel not to tall, short, narrow or wide and it can’t be clear or you will need to add 3-4K 1X1 studs. If you move any of them to rearrange or dust then you might end up rebuilding a few. The price increase and extended shelf life killed this set for me as an investment. 

Next I went with 30 of the “Limited Edition” Flower Pot GWP it has seemed to stagnate around $50. It looks great but not sure many have an awareness that this set even exists except for the hard core completionists. 

The orchid has the cool Demogorgan element but I am done. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, fossilrock said:

What do you fellows think of 10280 Flower Bouquet as an investment?  Think these have any potential to go over 100.00 in 2 years?  They seem to be making different species of flowers and plants in all of their sets so far.  So there could be some backwards collectibility to this line.

i think this set has a lot of potential though it is widely hoarded. it could be flipped for easy money when it first came out which gives me hope.  i think focusing on 18+ is going to be a good strategy going forward for investing.  i am still seeing these widely at walmarts near me and am hopeful that i can get some more on a decent clearance discount (ideally $35 or less).

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

There already are completionists in the Botanical line, my GF has a beautiful display of all of these, and the new Tiny Plants set immediately went to BO on Lego online so the demand is there.

10280 originally was $50 MSRP prior to the price increase and was readily available for $40 from numerous retailers for long periods of time and then got its shelf life extended as well. So you may have a lot of competition from those of us that got in lower than the current $48 price. Also, you have the Wild Flower bouquet as an affordable alternative and more incoming. 

The Bouquet of roses might be a good flip for this Valentine’s Day. If I were to invest in the Botanical Collection line now I would be targeting the Orchid it looks amazing in person and comes with a brick built vessel. 

Looks like the Bird of Paradise set has went to retirement land as its out of stock in all the major retailers.  Set is already selling for over rrp so i do agree these botanical collection sets have potential.  Theres still a lot of 10280 flower bouquets at my one local walmart so i may go buy a few to hold onto even if the buy in is at 48 if i can milk over 100 on tholis eventually it will be a win.

4 hours ago, cladner said:

i think this set has a lot of potential though it is widely hoarded. it could be flipped for easy money when it first came out which gives me hope.  i think focusing on 18+ is going to be a good strategy going forward for investing.  i am still seeing these widely at walmarts near me and am hopeful that i can get some more on a decent clearance discount (ideally $35 or less).

Im buying a few at the 48 price.  I dont want to miss out on it and theyll probably become scarce in the wild by christmas.  I do agree the 18+ sets are where the good investments tend to be and these are good priced sets.

I think i missed out on bird of paradise as an investment as it went out of stock at lego today.

48 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Looks like the Bird of Paradise set has went to retirement land as its out of stock in all the major retailers.  Set is already selling for over rrp so i do agree these botanical collection sets have potential.  Theres still a lot of 10280 flower bouquets at my one local walmart so i may go buy a few to hold onto even if the buy in is at 48 if i can milk over 100 on tholis eventually it will be a win.

Im buying a few at the 48 price.  I dont want to miss out on it and theyll probably become scarce in the wild by christmas.  I do agree the 18+ sets are where the good investments tend to be and these are good priced sets.

I think i missed out on bird of paradise as an investment as it went out of stock at lego today.

Bird of paradise was a target exclusive.  Check instore local stock

Edited by cladner

18 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Are we even sure this is going to be retired in two years?

47 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Are we even sure this is going to be retired in two years?

According to Reddit list 10280 bouquet here until 2025.  But that can always change.  We may see some big discounting on it coming up.

30 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

It’s supposed to be retiring by the end of this year, so I’m assuming the stock that’s out there is it.

bouquet is not on the list for this year.   Id wait to see what Walmart does post Xmas.  We could see them for $30.  

Scooping up remaining scraps of these Walmart easy investment layups with online order instore pickup $45 perma sale .  Makes it so much easier to hit many stores when they bring the sets out to you.  These have totally dried up online and locally .

image.thumb.jpeg.7234c7a449a984a41e0b5d351e6f38b5.jpeg

Edited by cladner
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cladner said:

Scooping up remaining scraps of these Walmart easy investment layups with online order instore pickup $45 perma sale .  Makes it so much easier to hit many stores when they bring the sets out to you.  These have totally dried up online and locally .

image.thumb.jpeg.7234c7a449a984a41e0b5d351e6f38b5.jpeg

So you're sweeping them at $45,? Or getting a better deal?

26 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

So you're sweeping them at $45,? Or getting a better deal?

At 45 .  They gone anyway at least for shipping.  It’s like getting the atst for 35 and the battle pack for 10 . I’m totally OK with those buyin.  The combo pack will be $100 plus in less than a year.  Atst  already 54 and battle pack 25 out of the gate.  Only 3 more stores with any stock reservable 100 mile radius around here.  There aren’t going to be any left for a better deal because people (besides me) are buying them.  Tons of the Jurassic combo packs left collecting dust.

Edited by cladner
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fossilrock said:

not sure which list is correct.  Brickfanatics has the flower bouquet retiring now.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-icons-retiring-2023-and-beyond-january

yeah, the  Reddit  list has been spot on last few  years .  Flower bouquet  can be ordered at every Lego shop at home site for every country in the world right now. Back ordered in North America but still orderable.  I would not go super deep and bet against the reddit list without an incredible buyin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brickohaulic said:

Received a helmet back that was noted as "damaged". Only thing I could see was that the box had been opened, but all the bags were sealed and had the manual. Is there anything loose that someone may have been going for? 

Nope.  Some people are exchanging your set with theirs and some are simply selecting the return reason that allows them full refund.

39 minutes ago, brickohaulic said:

Received a helmet back that was noted as "damaged". Only thing I could see was that the box had been opened, but all the bags were sealed and had the manual. Is there anything loose that someone may have been going for? 

The sticker sheet is loose and very small and goes for $25

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=75274stk01&#T=S&C=0&O={"color":0,"ss":"US","rpp":"100","iconly":0}

Edited by Pseudoty

21 hours ago, cladner said:

At 45 .  They gone anyway at least for shipping.  It’s like getting the atst for 35 and the battle pack for 10 . I’m totally OK with those buyin.  The combo pack will be $100 plus in less than a year.  Atst  already 54 and battle pack 25 out of the gate.  Only 3 more stores with any stock reservable 100 mile radius around here.  There aren’t going to be any left for a better deal because people (besides me) are buying them.  Tons of the Jurassic combo packs left collecting dust.

They popped this morning for local pickup, received notification they were ready for pickup, and then shortly after they were cancelled 😆