Retiring Soon - open speculation

3 minutes ago, wegj15 said:

They just sent me 4 winnie the poohs that were backordered until September. But if you are worried sometimes it worth exchanging it in store next time you go if they happen to have them (calling ahead).

Closest store is a couple hours from me. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

A way too early retirement list direct from Lego:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/categories/last-chance-to-buy

I'd suspect these are sets they have too many of, or aren't moving at a good enough pace. Unload these on the FOMO buyers before the better retirements drop in November. 

"Last Chance to Buy" (at regular price before they go on sale)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:41 AM, brickvoyeur said:

A way too early retirement list direct from Lego:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/categories/last-chance-to-buy

I'd suspect these are sets they have too many of, or aren't moving at a good enough pace. Unload these on the FOMO buyers before the better retirements drop in November. 

List in Germany is a fair bit more extensive. About 340 sets. Not many surprises but a few. Astronomy Tower and a couple of 22 Speed Champions that weren't on the lists earlier this year. 

https://www.lego.com/de-de/categories/last-chance-to-buy

4 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

List in Germany is a fair bit more extensive. About 340 sets. Not many surprises but a few. Astronomy Tower and a couple of 22 Speed Champions that weren't on the lists earlier this year. 

https://www.lego.com/de-de/categories/last-chance-to-buy

Ignore my edited post. Must look closer next time.  Just regular Atat retiring not ucs

Edited by cladner

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Is it confirmed that the modulars - Police Station, Booksop, and Assembly Square are retiring this year?  Just inquiring because i have yet to pick up Assembly Square.

That's correct according to the October 2023 Lego Sets Retiring on BrickFanatics

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Is it confirmed that the modulars - Police Station, Booksop, and Assembly Square are retiring this year?  Just inquiring because i have yet to pick up Assembly Square.

get on that ASs

I think it's going to be like Parisian Res. Classic favorite and Available forever (like over a decade if I recall)...but once it FINALLY retired...$300...and now sits at approx:2x and going strong.

[It's a must have for anyone building a LEgo city now and forevermore...can't say that about any other recent mods]

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

get on that ASs

I think it's going to be like Parisian Res. Classic favorite and Available forever (like over a decade if I recall)...but once it FINALLY retired...$300...and now sits at approx:2x and going strong.

[It's a must have for anyone building a LEgo city now and forevermore...can't say that about any other recent mods]

Its been available since 2017, but i agree with you that its worth getting. With 2x vip starting today not sure how much longer it will last.

• 2 weeks later...

Sets released per year. This time I went through it with a fine tooth comb and removed anything that you couldn't find on the shelves normally, and non-traditional building sets. 

Source Brickset: All sets less: (Books, CMF, Dimensions, Education, Gear, Promos, Video Games, etc.)

2023: 553
2022: 568 
2021: 601
2020: 575
2019: 514
2018: 540
2017: 513
2016: 498
2015: 489
2014: 462
2013: 410
2012: 386

Right now on Lego SAH there are 922 different sets available for purchase. 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Right now on Lego SAH there are 922 different sets available for purchase. 

That's some interesting data.  I assume that the 922 is a peak number even though set quantity released since 2021 is downward.  I assume that has more to do with the extension of the shelf life of available sets.  Is there any data on average shelf life / time?

39 minutes ago, scratchdesk said:

That's some interesting data.  I assume that the 922 is a peak number even though set quantity released since 2021 is downward.  I assume that has more to do with the extension of the shelf life of available sets.  Is there any data on average shelf life / time?

Average shelf life still looks to be 24 months. There are a decent number of sets each year that get the 18 month treatment, and a good amount that  get 12 months or less. Still some are extended well beyond 24 months based on sales.

I wouldn't call it a downward trend at this point. You have a correction after 2020 where they produced a ton to meet new demand. And now they've moved more dollars towards the high end adult market. The consumer dollars are spent on fewer sets at a higher cost, which still takes from availability to spend on the secondary market. 

9 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

It can be pulled from Brickset if someone on here has the skills. 

About 75% of sets get that 24 month treatment. 

Nearly 100 sets released in 2022 got 12 months or less.  2023 currently has 79 sets on tap to retired in 12 months or less. But most of these usually are small sets, polybags, Mario, and other various turds. 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a year now, and I am still wondering why the following summer 2022 sets retired so soon:

10778 Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy's Fairground Fun

41710 Surfer Beach Fun

60331 Touring Stunt Bike

60340 The Blade Stunt Challenge

60344 Chicken Henhouse

60345 Farmers Market Van

60347 Grocery Store

Anyone have an idea why these sets retired after only 4-6 months on shelves?

I honestly do not think poor sales caused these sets to retire, as they were listed on the Brick Fanatics May-December 2022 retiring lists.

Now this year, 60398 Family House & Electric Car is about to retire. Only launched in June/August; was on the Brick Fanatics July-October 2023 retiring lists.