Retiring Soon - open speculation

4 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Is the Lego 71369 Mario Bowser's Castle retiring this month?

Just curious as Brickset says it is, and Target has them for 30% off RRP. I posted about it in the Daily Deals thread.

I know it's listed on the Brickfanatics list as going. Of the expansions, I like to think that anyone who has Mario is going to want Bowser, so even if some more stock comes in, this set seems like a good one to have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyBricks said:

I know it's listed on the Brickfanatics list as going. Of the expansions, I like to think that anyone who has Mario is going to want Bowser, so even if some more stock comes in, this set seems like a good one to have.

I am really not sold on Mario sets...other than anecdotal observations and ofcourse LEGO full press on this series...are these things really that popular?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I am really not sold on Mario sets...other than anecdotal observations and ofcourse LEGO full press on this series...are these things really that popular?

Not sure about Lego, but the games have been consistently in the top sales charts over the years for Nintendo.  Hence there’s a baked in fan base that are older and will continue to get older along with kids coming into the mix with the newer games.  Personally I’m not a fan and haven’t picked any up for myself.  But that’s just me.

39 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I don't understand the mechanic of jumping Mario around, but I'm not the target audience for that. I've been collecting the figures for display and adding the parts from the sets to my inventory. I'm not sold on all of the random expansions being good for resale unless getting picked up for 50% off, but some of the others seem to do well enough. King Boo, for example, was routinely going for $100-110 on Ebay before that Target restock and pricing at $35. Bowser is iconic and the set will have that "2021 TOTY" tag on it going forward, although I don't know how much that counts for in the eyes of regular consumers.

Mario's inherent fanbase is massive and ever growing/ evolving.  I think these sets have at least minimal upside with a strong chance to be a home run.  I've probably bought more Mario (and Speed Champions) than any other sets over the last few months.  Bonus points if it looks good as a stand alone or has a popular figure/ detail.

As for Bowsers Castle I was hoping it would stick around to hit 40% off or more.  Target deal is pretty solid though with Red Card and Rakutens 5%.  I am a little worried how they will be shipped though, hopefully ordering in multiples takes care of that.

Edited by scratchdesk

Mario's inherent fanbase is massive and ever growing/ evolving.  I think these sets have at least minimal upside with a strong chance to be a home run.  I've probably bought more Mario (and Speed Champions) than any other sets over the last few months.  Bonus points if it looks good as a stand alone or has a popular figure/ detail.
As for Bowsers Castle I was hoping it would stick around to hit 40% off or more.  Target deal is pretty solid though with Red Card and Rakutens 5%.  I am a little worried how they will be shipped though, hopefully ordering in multiples takes care of that.
I'm extremely bullish on the theme overall as well. Might not end up as strong as Minecraft but it could be close. The AMZ sales ranks are just too strong.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

33 sellers and 8k rank makes me a believer

I think the 33 was just the FF listing.  There's another 38 (and growing) on standard side.

I too am cautiously optimistic for this first wave of exiting sets... with the unknowns of how many were produced and how many new expansions can they possibly create before they'll have to rerelease some of the popular retired sets.

3 hours ago, Unionize Pokemart said:

I've had a target order show up with spider wrap still on the box.

What did you do in that instance?

My worst spider wrap experience was when a Walmart clerk couldn't figure out how to get a spider wrap off of one of the older At-Ats that was on sale after xmas so decided that the best way to deal with it was to crush the box so much that she could get the spider wrap off without unlatching it.

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, redcell said:

My worst spider wrap experience was when a Walmart clerk couldn't figure out how to get a spider wrap off of one of the older At-Ats that was on sale after xmas so decided that the best way to deal with it was to crush the box so much that she could get the spider wrap off without unlatching it.

Pretty sure that's what the person who packed my box tried to do but failed because the box was crushed in a way that made getting the wrap off pretty trivial. If it was a resell purchase I would of complained but it was something I wanted to build and I don't keep boxes so it was pretty moot other than my anger at the indignance of the whole situation.

30 minutes ago, redcell said:

That's happened to me more than once and I told them "I don't want it now".