Retiring Soon - open speculation

On 9/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, Hammers33 said:

so what is the consensus on this guys statements? I only started collecting in May this year so I've not sold anything yet but I have an Osprey to sell.. I'd sell it right now but I think I need a few other sales on my ebay before selling this.. About to start selling off a few small sets for numbers. but in reality surely the Boeing coming back is quite plausible?  I don't know enough about all this yet but if everything else he says is true then this is obviously huge. 

Even if the osprey is re-released, it won't be a Bell-Boeing 42113.

Surely that would be worth more long term.

10 hours ago, Dittobrick said:

Steamboat "Sold Out" - Maybe a set that is actually retiring this year? 

Steamboat.JPG

It's just come back into stock at SaH UK, even though other retailers restocked first. It seems like UK QFLLs will soon face returns? I have a feeling it could be back soon after retirement, so a short reselling window like Saturn V?

1 hour ago, BorderTerrier said:

It's just come back into stock at SaH UK, even though other retailers restocked first. It seems like UK QFLLs will soon face returns? I have a feeling it could be back soon after retirement, so a short reselling window like Saturn V?

NO. its not coming back. 

its actually getting boring to constantly read, everybody with a crystal ball slating that every single set that has ever retired will be back within the next month.

Edited by joneyyy1981
  • Like 1

Just now, legohoarder said:

Which set would you prefer for $40?

Lloyds Mech

Trafalgar Square

Hogwarts Express

I have the opportunity to purchase one of the above for $40. All are great sets with a $80 RRP, the mech may retire first. TS may be best long term. Just looking for some opinions and viewpoints. Thanks

I'll put my $40 on Trafalgar Square as I think every man and his dog will be offloading Hogwarts Express when the time comes, your call of course.

2 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

NO. its not coming back. 

its actually getting boring to constantly read, everybody with a crystal ball slating that every single set that has ever retired will be back within the next month.

Thanks for your bold statement confiming that it's not coming back, may I ask where you got the information from? Excuse me for crossing the line, but I did see "open speculation" in the thread title, please accept my humble and sincere apologies for openly speculating 😉

I think it's quite interesting to read as I'd expect some people on here to have more access to privileged information than others.

9 minutes ago, BorderTerrier said:

I'll put my $40 on Trafalgar Square as I think every man and his dog will be offloading Hogwarts Express when the time comes, your call of course.

Thanks for your bold statement confiming that it's not coming back, may I ask where you got the information from? Excuse me for crossing the line, but I did see "open speculation" in the thread title, please accept my humble and sincere apologies for openly speculating 😉

I think it's quite interesting to read as I'd expect some people on here to have more access to privileged information than others.

im not digging you out. im just saying its getting boring to constantly read it now. its happened for 2 sets. that's all anyone knows. now people just spam the whole subjext with anything & everything  could back with seconds of retiring  blah blah blah 

i dont think its a bold statement at all, this should be considered the exception not the norm until we see it happen again or someone comes up with a sliver of proof thats its a new lego tactic.

Edited by joneyyy1981

9 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

im not digging you out. im just saying its getting boring to constantly read it now. its happened for 2 sets. that's all anyone knows. now people just spam the whole subjext with anything & everything  could back with seconds of retiring  blah blah blah 

i dont think its a bold statement at all, this should be considered the exception not the norm until we see it happen again or someone comes up with a sliver of proof thats its a new lego tactic.

I know where you're coming from and I was only messing with you 😉 

Stonewars added HP 75957 to the extended retirement list.  Now Dec. 2021

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-end-of-life-eol-2020/#lego-disney-princess

This now make four extended EOL reprieves for HP sets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

but calling the Saturn V and SIB "exceptions" ignores the context that these weren't just any LEGO sets...they were likely deemed "blue chip" (or reseller equivalent ) by some and has appreciated better than most sets since their "retirement".  We all know LEGO isn't going to make any formal statement of their retirement strategy...so it behooves the typical reseller to read the smoke signals...there is a lesson to be learned w/ Saturn V and SIB...

2 hours ago, legohoarder said:

Lloyds Mech

Trafalgar Square

Hogwarts Express

I have the opportunity to purchase one of the above for $40. All are great sets with a $80 RRP, the mech may retire first. TS may be best long term. Just looking for some opinions and viewpoints. Thanks

if you're just buying 1 then you can't go wrong.

if you were buying 100 then it's worth an analysis; here's my relatively NEWB take:

Lloyd...Objectively; if it retires first than it has the best chance at a decent return sooner which should generally be the goal of a reseller. The set initially looked fantastic to me (i am a fan of mechs), but I realized that the trend of LEGO mechs has been getting better and better (except for the recent Marvel Heroes) and next year Lloyd may appear obsolete. Also Ninjago as a line has tons of mechs and this one may get lost in the shuffle....and the current Monkey King blows it away.

Trafalgar...Generally the Architecture line has done well worldwide; broad appeal and it's a great looking set. Some think that, similarly to the UCS, the blue-chip-ness of the Architecture line is suffering a similar fate as Star Wars UCS...but of the 3...if I had to buy 100, it would be this one.

Hogwarts...Borderterrier nailed.  I didn't think potter heads insatiable hunger for collectibles would ever be met..I under-estimated retailers ability to flood a market...also there are multiple LEGO Hogwart Express sets...3 , I believe. Nothing really special about this one and more than likely the train will be re-issued again.  

10 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

It's also a remake

75955 is technically a remake, of a remake, of a remake.  I think this is #4 as joe vs dan said.  #5 if you include the motorized set.

4708 (2001)

4758 (2004)

10132 - Motorized (2004)  - There was a super pack with more track, but it was the same train set.

4841 (2010)

and right now 75955 (2018).

IMHO I believe this is the best rendition of the Hogwarts Express engine.  At least it is a 4-6-0 and actually looks like the GWR 4900.  None of the other sets can say that.  I actually like the rail cars from 4841 and am trying to piece together cars from that set to put with the engine from 75955 and then motorize it like Jang did.

I have no doubts LEGO will reissue another train but if they wander from the 4-6-0 configuration, all future trains will pail in comparison to this one.  imho

It is a shame LEGO has not issued a high-quality version of the Hogwarts Express like the Crocodile.  They could sell each of the train cars separately.  I think Potterheads would explode with something like that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

It is a shame LEGO has not issued a high-quality version of the Hogwarts Express like the Crocodile.  They could sell each of the train cars separately.  I think Potterheads would explode with something like that.

Can you wait to give them ideas until after I've sold through mine? Thanks.

UCS Hogwarts Express engine would look pretty nifty. 

36 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

Can you wait to give them ideas until after I've sold through mine? Thanks.

UCS Hogwarts Express engine would look pretty nifty. 

I'm a big fan of the GWR steam locomotives, Olton Hall has been used on a few special trips in the UK and I remember it passing through Reading station once on its way to the West Country. Yes, it would be great to see this amazing machine immortalised as a Master Builders Series set so that it can actually be "played" with. Of course, something of that scale will probably need new track.

Could you image Lego making a Union Pacific Big Boy?

13 minutes ago, BorderTerrier said:

I'm a big fan of the GWR steam locomotives, Olton Hall has been used on a few special trips in the UK and I remember it passing through Reading station once on its way to the West Country. Yes, it would be great to see this amazing machine immortalised as a Master Builders Series set so that it can actually be "played" with. Of course, something of that scale will probably need new track.

you mean like this one?: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c3c75fbe-5e66-4847-afed-e7bb10f2245f

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

75955 is technically a remake, of a remake, of a remake.  I think this is #4 as joe vs dan said.  #5 if you include the motorized set.

4708 (2001)

4758 (2004)

10132 - Motorized (2004)  - There was a super pack with more track, but it was the same train set.

4841 (2010)

and right now 75955 (2018).

IMHO I believe this is the best rendition of the Hogwarts Express engine.  At least it is a 4-6-0 and actually looks like the GWR 4900.  None of the other sets can say that.  I actually like the rail cars from 4841 and am trying to piece together cars from that set to put with the engine from 75955 and then motorize it like Jang did.

I have no doubts LEGO will reissue another train but if they wander from the 4-6-0 configuration, all future trains will pail in comparison to this one.  imho

I'm pretty happy with my MODded version ... 

49364583871_6fdc6a8464_b.jpg

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, BorderTerrier said:

Amen!  Who wouldn't want to be driving a LEGO 4-8-8-4 Big Boy all around the house? 

This is the one I'm dying to build: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-19554/morningstrummer/union-pacific-4014-big-boy/#comments

I have not bought the instructions yet, but assuming they are understandable, I feel like 20 Euro is reasonable for a set with almost 3000 pieces.

6 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Amen!  Who wouldn't want to be driving a LEGO 4-8-8-4 Big Boy all around the house? 

This is the one I'm dying to build: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-19554/morningstrummer/union-pacific-4014-big-boy/#comments

I have not bought the instructions yet, but assuming they are understandable, I feel like 20 Euro is reasonable for a set with almost 3000 pieces.

the crocodile was cute and all but this is the train we needed. amazing display piece and would love to power this thing. 

• Like 1

Lloyds Mech
Trafalgar Square
Hogwarts Express
I would go with Hogwarts Express. Yes, a lot of resellers have tons of these. I would say that the most hoarded recent set by resellers was the Saturn V and it still hit $240-$250 prices on Ebay 6 months after retirement. If a set is popular enough it doesn't matter how many resellers there are, it will still make money.

I'm now thinking thay there may not be as many resellers of Saturn V in the UK as I thought. Since "the announcement", sellers in eBay have only doubled where I would've expected a multi-fold increase as most bail out. I think there's a lot more HP trains hoarded than Saturn V as the previous versions have done well, even though the current loco has the correct 4-6-0 wheel configuration.