Retiring Soon - open speculation

2 hours ago, marcinj said:

Stop acting like its a government website thats not updating COVID news. Come on guys. Its just LEGO.

Sorry for talking about an issue regarding Lego that's on a Lego forum I mean Jesus.

People are so quick to jump down people's throats, I have a right to be annoyed about miss information on a theme that is so big in Lego investing right now. 

8 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I have a right to be annoyed about miss information on a theme that is so big in Lego investing right now.

Yes, you have the right. But this isn't some website that is insisting 2+2=5. They are hypothesizing about the production of a kid's toy consisting of molded plastic parts. Perspective is important in life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raulaco said:

Sorry for talking about an issue regarding Lego that's on a Lego forum I mean Jesus.

People are so quick to jump down people's throats, I have a right to be annoyed about miss information on a theme that is so big in Lego investing right now. 

You're taking live in general a little bit too seriously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, raulaco said:

Technically they do owe me as I always buy my sets through there referral links earning them money when I could go elsewhere. I'm not apologising for wanting accurate info that's already out there. I'm annoyed they haven't bothered updating there site and I have a right to be. 

Btw, how old are you?

Everything is speculation, even sets tagged by Lego. Some have gone retiring soon - sold out - 6 months later available.

No guarantees, all risk, lots of reward potential.

Pretty sure the Lego movie sets won’t get a remake so maybe stick to those.

We see a new AT-AT, Millenium Falcon, snowspeeder, etc. all the time. It happens.

• Like 1

so just see this on a forum.

(talking about Diner) - Don't worry, it's not retiring this year, it's marked for December 2021, but is likely to be extended beyond that due to COVID-19.

(talking about bell boeing) - re release (pushed back from December due to COVID-19). Lego are releasing it then with the gearing modification and will remove the Boeing logo from the box, keeping just Bell. 

Lego have had to lay off 25% of their design team and 15% of senior factory staff which limits capacity for new designs and production. Re-releasing popular retired sets is the new strategy for the next 3-4 years while the World recovers from COVID-19. As far as I'm aware, the following themes are have some immunity from imminent re-release:

City
Friends
Ninjago (except 70618 Destiny's Bounty which resumes production in July 2021)
Star Wars (except UCS R2-D2 in new black AFOL "Master Builder Series" box)
Architecture (except Buckingham Palace to complement London Skyline and Trafalgar Square)
Speed Champions twin packs (the retired 6-stud cars will now become 8-stud starting next Easter, Bugatti being the first)
Harry Potter (all sets due to retire this year have been extended for another year, 2 years for Hogwarts Express)

This week marks the 2,000,000th 10220 VW T1 Camper left the production line, apparently over 1,500,000 are in the hands of buyers who bought multiples, go figure.

Even though it's 3 years behind schedule, the previously unknown "Lego Again" project will be live around Xmas 2021. This promises to supply any retired set that Lego has produced in the past, put the pieces in a plain box and have printed artwork on one side only to make production easier. There will be a 4-6 week wait for the requested set and the RRP will be today's equivalent. The top 10 sellers in this project will then be re-released in their former glory with the same artwork as before. The re-release of the Saturn V has shocked a lot of people (even me!), but it's only the start of what is to come. Senior Lego management state that over 75% of popular sets end up in the hands of greedy resellers, leaving Joe Public without the set they want, unless they pay over the odds for one on eBay - this is why Lego have finally decided to eliminate the reseller market as it's more of a threat to their brand than Chinese knock-offs.

Lego have now asked John Lewis to reduce their maximum order limit on popular sets from 5 to 2. Smyths, Amazon and The Hut Group will also be amending their limits.

The final nail in the resellers' coffin will be eBay introducing "gating" (Amazon has it) which means that you have to be an authorised Lego retailer before you can sell multiples of the same set as new, even if days or weeks apart. It's all part of the plan to expand there retailer network and wipe out resellers.

think the blokes nuts myself, he lost me at 2 million VW's...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Safe to say LEGO killed my last piece of sympathy towards their brand (even if the post above is inaccurate).

I'm out, regardless of how they design their future strategy, I don't care. Premium prices, "last chance" in catalogs, pushing the collecting aspect with 18+ adult sets & then f'ing everyone with reissues. They have no idea how they're killing their own brand & I think that's good. Let the ship sink. It will sooner than later.

The 21103 Delorean is being re-released around next Easter as 92162, the RRP will go up from £34.99 to £42.99 due to licencing costs. There is in fact a plan to re-release most IDEAS sets over the next 18 months. Set number 92166 is already reserved for WALL-E, but RPP will remain the same due to ongoing Disney licence. The only ones I know of that will NOT be re-released for a least 18 months are Hayabusa, Minecraft The Forest, Exo Suit, Caterham Seven, Doctor Who, Maze and Research Institute.

I can also confirm that two modular buildings are being re-released around Easter. These are the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner. They will be identical from the outside, but will contain new elements and a more detailed interior. RRP for both will be £149.99. The Tower Bridge also returns in a black 18+ box in an extended version with the extra anchor towers for £319.99.

10225 Star Wars R2-D2 is also coming back next Summer in a new Disney box and will have a higher RRP of £169.99, in line with other "UCS" sets.

How do I know this? Please don't ask as I can't tell you for obvious reasons.

he also says this. personally i think he's a troll , who thinks he works for lego.

Edited by joneyyy1981
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Didn't we hear rumors of this "Lego Again" project on here years ago?  This just seems unlikely due to the number of out of production pieces they would have to produce.

Is there any truth to layoffs this guy talks about?

Nothing according to uncle google.  I’d imagine such layoffs would have trickled out somewhere.  Although it may not be that many folks even though the % sound high.

Edited by LegoTriathlete

There was an article recently about LEGO surging in sales during COVID which seems counter to laying off folks.  Unless it’s just a change in direction/strategy, assuming it is accurate.  But hey, if it’s on the internet it must be accurate!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/02//lego-sales-pandemic-trnd/index.html

Any half decent company knows that having a secondary market means you’re doing something right with your brand.

The strategy of course is to find that balance of profitable sales and allowing a secondary market to indirectly boost your brand value.

LEGO trying to mess with secondary market will be shooting themselves in the foot. So those rumors are either some schmuck messing with people trying to induce a sell off, or LEGO is really really stupid. You just have to ask which is more likely.

• Like 4

Also, a lot of people are not realizing that many LEGO fans don’t just buy single units anymore. Pretty much all LEGO fans are aware of the resale value in the secondary market of retired and limited run sets.

It’s an expensive hobby, so even the casual fans buy multiple sets of the ones they like, keep one, and sell the extras later to offset the costs of the hobby.

So it’s not just investors and resellers buying multiples for profit.

If anything, LEGO should be happy about this. Growth in sales not from an expanding market, but from a denser hit to pick, in this case the number of sales per customer.

The more I think about it, I highly highly doubt they want to shoot themselves in the foot, and their face for that matter, to try to mess with the secondary market.

Edited by dx0520

2 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

so just see this on a forum.

(talking about Diner) - Don't worry, it's not retiring this year, it's marked for December 2021, but is likely to be extended beyond that due to COVID-19.

(talking about bell boeing) - re release (pushed back from December due to COVID-19). Lego are releasing it then with the gearing modification and will remove the Boeing logo from the box, keeping just Bell. 

Lego have had to lay off 25% of their design team and 15% of senior factory staff which limits capacity for new designs and production. Re-releasing popular retired sets is the new strategy for the next 3-4 years while the World recovers from COVID-19. As far as I'm aware, the following themes are have some immunity from imminent re-release:

City
Friends
Ninjago (except 70618 Destiny's Bounty which resumes production in July 2021)
Star Wars (except UCS R2-D2 in new black AFOL "Master Builder Series" box)
Architecture (except Buckingham Palace to complement London Skyline and Trafalgar Square)
Speed Champions twin packs (the retired 6-stud cars will now become 8-stud starting next Easter, Bugatti being the first)
Harry Potter (all sets due to retire this year have been extended for another year, 2 years for Hogwarts Express)

This week marks the 2,000,000th 10220 VW T1 Camper left the production line, apparently over 1,500,000 are in the hands of buyers who bought multiples, go figure.

Even though it's 3 years behind schedule, the previously unknown "Lego Again" project will be live around Xmas 2021. This promises to supply any retired set that Lego has produced in the past, put the pieces in a plain box and have printed artwork on one side only to make production easier. There will be a 4-6 week wait for the requested set and the RRP will be today's equivalent. The top 10 sellers in this project will then be re-released in their former glory with the same artwork as before. The re-release of the Saturn V has shocked a lot of people (even me!), but it's only the start of what is to come. Senior Lego management state that over 75% of popular sets end up in the hands of greedy resellers, leaving Joe Public without the set they want, unless they pay over the odds for one on eBay - this is why Lego have finally decided to eliminate the reseller market as it's more of a threat to their brand than Chinese knock-offs.

Lego have now asked John Lewis to reduce their maximum order limit on popular sets from 5 to 2. Smyths, Amazon and The Hut Group will also be amending their limits.

The final nail in the resellers' coffin will be eBay introducing "gating" (Amazon has it) which means that you have to be an authorised Lego retailer before you can sell multiples of the same set as new, even if days or weeks apart. It's all part of the plan to expand there retailer network and wipe out resellers.

think the blokes nuts myself, he lost me at 2 million VW's...

Thanks for sharing. In regards to "LEGO again" it sounds like complete poppycock. As someone else pointed out so many retired sets consist of parts that are no longer in production. Those that are familar with factory work may agree that the expense to revive such parts would be ridiculious. Not to mention the cost of reproducing minifigures from retired sets. 

I of course wouldn't mind the opportunity to add a Clone Wars Gunship to my collection but "LEGO again" seems highly unlikely

• Like 1