Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 minute ago, joneyyy1981 said:

i get what you mean, but i haven't seen anywhere yet (reliable) saying its not going?

promobricks (i'm not sure how reliable they are) are going 1 step further saying production has stopped, others its just going EOL.

promobricks gonna look a little silly if this doesn't go, or am i lost in google translation?

I can't read German as well and from google translate one of the comments says that Great Hall is extended to Jul 2021.

"Ein Händler sagt:

Euer Update zur Halle von Hogwarts stimmt so nicht – das EOL Datum wurde auf 31.07.2021 verlängert, vermutlich weil die Nachfrage so hoch ist. Im übrigen wurden auch die Peitschende Weider und der lila Bus auf Ende 2021 verlängert. Checkt das mal mit euern Quellen. VG"

15 minutes ago, coelian said:

No point buying at a discount if you can't sell it, I believe many were stuck with exo-suit.

No one claims that the list is set in stone, use it as a guide and like all investments you need to dydd. I think they are just trying to provide the best information that they have.

I understand that the list isn't set in stone. However what I'm saying is the info needs updating if it had changed or someone needs to clarify what's going on. 

19 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

i get what you mean, but i haven't seen anywhere yet (reliable) saying its not going?

promobricks (i'm not sure how reliable they are) are going 1 step further saying production has stopped, others its just going EOL.

promobricks gonna look a little silly if this doesn't go, or am i lost in google translation?

I just would like someone to clarify what's going on really. I can't understand why promobricks have come out and stated that it's not being produced anymore literally about 2 days ago. 

What I would like to see is just these sites backing what they say or changing it if they have new info. 

Promobricks seems more than likely wrong atm as they have stated a few other sets not being produced anymore in the Harry potter line but have since come back on the Lego shop. 

Edited by raulaco

6 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

well this clearly shows they have no idea whats going on.

I have to agree. I think we just have to wait for the tags from Lego to be sure. Just glad it's sorted tbh, have to offload some great halls now. I wonder if they'll be short supply at Christmas. Knowing my luck they'll be a half price sale soon. 

2 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I have to agree. I think we just have to wait for the tags from Lego to be sure. Just glad it's sorted tbh, have to offload some great halls now. I wonder if they'll be short supply at Christmas. Knowing my luck they'll be a half price sale soon. 

funny as i don't think brickmerge ever had the potter sets as discontinued, yet its the only site that has friends ideas as discontinued.

30 minutes ago, raulaco said:

With the new sets, there is less space for the Great Halls I don't think you need to be in a hurry to clear them out even if the retirement is pushed out half a year. You'd have a hard time trying to acquire them next year, lego is not going to use up so much production space for a product that is 2 plus years old with diminished demand. We might just have fresh lockdowns in winter to further throw a spanner in the works.

1 hour ago, joneyyy1981 said:

funny as i don't think brickmerge ever had the potter sets as discontinued, yet its the only site that has friends ideas as discontinued.

They where set on retirement.

And Prompbricks had the Info, like many other news Sites, or insiders in Germany, that those Sets will retire. The stores couldnt order anymore of those Sets. But Lego just decided short term that those sets will countinue. And like Always those Lists on Stonewars, Promobricks or Brickmerge arent anything official. Of course people rely on those, but nobody can do something about a short notice decision fo Lego.

And btw the German post up there was a Dealer who stated that Lego put those Sets back into production. Nearly at the same time Promobricks got the same Information by another source (one of their reliable sources)

Just now, benjamin4172 said:

And Prompbricks had the Info, like many other news Sites, or insiders in Germany, that those Sets will retire. The stores couldnt order anymore of those Sets. But Lego just decided short term that those sets will countinue. And like Always those Lists on Stonewars, Promobricks or Brickmerge arent anything official. Of course people rely on those, but nobody can do something about a short notice decision fo Lego.

And btw the German post up there was a Dealer who stated that Lego put those Sets back into production. Nearly at the same time Promobricks got the same Information by another source (one of their reliable sources)

And as always...I just wanted to let you know. Maybe somebody wanted to go all in those Sets. I just wanted to be nice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, benjamin4172 said:

so 14 december they state production has stopped, then within 3 days production fires up and isn't even going to EOL. lol

they might as well put up a post asking people for information then instead of trying to outgun everyone buy saying production has stopped.

nearly all just copy the stonewars list then try to be smarter, from the comments the stonewars guys sticking to his information?

Edited by joneyyy1981

2 minutes ago, benjamin4172 said:

Yes, and the real funny thing is you are blaming those Sites. But honestly you cant blame anyone, because ist a decision made by Lego . And they want to sell as many as they can. And noone is responsible for the action of resellers, but the resellers. But I (once more) learned my lesson.

i'm not blaming anyone, for what..

2 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

i'm not blaming anyone, for what..

Okay than I misunderstood, I apologize.

This is what Stonewars posted a few Moments ago:

Wir werden unseren Artikel dazu heute aktualisieren, aber wir verifizieren gerade noch einige anderen Änderungen, bevor wir vorschnell etwas ankündigen

They are going to investigate and check their sources. And then they are going to update their Site if something changed. They dont want to post news in a rash.

Just now, benjamin4172 said:

Okay than I misunderstood, I apologize.

This is what Stonewars posted a few Moments ago:

Wir werden unseren Artikel dazu heute aktualisieren, aber wir verifizieren gerade noch einige anderen Änderungen, bevor wir vorschnell etwas ankündigen

They are going to investigate and check their sources. And then they are going to update their Site if something changed. They dont want to post news in a rash.

its no problem.

i think you misunderstood what my view is.

stonewars publish a list from the info they have saying its to the best of there knowledge. which is fair enough, **** happens things change.

promobricks act like they have inside info from the factory's, publish not only is it EOL but production is now final, no more, retired, never to be seen again, only to have someone post its wrong then fully retract everything. 

which to me (my own opinion which could be more than wrong), means they don't know whats actually stopped & what hasn't.

there is no blame or wrong doing, its just an eyebrow raiser for me anyway.

4 hours ago, Deingesicht said:

What does everyone think about the Flintstones? For me, it was an average set at best, however, most idea sets seem to perform well (except for adventure time and women of nasa)

I didn't like the Flintstones set for myself (while I bought many Ideas sets for my own collection) and I think the sales figures for it aren't really good either. So I'm not buying any Flintstones sets. Don't expect the demand for it to suddenly soar after it's retired. :P 

Compare it with the Doctor Who set which retired / sold out in January 2017. MSRP was €65 and now, more than 3.5 years later, the average price it's now sold for is €80. It's been hovering just over MSRP for about 2 years after it retired. Pretty poor ROI if you ask me.

And I actually do like the Doctor Who set, unlike the Flintstones set!

41 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

Compare it with the Doctor Who set which retired / sold out in January 2017. MSRP was €65 and now, more than 3.5 years later, the average price it's now sold for is €80. It's been hovering just over MSRP for about 2 years after it retired. Pretty poor ROI if you ask me.

My Who sets have been selling well (sold 2 yesterday for around 150 each), and my supply is getting low.

I agree with you regarding the Flintstones set (it doesn't excite me), but I think it might surprise us with a good return. I seem to recall that Scooby sets were plentiful heading into retirement.

I could easily see this being a regret (as I certainly haven't loaded up on them).

Edited by KShine

I’m new to this and no expert, but it appears to me that there’s a lot more purchasing going on for resale or am I off?  My point being if there’s a significantly higher amount of sets being bought out immediately (like what’s happening on Amazon with some of these sets, which seems ridiculous to me...) then I would imagine it’s skewing Legos analytics to some degree on what general buyers are buying/interested in and causing them to adjust their EOL accordingly.  Just a theory...

8 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

I’m new to this and no expert, but it appears to me that there’s a lot more purchasing going on for resale or am I off?  My point being if there’s a significantly higher amount of sets being bought out immediately (like what’s happening on Amazon with some of these sets, which seems ridiculous to me...) then I would imagine it’s skewing Legos analytics to some degree on what general buyers are buying/interested in and causing them to adjust their EOL accordingly.  Just a theory...

This already happened years ago - LEGO responded with tighter buying restrictions, and some mis-shots on production amounts (as it became difficult to accurately gauge the true end-buyer interest). And yes it did start the extended life of sets. It also caused LEGO to overproduce eventually, as when resellers dipped, so did the sales.

This is an unusual time with Covid, and I wouldn't expect as permanent an effect. LEGO is also limited to respond (production wise) as the virus does affect their options.

The impact will likely be relatively short lived.

Edited by KShine

43 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

I'm wondering myself. Large sets were all but dead as investments two years ago. Covid brought them roaring back. Will there be loads of diners & treehouses stuck close to rrp after retirement? I don't think so but I'm not positive. 

2 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Taj still at Target. Don't see it anywhere else. Will be interesting to see what it does. Last one was fire but that's another era of investing. 

I don't have a single one. 

Interested to watch this set as well. I bought a few based what the original did in the aftermarket, but as you said, this is a new era of investing...

5 hours ago, raulaco said:

I just would like someone to clarify what's going on really. I can't understand why promobricks have come out and stated that it's not being produced anymore literally about 2 days ago. 

What I would like to see is just these sites backing what they say or changing it if they have new info. 

Promobricks seems more than likely wrong atm as they have stated a few other sets not being produced anymore in the Harry potter line but have since come back on the Lego shop. 

What's going on is that Lego appears to have made some recent decisions about the products it would be retiring and those it would be continuing into next year.  This is not surprising given the wrench that COVID threw into the gears of its manufacturing and distribution operations.  My guess is that they had a plan earlier in the year about what would stay and go, and revisited that plan in the last few weeks based on what has happened between when it was first developed and now.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dennugsmello said:

Interested to watch this set as well. I bought a few based what the original did in the aftermarket, but as you said, this is a new era of investing...

I may take a flyer on one. Target's flimsy shipping boxes is the only thing stopping me.

It's a steep buy in with no discount. Flip side is I don't think many have stockpiled it.