Retiring Soon - open speculation

LEGO mgr told me Vader's Castle doesn't sell well.  It was one of the sets that didn't go backorder until late into the pandemic. 

However, it is OOS at LEGO Shop at Home and it is going in and out of stock on Amazon who had an exclusive partnership to sell it.

Edited by exracer327

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

LEGO mgr told me Vader's Castle doesn't sell well.  It was one of the sets that didn't go backorder until late into the pandemic. 

However, it is OOS at LEGO Shop at Home and it is going in and out of stock on Amazon who had an exclusive partnership to sell it.

If it's not selling well I'm surprised they haven't took it off the line.

8 hours ago, glucapg said:

I think the one folks have asked about here is:

Technic 42096 Porsche 911 RSR

which is listed as "May" retire

this one is the poor man's orange porsche and arguably looks better (sans the cool internal bits that even Jang said was probably over kill since no one can see it once build); the color-way is better (IMO) and displays really nice.  The price point (especially the readily available sale price) is also much more attractive.

I don't believe the Ideas Central Perk will stay. Nearly 2,5 years will be too long for this set comparing to other ideas theme. And also the license for Friends is not a cheap one (Netflix had to pay like over 100 mln $ a year).

The other 5 sets i don't see hanging longer than 2020 are the small speed sets. No speed set ever was on the market longer than 21 months.

48 minutes ago, marcinj said:

I don't believe the Ideas Central Perk will stay. Nearly 2,5 years will be too long for this set comparing to other ideas theme. And also the license for Friends is not a cheap one (Netflix had to pay like over 100 mln $ a year).

The other 5 sets i don't see hanging longer than 2020 are the small speed sets. No speed set ever was on the market longer than 21 months.

friends isn't going, only been a year hasn't it?

Edited by joneyyy1981

how you know that, nowhere has it as going?

Just by looking at the history of Lego Ideas sets. 21311 Voltron was released in Aug 2018 and retired Dec 2019. 21310 OFS was released in Sept 2017 and retired Dec 2018. History tells you that an Ideas set released in Sept of one year retires in Dec of the next year.  

The only exception I can think of is Saturn V... but Central Perk is no Saturn V.

• Like 1