Retiring Soon - open speculation

16 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Retirement has always been speculation more than hard facts...it's a soft list which should be treated as yet another tool for investors/collectors. By the time it's fact...it's also too late.

I appreciate the rumors and subsequent discussions.  This thread is one of my favorites and has been very informational for me.

The work should be done even before these retirement guides come out, I started buying some sets and now I know they likely won't be retired this year. Instead of holding on to them you can still let them go during the Christmas uptick in sales for a smaller profit. No site has claimed to have had a definitive retirement list, it's simply a guide and should be treated as such.

18 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Sources differ.

I have a source telling me it's going, another one is saying it's staying. 

I don't care, Ideas is suddenly not as interesting anymore, except for QFFLs.

if CP does go, will catch a few people off guard i'd guess.

anyone knowwhen we actually get the official retiring list from lego?

Edited by joneyyy1981

4 hours ago, coelian said:

The work should be done even before these retirement guides come out, I started buying some sets and now I know they likely won't be retired this year. Instead of holding on to them you can still let them go during the Christmas uptick in sales for a smaller profit. No site has claimed to have had a definitive retirement list, it's simply a guide and should be treated as such.

One thing to realize is that the list of sets retiring is fluid throughout the year.  There are typically a few specific points during the year when changes are made, but they can adjust their production/marketing schedule at any time like they did a few weeks ago with the Harry Potter sets.  Unless you have a pipeline directly to the executives at The Lego Group who are making these decisions or someone else internal that has access to them, nothing is written in stone until a set can no longer be ordered.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, redcell said:

One thing to realize is that the list of sets retiring is fluid throughout the year.  There are typically a few specific points during the year when changes are made, but they can adjust their production/marketing schedule at any time like they did a few weeks ago with the Harry Potter sets.  Unless you have a pipeline directly to the executives at The Lego Group who are making these decisions or someone else internal that has access to them, nothing is written in stone until a set can no longer be ordered.

Lego is so up in the air right now that I couldn't care less if a set is marked as Temporarily out of stock, Retiring Soon, Sold out or Retired Product. As you say, the only sure sign is if authorised retailers no longer have them or can no longer get them. 2020 is unique due to COVID-19, so anything is possible. Personally, I'm just happy to just buy at a good discount and then flip quickly, even if it's just £10 profit - just 25 of those a week will do me 😉

Edited by BorderTerrier
Poor finger dexterity

26 minutes ago, BorderTerrier said:

Lego is so up in the air right now that I couldn't care less if a set is marked as Temporarily out of stock, Retiring Soon, Sold out or Retired Product. As you say, the only sure sign is if authorised retailers no longer have them or can no longer get them. 2020 is unique due to COVID-19, so anything is possible. Personally, I'm just happy to just buy at a good discount and then flip quickly, even if it's just £10 profit - just 25 of those a week will do me 😉

id love to know where you get your stuff from. not enough margin quick flipping, especially if you pay tax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

says...?

his nickname here is redcell and believe it or not, he is here for a little bit longer than you are 👨‍🏫 and judging by his comments he is running a good operation in the business of reselling legos.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sozial said:

his nickname here is redcell and believe it or not, he is here for a little bit longer than you are 👨‍🏫 and judging by his comments he is running a good operation in the business of reselling legos.

so that means we cant ask how he knows or why he thinks that... because he been here longer?  

52 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

so that means we cant ask how he knows or why he thinks that... because he been here longer?  

I highly doubt he knows anymore than the rest of us. Nobody knows what will happen to sets unless your high up in the Lego group. Also don't trust what people say here, most of them just see us as competitors and will give false advise. I've seen it time and time again  

• Like 1

I highly doubt he knows anymore than the rest of us. Nobody knows what will happen to sets unless your high up in the Lego group. Also don't trust what people say here, most of them just see us as competitors and will give false advise. I've seen it time and time again  
Believe me or don't, I don't care, but I'm not sure why you think I would lie about this. What would I stand to gain by doing that?

1 minute ago, redcell said:
30 minutes ago, raulaco said:

Believe me or don't, I don't care, but I'm not sure why you think I would lie about this. What would I stand to gain by doing that?

I understand both responses. Even though only Lego's elite know retirement dates, some lesser mortals have access to retailer wholesale lists or can find out what's on them. That's where I get some of my "tips" from. Since we're all fierce cut-throat competitors on here, such information is privileged and I can't share it. I also don't want to be responsible if it's wrong or updated. Don't hold me to it, but my "intel" on the Beetle and T1 differs to consensus 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BorderTerrier said:

I understand both responses. Even though only Lego's elite know retirement dates, some lesser mortals have access to retailer wholesale lists or can find out what's on them. That's where I get some of my "tips" from. Since we're all fierce cut-throat competitors on here, such information is privileged and I can't share it. I also don't want to be responsible if it's wrong or updated. Don't hold me to it, but my "intel" on the Beetle and T1 differs to consensus 😉

i thought you was retired.

• Like 1

Just now, joneyyy1981 said:

i thought you was retired.

Correct, I am retired, apart from renting out property and part-time selling. I'm a member of another closed group and all those are retired too!

Do you have to get up early and commute to a job you hate? I'm still in bed and will get up when I feel like it 😉

This has to be the strangest (and most instrusive) Lego forum that I've been on, but I've had some great information and even made a sale!

5 minutes ago, BorderTerrier said:

Correct, I am retired, apart from renting out property and part-time selling. I'm a member of another closed group and all those are retired too!

Do you have to get up early and commute to a job you hate? I'm still in bed and will get up when I feel like it 😉

This has to be the strangest (and most instrusive) Lego forum that I've been on, but I've had some great information and even made a sale!

lol, i just cannot take you serious.

p.S. when you pay my bills, then worry about my job. if you are retired & still flipping lego for £10 you haven't done that well have you.

Edited by joneyyy1981
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

lol, i just cannot take you serious.

p.S. when you pay my bills, then worry about my job. if you are retired & still flipping lego for £10 you haven't done that well have you.

5 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

this translates to your on the funny ward in an old peoples home.

I don't take anything seriously, it's called having a sense of humour. Once I get up to speed (which I will and I don't just sell Lego), £10 profit on 25-50 items a week, doesn't sound bad, does it? Put it this way, I'm already having to pay extra tax!

I've never seen a forum filled with so much jealousy and oneupmanship, give me as much ribbing as you want, this is hilarious!

I don't get into slanging matches if comments get out of hand, so let's get back on topic please 😉