Retiring Soon - open speculation

To get back on topic, I will share my opinion and reasoning behind sets I feel will yield good results.

First up, super mario range. Being the “first wave” of the super mario theme, it’s these sets that will be short supply down the line and the originals that collectors and kids will want alike. Just look at first wave of minecraft sets now and there subsequent value. In addition, mario has been popular for the last 3-4 decades and that’s not going to change moving forward.

Secondly and similarly the Lego minions theme. Being original first wave sets again, minions are a franchise that kids love and are very current. I can see how getting these at good discounts won’t lead you astray.

Thirdly, Harry Potter. Harry Potter sets have been released and rehashed over the last 2 decades. Therefore, I personally believe there appeal as original pieces has faded. Nevertheless, the 3 fantastic beast films still to come out will keep Harry Potter/ magic current fir the foreseeable future. Personally, I’m not buying much Harry Potter as I think they will be the most hoarded by investors, with the exception of the Hungarian horntail set. As the original of this released in conjunction with the 4th film, performed really well. Also, it’s a dragon, so that helps!

Next, gingerbread house. This set stands out within the winter village theme as it’s an adaption of an existing idea. It will appeal to Lego fans and Xmas fanatics. Not expecting to go for at least another year though, but if you have enough funds to store in long holds, get this whenever the discount is good. You will not go wrong when it disappears off the shelves. It will be a must have to new winter village theme fans in a few years that missed out now.

Next Jurassic world, now this theme I feel will do well. I personally yielded great returns from getting the first indomminus rex set  discounted from toysrus ( good times!) which was released with the first Jurassic world movie. While, I don’t think these sets will do aswell as those originals, ( if you haven’t noticed I’m very fond of getting first wave originals 😂) as there were sets released with second movie and additional ones now. Getting these at good discounts can’t go wrong. Dinosaurs, will always remain popular. In addition the exclusive t-rex set to Lego and Argos here in the uk, being the biggest Lego dinosaur ever released. I can only see this being a “must have” and very lucrative!

Any way, that’s just a small insight to my consensus on some of the current sets available, il add others if people want to know (y). Yet this is all speculative and based on past success and experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Tedron said:

To get back on topic, I will share my opinion and reasoning behind sets I feel will yield good results.

First up, super mario range. Being the “first wave” of the super mario theme, it’s these sets that will be short supply down the line and the originals that collectors and kids will want alike. Just look at first wave of minecraft sets now and there subsequent value. In addition, mario has been popular for the last 3-4 decades and that’s not going to change moving forward.

Secondly and similarly the Lego minions theme. Being original first wave sets again, minions are a franchise that kids love and are very current. I can see how getting these at good discounts won’t lead you astray.

Thirdly, Harry Potter. Harry Potter sets have been released and rehashed over the last 2 decades. Therefore, I personally believe there appeal as original pieces has faded. Nevertheless, the 3 fantastic beast films still to come out will keep Harry Potter/ magic current fir the foreseeable future. Personally, I’m not buying much Harry Potter as I think they will be the most hoarded by investors, with the exception of the Hungarian horntail set. As the original of this released in conjunction with the 4th film, performed really well. Also, it’s a dragon, so that helps!

Next, gingerbread house. This set stands out within the winter village theme as it’s an adaption of an existing idea. It will appeal to Lego fans and Xmas fanatics. Not expecting to go for at least another year though, but if you have enough funds to store in long holds, get this whenever the discount is good. You will not go wrong when it disappears off the shelves. It will be a must have to new winter village theme fans in a few years that missed out now.

Next Jurassic world, now this theme I feel will do well. I personally yielded great returns from getting the first indomminus rex set  discounted from toysrus ( good times!) which was released with the first Jurassic world movie. While, I don’t think these sets will do aswell as those originals, ( if you haven’t noticed I’m very fond of getting first wave originals 😂) as there were sets released with second movie and additional ones now. Getting these at good discounts can’t go wrong. Dinosaurs, will always remain popular. In addition the exclusive t-rex set to Lego and Argos here in the uk, being the biggest Lego dinosaur ever released. I can only see this being a “must have” and very lucrative!

Any way, that’s just a small insight to my consensus on some of the current sets available, il add others if people want to know (y). Yet this is all speculative and based on past success and experience.

agree on gingerbread house love this set, i stack certain sets with retirement looming or not these are my 2021 major hit list.

1. Lunar Lander

2. San Francisco

3. Statue of Liberty (i'm worried how deep i am on this already & it could avoid retirement for a few years)

4. Gingerbread House

5.. Dino Fossils 

6. Roller coaster

Edited by joneyyy1981
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

agree on gingerbread house love this set, i stack certain sets with retirement looming or not these are my 2021 major hit list.

1. Lunar Lander

2. San Francisco

3. Statue of Liberty (i'm worried how deep i am on this already & it could avoid retirement for a few years)

4. Gingerbread House

5.. Dino Fossils 

6. Roller coaster

Yeah, if you stack early it can avoid the mass rush near retirement date. The gingerbread house 🏠 will sell well, it will definitely be worth picking up alongside the Christmas carol promotion in bulk this year. I’m also a fan of dinosaur fossils with it here (uk)being exclusive to John Lewis. I managed to get 5 with the last promotion, but it will be one I continue to build when the offer is right. Nearer Black Friday I’m sure John Lewis will repeat the offer. I also like the roller coaster and feel it is is a unique piece, but I personally stick to lower value. Mainly, sub £100 sets in bigger quantities, with exceptions of course. 

9 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

1. Lunar Lander

2. San Francisco

4. Gingerbread House

5.. Dino Fossils 

6. Roller coaster

if I'm thinking 5 years down the road...Roller Coaster may be the white whale for many who missed out....but like the ferris wheel, a roller coaster may get released again with contemporary improvements.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

It’s a year from retiring and we already talking about a rerelease?

if all Lego does is churn out old sets it’s the least of our worries.

what's the point of talking re-release when no one can buy it?

it's a legitimate topic for resellers looking to place their bets now

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

I understand a rerelease of something like Saturn V or even Ship in a Bottle, those are great sets that are exemplars of the thing they are models of. But Rollercoaster is just A rollercoaster, it's a GREAT set, don't get me wrong, but a few years down the line I think it's likely that they will make ANOTHER Rollercoaster, not just rerelease this one.

33 minutes ago, Emvisawthatswho said:

Maybe Lego saw the opportunity to capitalize on the Saturn and ship, rather then let the secondary market get all the coin.

https://apple.news/AGw_eqmHVRRWilsrpXxt5VA

The article says Baby Yoda is expected to be huge.  LEGO should have focused on creating 10 more sets with Baby Yoda in them

At least, they should have put a baby Yoda fig in 92176.  What a missed opportunity :drag:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, legostudmuffin said:

Architecture Shanghai has completely disappeared on lego GB website and the Las Vegas is labeled as retiring soon which is well known by this point. With that being said has anyone run the numbers on how similar the retirement dates are in the us to Europe/GB for LEGO sets in general and also for architecture. 

They tend to be lockstep.  I can only think of a few times when a set retired one place and kept on in the other, although I can't remember which sets they were.

They tend to be lockstep.  I can only think of a few times when a set retired one place and kept on in the other, although I can't remember which sets they were.

I finally caught up on the mess you made.
Even pulled Raven out of the shadows.
Problem is, you’re too helpful.
Answering people’s questions, correcting their mistakes.
How dare you!
Humans have this misguided idea that we’re all created equal. If they can’t find the intel themselves. No one can.
Talk less. Smile more.
Suggest, rather than correct.
Speculate. Use Non-committal language.

Btw, I would expect a different Roller coaster coming out, rather than the same again.
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, legostudmuffin said:

Architecture Shanghai has completely disappeared on lego GB website and the Las Vegas is labeled as retiring soon which is well known by this point. With that being said has anyone run the numbers on how similar the retirement dates are in the us to Europe/GB for LEGO sets in general and also for architecture. 

Amazon just got a bunch in although back at MSRP

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Architecture-Shanghai-21039-Building/dp/B075NWG66Q

4 hours ago, donbee said:

How dare you!
Humans have this misguided idea that we’re all created equal. If they can’t find the intel themselves. No one can.
Talk less. Smile more.

Btw, I would expect a different Roller coaster coming out, rather than the same again.

Redcell smacks down my prognostication...on a fairly regular basis

he speaks his mind...which I respect...we need more of that 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, donbee said:

How dare you!
Talk less. Smile more.

Problem is, too many people like you who don't want to help others.