Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, locidm said:

I don’t read German but why is the not yet released hidden side castle on that list? I notice assembly square is not on it either.

Note that the list is valid for Germany. US could very well have different EOL dates for Sets not yet released

40 minutes ago, legorunner said:

Crazy that Hidden Side is done! Some of those sets haven't even been released in the US yet!!!! I really like the Hidden Side castle that releases in August in the US. I wonder how quickly these will get pushed to good discounts by retailers and how many will even hit the shelves in the states? Talk about a short run... I guess I'll grab one quickly for myself and hope to pick up a few more with a discount. I know its been debated some in the clearance thread, I think some of the sets area really nice for a Halloween theme, but I guess sales have been pretty terrible for LEGO if they are already killing it off...

Definitely a few other surprises as well. 

I'm surprised as well, it's done even quicker than nexo I think. I bought some of them for myself and think they are quite nice in terms of sets and details on the figs. The box art is a mess though. Will wait for the castle to go on clearance. 

• Like 2

No way that Minecraft list is complete. I expect the Creeper Mine and the 2019 sets to be gone by the end of the year also. 21143 is also missing.

Hogwarts Express had better be gone too or else I'll eat a brick. And London and New York just seem to linger on shelves forever.

31 minutes ago, coelian said:

I'm surprised as well, it's done even quicker than nexo I think. I bought some of them for myself and think they are quite nice in terms of sets and details on the figs. The box art is a mess though. Will wait for the castle to go on clearance. 

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing they were planning on killing the theme anyways. Expecting a Ghostbusters theme to come out next year with the movie? Time will tell.

1 minute ago, spener90 said:

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing they were planning on killing the theme anyways. Expecting a Ghostbusters theme to come out next year with the movie? Time will tell.

Yes, they planned to kill Hidden Side eventually (like anything else) but to me it seems like the last-minute decision.. why else would they bring on the market the last wave with the Castle? It costs a lot to make the boxes / packaging, promotion etc.. quite expensive stunt to have it only for a couple of months on a sale if they planned to shut the theme down at the end of the year.

My personal opinion is that Hidden Side sets are not bad primarily - e.g. that orange Bus is simply excellent! and you do not even have to have the app, just the build itself. Its the awful packaging that killed the theme.

• Like 2

Yes, they planned to kill Hidden Side eventually (like anything else) but to me it seems like the last-minute decision.. why else would they bring on the market the last wave with the Castle? It costs a lot to make the boxes / packaging, promotion etc.. quite expensive stunt to have it only for a couple of months on a sale if they planned to shut the theme down at the end of the year.

My personal opinion is that Hidden Side sets are not bad primarily - e.g. that orange Bus is simply excellent! and you do not even have to have the app, just the build itself. Its the awful packaging that killed the theme.

You have to keep in mind the amount of time and money that went into the app and augmented reality research—millions alone lost for what should have been years of sales and games and tv shows etc.

Hidden side sets must have bombed spectacularly for them to tank them this early.

3 hours ago, Kekskrabbe said:

New & very comprehensive 2020 EOL List:

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-end-of-life-eol-2020/

Hmm, interesting. But have some doubts:

Missing Rollercoaster. Prevous carousel was much better set and i would bet all money that also was better selling than rollercoaster - so why let it live longer?

Modulars- there were a lot of unexpexted retirement in the past, so can imagine changing the order. Anyway its a surprice- assembly is expensive set, and i think it was a reason of sooner retirement of Town hall in the past...

Cars - its real to retire 2 VW together- at least camper is here for ages...

10263 - wasnt it retired already in the end of 2019?

Technic- bugatti must retire also, it must have same eol as porsche.

HP - no way to keep the train from 1.wave, while the 2.wave sets are retiring...

The rest is real...

Yes, you are right.. But i thought that R&D with the app develoipment was kinda "spilled" among all the sets. Well. if it tanked so much I hope the final sale would be at least 50 off.. There are so many nice pieces.. like the Lighthouse.

Edited by crayxlp

You have to keep in mind the amount of time and money that went into the app and augmented reality research—millions alone lost for what should have been years of sales and games and tv shows etc.

Hidden side sets must have bombed spectacularly for them to tank them this early.

30 minutes ago, CLMF said:

And London and New York just seem to linger on shelves forever.

I expect those two sets to be out for a while. I get the average life expectancy & all but these are huge best sellers so I'm not sure why SAH would want to get rid of them. Same goes for Disney Castle too. Anyone who didn't dump at least half of their London & NYC inventory over the last four months and use those funds and put them back into more London & NYC needs to rethink their business model.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

I expect those two sets to be out for a while. I get the average life expectancy & all but these are huge best sellers so I'm not sure why SAH would want to get rid of them. Same goes for Disney Castle too. Anyone who didn't dump at least half of their London & NYC inventory over the last four months and use those funds and put them back into more London & NYC needs to rethink their business model.

Sold one of my two NYC, I'm on track.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I would've loved the Hidden Side if it didn't come with any tech. That school bus has my name all over it & I would've loved to have gone deep with this. The app will always bite toy makers invthe a**. The Teddy Ruxpin a few years ago is proof of that. I spent $7k on that & lost $2k

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

HS is the only theme I see left at Walmarts around me.  Anecdotal example, but who knows what the demand would be next year :dontknow:

10 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

I question mine every day.  I did even pick any of these up :drag:

10 minutes ago, fantomas007 said:

Hmm, interesting. But have some doubts:

Missing Rollercoaster. Prevous carousel was much better set and i would bet all money that also was better selling than rollercoaster - so why let it live longer?

Modulars- there were a lot of unexpexted retirement in the past, so can imagine changing the order. Anyway its a surprice- assembly is expensive set, and i think it was a reason of sooner retirement of Town hall in the past...

Cars - its real to retire 2 VW together- at least camper is here for ages...

10263 - wasnt it retired already in the end of 2019?

Technic- bugatti must retire also, it must have same eol as porsche.

HP - no way to keep the train from 1.wave, while the 2.wave sets are retiring...

The rest is real...

10263 has not retired yet and is still available in Europe SAH.

Rollercoaster -> Remember Ferris Wheel? That was around for a total of 3,5 years, so it would not be that surprising for the Rollercoaster to have the same life span.

HP - the sets retiring from the 2019 wave are unpopular sets. As for the train: Maybe the new-found love of AFOLs for trains sparked by Crocodile changed their mind there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kekskrabbe said:

10263 has not retired yet and is still available in Europe SAH.

Rollercoaster -> Remember Ferris Wheel? That was around for a total of 3,5 years, so it would not be that surprising for the Rollercoaster to have the same life span.

HP - the sets retiring from the 2019 wave are unpopular sets. As for the train: Maybe the new-found love of AFOLs for trains sparked by Crocodile changed their mind there.

10263 - i remember it was market as retiring soon on december - thats why i bought them...

I remember ferris, but then carousel had shorter time, so took it as more relevant...

HP - maybe taking just unpopular sets is probably the way, that happen also with the smallest HP set last year.

2 hours ago, Kekskrabbe said:

Note that the list is valid for Germany. US could very well have different EOL dates for Sets not yet released

Just curious, how accurate has stonewars been the last few years? I am travelling next few weeks to neighbouring countries and need to think carefully about what to bring back. Was planning to ship direct to my hotel in France but they no longer accept parcels due to Covid19 so I cna only do in shop purchases. 

20 minutes ago, coelian said:

Just curious, how accurate has stonewars been the last few years? I am travelling next few weeks to neighbouring countries and need to think carefully about what to bring back. Was planning to ship direct to my hotel in France but they no longer accept parcels due to Covid19 so I cna only do in shop purchases. 

They are usually very accurate. However, often times Lego will extend the EOL date of very popular sets which is why I'd use this list as a guideline only.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, coelian said:

It’s by far the most accurate, comprehensive and publicly available list out there for EU that I know of.

Short term changes may occur, but they keep that list very well maintained with all recent Information coming in once they have released it (they added 10257 to last years list at a later point in time, for example).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kekskrabbe said:

It’s by far the most accurate, comprehensive and publicly available list out there for EU that I know of.

Short term changes may occur, but they keep that list very well maintained with all recent Information coming in once they have released it (they added 10257 to last years list at a later point in time, for example).

17 minutes ago, cmartin33 said:

They are usually very accurate. However, often times Lego will extend the EOL date of very popular sets which is why I'd use this list as a guideline only.

Thanks! I'll start thinking carefully about what to load up in the coming weeks/months. In August I will have a new storage area so at least space is less of an issue. 

2 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

Well well so I have to rethink my business model then 🤨

• Like 1