Retiring Soon - open speculation

31 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Haha, yea I didn't want to be mean so I take it back (somewhat).  Plus in all fairness, I am fairly new to the site as well and not too long ago rekindled my love for lego.  However, the "which set is retiring" looks to be more of a guess than anything else.  Unless you have intircate knowlegde on Lego R&D, etc info.  Best bet is just doing research on prior sets in the same theme, etc to get an idea of what might happen.  Even then, it's still anyone's guess, IMO.  My main point, don't be lazy, do some HW first before posting.  I personally don't have any idea and if I'm interested in a set but can't afford it yet do a bit of HW to see if I should pick it up sooner Vs later.  At the end, don't want to get into debt cause of lego... as much as I love them.

I have done a lot of research since I got back into Lego close to a year ago and haven't found anything much eslewhere bar estimates based on when sets came out, this forum is the best source I have found.

I posted that question as a post was reposted earlier of someone confirming that 10256 was retiring and I was wondering if I missed any other confirmations.

I didn't think it would cause an issue, my apologies. 

• Like 1

Just now, BrickBuilderX said:

I have done a lot of research since I got back into Lego close to a year ago and haven't found anything much eslewhere bar estimates based on when sets came out, this forum is the best source I have found.

I posted that question as a post was reposted earlier of someone confirming that 10256 was retiring and I was wondering if I missed any other confirmations.

I didn't think it would cause an issue, my apologies. 

No worries, it was a legit question.  Thinking more about it, probably would be good to have a running tally of what may be retiring as it is.  My reaction was not appropriate and I do apologize for that.  The internet can be a hateful place unfortunately and definitely don't want to add to that, especially in today's world...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

-71040 Disney Castle

- 21047 Vegas

57 minutes ago, Voltron said:

From my understanding (hope someone else can provide some hints or riddles... as I'm just taking educated guesses based on past sets etc) the 2020 big set retirement list (UK, most retiring in Q4/ 2021 Q1 if supply left) is:

- 10255 Assembly Square

- 10256 Taj Mahal

- 10261 Roller Coaster

- 10268 Vestas Turbine

- 21316 Flinstones 

- 21318 Treehouse

- 21320 Dinosaurs Fossil

- 71043 Hogwarts Castle

- 75954 Great Hall

- 75955 Hogwarts Express

42083 Bugatti Chiron

75244 Tantine V

31097 Townhouse Pet Shop Cafe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

No worries, it was a legit question.  Thinking more about it, probably would be good to have a running tally of what may be retiring as it is.  My reaction was not appropriate and I do apologize for that.  The internet can be a hateful place unfortunately and definitely don't want to add to that, especially in today's world...

Thanks for your apology. 

I hope you are able to get the sets you want if any of them are retiring and hard to get hold of.

If anyone is after the Taj Mahal it's still available at John Lewis and the Lego website in the UK last I checked.

Lol unfortunately we aren't going to know anything concrete until later in the year, even then lego can extend products at there wish if there's a sudden surge of sales for them. Do not go by anyone's word on what retiring now, do your own research. There is a lot of people on here that would rather give false info about sets to reduce competition, I've seen many times already people bashing certain sets and stating they haven't picked them up and then after retirements saying they have loads of them. 

Nothing is set in stone, well maybe 21316.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Voltron said:

From my understanding (hope someone else can provide some hints or riddles... as I'm just taking educated guesses based on past sets etc) the 2020 big set retirement list (UK, most retiring in Q4/ 2021 Q1 if supply left) is:

- 10255 Assembly Square

- 10256 Taj Mahal

- 10261 Roller Coaster

- 10268 Vestas Turbine

- 21316 Flinstones 

- 21318 Treehouse

- 21320 Dinosaurs Fossil

- 71043 Hogwarts Castle

- 75954 Great Hall

- 75955 Hogwarts Express

I agree, except 71043 - cannot imagine retiring this HP flagship just after 2 years,  while there are already 3. wave of HP sets (which will be here probably till 2022).

Same with Falcon UCS - somebody mentioned it can go to EOL this year - too soon for me - its a giant, most iconic SW set, coming back after years of crying of fans, and retire it after 3 years? Death star is much worse - and was here 8 years and after short pause re-leased... I can easy imagine that Falcon will have similar life... its big risk to buy it too soon - too big and too expensive set to storage...

1 hour ago, fantomas007 said:

I agree, except 71043 - cannot imagine retiring this HP flagship just after 2 years,  while there are already 3. wave of HP sets (which will be here probably till 2022).

Same with Falcon UCS - somebody mentioned it can go to EOL this year - too soon for me - its a giant, most iconic SW set, coming back after years of crying of fans, and retire it after 3 years? Death star is much worse - and was here 8 years and after short pause re-leased... I can easy imagine that Falcon will have similar life... its big risk to buy it too soon - too big and too expensive set to storage...

I think the CV issue may force changes. There are real reasons why LEGO has to retire sets...even popular ones..if CV SIP rebounds and supply disruption kicks in again and into the fall and possibly winter...no one really knows what could happen.

5 months ago I "could not imagine" pretty much everything thats been happening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goofball814 said:

Can't imagine Tantive IV.  That just came out last year.  Don't UCS usually stick around at least 3 years?

The original falcon was around for just under 3 years I believe, July 2007 to May 2010.  New one released Oct 2017 so it's in line if it follows same pattern.  Also, no big star wars movies on the horizon or at least 2022+ if not further now due to current environment... my money is on it retiring soon.  I'm trying to pick one up for personal just to be safe but who knows...

1 hour ago, raulaco said:

Lol unfortunately we aren't going to know anything concrete until later in the year, even then lego can extend products at there wish if there's a sudden surge of sales for them. Do not go by anyone's word on what retiring now, do your own research. There is a lot of people on here that would rather give false info about sets to reduce competition, I've seen many times already people bashing certain sets and stating they haven't picked them up and then after retirements saying they have loads of them. 

Nothing is set in stone, well maybe 21316.

21316, lol, well played

Angry Old Moses - Imgflip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I think the CV issue may force changes. There are real reasons why LEGO has to retire sets...even popular ones..if CV SIP rebounds and supply disruption kicks in again and into the fall and possibly winter...no one really knows what could happen.

5 months ago I "could not imagine" pretty much everything thats been happening. 

Covid hasn't had as large of an impact on retirement dates as some suspect.  Dates have shifted, but not in any kind of unusual way.

• Like 1

Between retiring sets, current sets, and new releases, covid should be affecting current sets the most. If a set was going to retire soon anyway TLG probably isn't going to use their currently-limited production to pump out another batch just because a previous final batch may not have made it out before the virus hit. On the other end of the spectrum, new sets are probably getting priority right now for production. So that leaves current sets kind of in limbo with limited supply available, but retiring and new sets largely unaffected.

Obviously this is all just my opinion but I'm personally not changing any of my plans in regards to retiring-soon sets because of the virus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redcell said:

Covid hasn't had as large of an impact on retirement dates as some suspect.  Dates have shifted, but not in any kind of unusual way.

That seems like double talk.  If dates haven't changed, then how do dates shift?

The statement LEGO put out back in March (couldn't find the link but it is somewhere on this website) was that no EOL dates would be adjusted due to production issues.  So sets are retiring "as normal" but this year is anything but normal.

• Like 1

That seems like double talk.  If dates haven't changed, then how do dates shift?
The statement LEGO put out back in March (couldn't find the link but it is somewhere on this website) was that no EOL dates would be adjusted due to production issues.  So sets are retiring "as normal" but this year is anything but normal.

Lego alters retirement dates every year. They have done it this year, but not noticeably more than last year.

8 hours ago, LegoTriathlete said:

The original falcon was around for just under 3 years I believe, July 2007 to May 2010.  New one released Oct 2017 so it's in line if it follows same pattern.  Also, no big star wars movies on the horizon or at least 2022+ if not further now due to current environment... my money is on it retiring soon.  I'm trying to pick one up for personal just to be safe but who knows...

Note that the Tantine isn’t part of the UCS series. It’s a play model

1 hour ago, joneyyy1981 said:

- 21320 Dinosaurs Fossil

can anyone really see this going? feels like its been here 5 mins?

Maybe who knows. Only available from john lewis and lego so the problem is do you buy at retail? I don't see any deductions on this set before the end of the year.