Retiring Soon - open speculation

4 hours ago, Hardwired said:

Have we talked about the Chinese New Year sets yet?  I think they're awesome but I don't really get much of a read from anyone on how long they're going to be around and if there is going to be any demand.  

I have no idea about the retirement time frame, but demand......China themed sets have always done well.

16 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I have no idea about the retirement time frame, but demand......China themed sets have always done well.

I flipped a few of the first 2 for double the inflated cost I paid to get them from Asia no problem. The next 3 were obviously easier to get but the dragon boat has already risen sharply after a short availability and I like the prospects of the 2 temple sets a lot. 

19 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

I flipped a few of the first 2 for double the inflated cost I paid to get them from Asia no problem. The next 3 were obviously easier to get but the dragon boat has already risen sharply after a short availability and I like the prospects of the 2 temple sets a lot. 

The latest new year set, the market one, has a bunch of unique elements too. I may have to sit on them for awhile but I think it will pay off eventually. The 80101 sold well but margins weren't great since they all came from asia and the boxes were pretty beat up.

I don't think you can compare these latest two Chinese New Year sets against the first two. At least not in the US. The first 2 were never widely available here, but these are. If anything they would more compare to 80103, the first one to be widely available. 80103 is doing ok, but just ok

18 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

I don't think you can compare these latest two Chinese New Year sets against the first two. At least not in the US. The first 2 were never widely available here, but these are. If anything they would more compare to 80103, the first one to be widely available. 80103 is doing ok, but just ok

I agree, I think 80105 will be a long term hold. The unique elements and play features make it cool. I wouldnt touch any of the others now, especially with global availability. 

6 hours ago, Hardwired said:

What's the punishment for blasphemy on this site anyway?  Mods?

I think you're asking to be tarred and feathered.  There is no such thing.

Too much for me to be able to buy all the sets I'd like to buy! 😃

Edited by Lego Benito

8 hours ago, jeff_14 said:

I was just looking at Dragon Boat this morning, its not that much above RRP at the moment, at least on eBay.  $50 rrp, and currently selling for ~$70-80 on eBay.  Zavvi still has these at close to retail if you're looking.

I was just looking at Dragon Boat this morning, its not that much above RRP at the moment, at least on eBay.  $50 rrp, and currently selling for ~$70-80 on eBay.  Zavvi still has these at close to retail if you're looking.
I see the same. Haven't seen where it has risen sharply at all. Compared with other sets that retired this past winter I would say it is vastly underperforming.

1 minute ago, Shortbus311 said:
8 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

I see the same. Haven't seen where it has risen sharply at all. Compared with other sets that retired this past winter I would say it is vastly underperforming.

I sell in Canada and lowest price on Amazon here is three times retail. 

8 hours ago, scurt1s said:

The latest new year set, the market one, has a bunch of unique elements too. I may have to sit on them for awhile but I think it will pay off eventually. The 80101 sold well but margins weren't great since they all came from asia and the boxes were pretty beat up.

I went to the Lego.com site and changed it over to Asia Pacific, because I wanted to see if there were any sets available there that weren't here this time around.  Not necessarily even to shop but just sort of learn more about them.  Prices aren't listed on the Asian sites, there is a Learn more button.  Is that typical? Where would I then get a list of sets that might be available elsewhere (non-US)?

15 minutes ago, vexxet said:

forgot to post here.  Are the diner and garage modulars gone?

i think there has been some speculation that one, the other or both could potentially retire, but no certainty. i think you will see both come back into stock at some point and then who knows, maybe diner goes but i think the garage may have another year. 

believe the one that a lot of folks were most worried about is assembly square. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcandre said:

Catalog means nothing. SSD had a two page spread when it was already oos for good. 

Looks like a clue, certainly for CG and DD, I don’t recall a time when there were less than two available since GG, guess there is possibility if they reach planned EOL whilst not producing any... as they say “time will tell”...

7FB8F8AE-9261-4C91-9357-29D5FDBD2FF8.jpeg

Has the back of the box ever been anything other than the two modulars immediately preceding it?  I checked my boxes and BS has CG and DD.  And CG has DD and AS. Then DD has AS and BB.  Never understood what the back of the box was supposed to be telling us.

Has the back of the box ever been anything other than the two modulars immediately preceding it?  I checked my boxes and BS has CG and DD.  And CG has DD and AS. Then DD has AS and BB.  Never understood what the back of the box was supposed to be telling us.
Boxes have the two previous modulars going back to fire brigade. I'd have to check GE/PC but those are downstairs and PR had TH but that shouldn't even count as one.

So many acronyms :)