Retiring Soon - open speculation

Is retirement a red herring?

Obviously it doesn't hurt re-sell when a set retires...but what analysis is available to show how sets, as a whole, that retire do?  Like is it 1 in 5 retired sets actually appreciate above "inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, etc"? or more like 1 in 50?

And what about the loss in  in the sets that never do really appreciate?

Obviously it doesn't hurt re-sell when a set retires...but what analysis is available to show how sets, as a whole, that retire do?  Like is it 1 in 5 retired sets actually appreciate above "inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, etc"? or more like 1 in 50?
It is not a red herring. The analysis is straightforward...compare RRP of sets that have retired to the current secondary market rates. If you know the market and make good choices, it is generally in the neighborhood of 5 out of 5 sets that appreciates after retirement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 3

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

You're going to have to research a lot of what you're asking on your own.  There are some articles on this site but most of the information is in the forums.

There is a book you may want to check out too.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Collectible-LEGO-Sets/dp/1440244820/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

You're going to have to research a lot of what you're asking on your own.  There are some articles on this site but most of the information is in the forums.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Collectible-LEGO-Sets/dp/1440244820/

sorry, didn't expect someone to spoon feed the info to me...was wondering how folks here approach retiring sets in general (get it all for the best price or be selective?).  From reading some of the posts...It seems to be like retirement is a siren's song to some ...

sorry, didn't expect someone to spoon feed the info to me...was wondering how folks here approach retiring sets in general (get it all for the best price or be selective?).  From reading some of the posts...It seems to be like retirement is a siren's song to some ...
Many experienced sellers don't wait for the retirement dance, they identify sets for purchase and buy throughout the year(s) at discount and then do a silent happy dance when items retire.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many experienced sellers don't wait for the retirement dance, they identify sets for purchase and buy throughout the year(s) at discount and then do a silent happy dance when items retire.
If you wait for clear Retirement signs, you typically subject yourself to buying @RRP, which means you need the set to appreciate very well to make decent returns (2x-3x RRP). Not many sets do that.

The trick is to understand what causes a set to become desirable, identify the current, non-retiring sets that meet those criteria, and then buy those for well below RRP while still in full availability. That way any gains over RRP immediate result in proper ROI for you.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phil B said:

If you wait for clear Retirement signs, you typically subject yourself to buying @RRP, which means you need the set to appreciate very well to make decent returns (2x-3x RRP). Not many sets do that.

The trick is to understand what causes a set to become desirable, identify the current, non-retiring sets that meet those criteria, and then buy those for well below RRP while still in full availability. That way any gains over RRP immediate result in proper ROI for you.

Sorry for the newb perspective, but it seems like when sets near retirement is when the best bargains seems to be had: ie: recently duing BF madness: OFS, Slave 1, Porsche...unless they were >35% off at some earlier point (tack on Price match and GC hijinks and you're looking at almost 40% off)?

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

57 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Collectible-LEGO-Sets/dp/1440244820/popover-anchor-star-2x.png

Serious question - what advantage could a book like this possibly have over the real time valuations of online sale sites like BrickLink, eBay, and Amazon? 

Sorry for the newb perspective, but it seems like when sets near retirement is when the best bargains seems to be had: ie: recently duing BF madness: OFS, Slave 1, Porsche...unless they were >35% off at some earlier point (tack on Price match and GC hijinks and you're looking at almost 40% off)?
My 2 cents for what it's worth. Yes and no. If you're buying a few sets sure right now is a great time. But if you're buying in volume like many are on here..waiting for the last months of the year is not always optimal in my opinion. The latest Walmart limit and cancellations are an example and may surely branch out to other retailers in the years to come. If I had waited to meet quotas on certain sets for this time of the year the Walmart limitations would have had me playing catchup. The target 10 dollar gc for 50 spent helped to alleviate some of those discounts lost via Walmart and also with those quantity limits.

34 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

What I've found is that certain sets can just go without significant discounts, leaving me ruing missed opportunities for purchases earlier in the year. 

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

wow you high volume guys are like on a different planet from where I'm sitting, but it's awesome to get your perspective

thanks

Don't wait till the last moment to buy like the other guy just said. If you have a set you really like and you think it's worth the investment, you should be buying them anytime there's a sale.

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

You can't buy everything. 

....and you can't take advantage of every deal. Don't dwell on what you missed, look forward to the next score. I used to beat myself up for missing a deal, but come to realize the next deal is right around the corner. Persistence pays.....

• Like 5

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

There are many ways to make money in this business, but it is getting more difficult.  While this might be the "best" time to buy sets, it is certainly not the only time.  The ability to sell on Amazon enables a reseller to get top dollar and exposure and is one of the most important factors today.  While a person can be successful on eBay or Bricklink, it will much more difficult to make a worthwhile profit/wage selling on there.  Choosing the right sets also matters and is more important than timing in my opinion.