Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy
9 hours ago, ChristopherJB said:

The same with WoN right?

WoN has always been untagged in the UK and it still very available everywhere. WoN will do just fine, if not, I'll just have to make only £5 profit on each one ?

Guest TabbyBoy

Since the Tower Bridge has been available since the Big Bang, how long do ya'll think it'll take for it to recover RRP after fees? I'm thinking 2 years, any advances on that? It's a real shame if a superb model of the most beautiful bridge in the World (admit it, no other bridge comes close!) tanks due to over-production and massive hoarding. The forecast isn't good as the Sydney Opera House has bombed, big time.

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Haay said:

Tower Bridge ... recover RRP after fees ? Just look at the performance of Pet Shop. It's retired for two years now, and I could still buy it for ~ €155 NISB (lowest offer on Marktplaats). That's just a tiny bit above RRP.

Another problem is that retailers may have so much stock that it'll be available for years to come, TRU being an example. I think we can expect huge discounts which will, of course, seriously hurt resale values. However the TB is a fantastic set whereas the PS isn't.

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Yellow Castle said:

I have sold a couple of TBs in last year and buyers loved them.

I think TB will do well but only long term and it’s a better set than Sydney and Pet Shop but that’s only my opinion.

It'll take time as those who bought too early with meagre discounts will be glad to sell for RRP just to minimise the loss and to release storage space. I sold most of my TBs at a loss and put that money in to better things which have done well. It'll be a historical moment when it does go and could be the most important retirement to date. I do have some TBs left and I'm tempted to sell them with instructions for the unofficial MOC modular which also looks fantastic.

The big question is, how many years has the VW T1 got left? I really, really need this to go!

21 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

It'll take time as those who bought too early with meagre discounts will be glad to sell for RRP just to minimise the loss and to release storage space. I sold most of my TBs at a loss and put that money in to better things which have done well. It'll be a historical moment when it does go and could be the most important retirement to date. I do have some TBs left and I'm tempted to sell them with instructions for the unofficial MOC modular which also looks fantastic.

The big question is, how many years has the VW T1 got left? I really, really need this to go!

Would not be surprised if they rerelease the Tower Bridge within 18 months to match with the rereleased Big Ben :D

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, Legojona said:

Would not be surprised if they rerelease the Tower Bridge within 18 months to match with the rereleased Big Ben :D

Resurrection or rehash, it'll be one or the other. It all depends how many click on "Add to wishlist" when it retires.

7 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

WoN has always been untagged in the UK and it still very available everywhere. WoN will do just fine, if not, I'll just have to make only £5 profit on each one ?

You are lucky to break even let alone profits. All that money in one set, if you bought 100 shares of Netflix last year, you'd be up $10000 minimum right now.

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Resurrection or rehash, it'll be one or the other. It all depends how many click on "Add to wishlist" when it retires.

I operate on the notion that there are LEGO employees lurking in these forums.

There are pros and cons for people like us to exist, and many of their decisions certainly factor in the impacts we create.

32 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I agree with TabbyBoy, if more people knew about the Lego MOC 11989 Tower Bridge alternate build, more people would stock this away for the future.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

You are lucky to break even let alone profits. All that money in one set, if you bought 100 shares of Netflix last year, you'd be up $10000 minimum right now.

Last year’s stocks had an average growth between 13-20%. You were pretty much earning even if you took a shotgun approach on any stock in the DOW.

It’s easy in hindsight. LEGO is simply another avenue to diversify and hedge your investments.

7 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

It's that easy......?

How about this: If you bought 100 shares of Netflix in June-July of this year, you'd be down a minimum of $5,000 right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dx0520 said:

I operate on the notion that there are LEGO employees lurking in these forums.

There are pros and cons for people like us to exist, and many of their decisions certainly factor in the impacts we create.

There are LEGO employees lurking on all the major fan forums.  This is fact.

16 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

5 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

It's that easy......?

How about this: If you bought 100 shares of Netflix in June-July of this year, you'd be down a minimum of $5,000 right now.

Even if you did buy 100 shares of NFLX on 11/29/2017, you would be up 53.7% YoY.

I would not be doing this if that was my annualized return on LEGO.  And like it was mentioned yesterday, this is hardly gambling for people who know what they're doing.  And people who know what they're doing are probably not buying WoNs.

46 minutes ago, dx0520 said:

Last year’s stocks had an average growth between 13-20%. You were pretty much earning even if you took a shotgun approach on any stock in the DOW.

It’s easy in hindsight. LEGO is simply another avenue to diversify and hedge your investments.

Last year is last year.  LEGO might be "better than stocks" in 2019.

Guest TabbyBoy
41 minutes ago, carini26 said:

Even if you did buy 100 shares of NFLX on 11/29/2017, you would be up 53.7% YoY.

I would not be doing this if that was my annualized return on LEGO.  And like it was mentioned yesterday, this is hardly gambling for people who know what they're doing.  And people who know what they're doing are probably not buying WoNs.

WoN is being slagged off so much on here that it has to be the dark horse of the year.... or is it reverse psychology? I've done OK and got it wrong a few times (eg. Tower Bridge, Pet Shop, Red 5 & T1), but I stand by my faith with WoN. The less of them you lot have, the better it is for me.

I had a lucky escape with crypto and sold 90% of it back in February, I'd be gutted if I still had it all now. 2019 will be even worse and we may not even see it at all in 2020.

Edited by TabbyBoy