Retiring Soon - open speculation

6 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Explain...

Well, to someone who doesn’t know your credentials it provides no context. Besides that, it looks self serving, in that your recommendation (to somebody asking why this book instead of current websites) is to pay you. Even ignoring those, you provide no actual reasons why the book is worth reading.  

My initial point was that it seems foolish for anybody to spend any money on a book that was by definition outdated the minute it was published, and you provided no evidence to the contrary. That’s not just cocky, it’s bad business. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, calmdahn said:

Well, to someone who doesn’t know your credentials it provides no context. Besides that, it looks self serving, in that your recommendation (to somebody asking why this book instead of current websites) is to pay you. Even ignoring those, you provide no actual reasons why the book is worth reading.  

My initial point was that it seems foolish for anybody to spend any money on a book that was by definition outdated the minute it was published, and you provided no evidence to the contrary. That’s not just cocky, it’s bad business. 

Why would you want any advice since the moment it’s posted it’s outdated. This game doesn’t change much from year to year. Read up grasshopper

3 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

By the way, I really don’t know you. I assume one of the moderators is the guy from Jersey who appears in the Brickpicker videos, but if that’s you or somebody else I have no clue. My thoughts about those videos are that he always provides just enough information to keep people watching them, but is almost certainly holding back the most useful information for himself. Those videos are closer to being up to the minute information and I take them with a huge grain of salt. Why would I expect that a very outdated book would be any different especially if the best reason the author can provide to buy it is the fallacy of the argument from authority?

Edited by calmdahn

1 minute ago, jeff_14 said:

What’s that sonny? I didn’t hear it. It was written or something. Seriously, why are you here if you’re just going to double guess and annoy long respected members?

I’m not trying to annoy anybody. I’m just asking for a few actual reasons why anybody should spend money on a paper book when the internet, including this site, has unlimited free information from many different experts. If you’re going to use the fallacy from authority as the only argument for me to spend my money, there are lots of experts here who are giving their information away for free. 

18 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

First off, if you knew me and were familiar with this site, you would realize the answer was meant to be somewhat sarcastic and funny.  Secondly, I didn't recommend it, nor have I pitched the book for years.  Yes, the prices are outdated, but there is useful information in the book for novices, plus it's a really nice book.  Bad business?  LOL...Don't you have to make money from something for it to be a business?  The book made me practically nothing.  I have't received a check in over a year.  But it was a cool experience to write two books and to write monthly articles for BLOCKS magazine and I can tell people that I am "published."  

15 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

By the way, I really don’t know you. I assume one of the moderators is the guy from Jersey who appears in the Brickpicker videos, but if that’s you or somebody else I have no clue. My thoughts about those videos are that he always provides just enough information to keep people watching them, but is almost certainly holding back the most useful information for himself. Those videos are closer to being up to the minute information and I take them with a huge grain of salt. Why would I expect that a very outdated book would be any different especially if the best reason the author can provide to buy it is the fallacy of the argument from authority?

Well let me introduce myself.  I am the co-owner/creator of the site and I am from NJ, but I do not do the well done videos, belljohn does.  For a person who talks a big game, you certainly don't pay attention.  You have 358 posts and have been on the site for a year.  A quick search on the internet can do wonders... 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/27/lego-investors-profit/1732525/

I agree, the real good information is on this forum and from all of its diversified and intelligent members.  People like belljohn and I don't do this for money, it's a passion.  Enjoy the site...

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

First off, if you knew me and were familiar with this site, you would realize the answer was meant to be somewhat sarcastic and funny.  Secondly, I didn't recommend it, nor have I pitched the book for years.  Yes, the prices are outdated, but there is useful information in the book for novices, plus it's a really nice book.  Bad business?  LOL...Don't you have to make money from something for it to be a business?  The book made me practically nothing.  I have't received a check in over a year.  But it was a cool experience to write two books and to write monthly articles for BLOCKS magazine and I can tell people that I am "published."  

Well let me introduce myself.  I am the co-owner/creator of the site and I am from NJ, but I do not do the well done videos, belljohn does.  For a person who talks a big game, you certainly don't pay attention.  You have 358 posts and have been on the site for a year.  A quick search on the internet can do wonders... 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/27/lego-investors-profit/1732525/

I agree, the real good information is on this forum and from all of its diversified and intelligent members.  People like belljohn and I don't do this for money, it's a passion.  Enjoy the site...

How the heck do I “talk a big game???”

3 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

So is 10259 Winter Village Station is done?

for the 135th time yes it is...

That damn Ed Mack character getting this thread off topic again,  should go write a book or something...

still have my book on the bottom shelf of my night stand.

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

for the 135th time yes it is...

That damn Ed Mack character getting this thread off topic again,  should go write a book or something...

still have my book on the bottom shelf of my night stand.

Taught you everything you know!  Mail it to me...I can autograph it for you.   ✍️

5 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

P.S. sarcasm still doesn’t work in print

i was simply trying to give you an opportunity to tell me about the real best reasons to buy the book. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Fair enough.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

I'm a simple person.  Bama hat, Braves hat, brewery magazine, Disney castle instructions and the Mack book.  

IMG_20181203_233344.jpg

Bless you my son!  You are a true believer!

2 minutes ago, vexxet said:

i just bought a bunch of Lego Joker steamrollers from some guy named Terry.  I am on my way I tell you.

Did I ever tell you that I love that set?

• Like 1