Retiring Soon - open speculation

For whats it worth, over on Brickmerge.de (German Lego Price site) plenty sets got the "Auslaufartikel" tag, which just means "Retiring soon".
I don't know where they got that info and I also don't know if this means something or if it's complete nonsense.
Anyway here is the Link to the site: https://www.brickmerge.de/?find=Auslaufartikel

A few of the bigger ones are:

Snowspeeder, Ferris Wheel, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Tower Bridge, Old Fishing Store, NASA Apollo Saturn V, Parisian Restaurant, Detectives Office, Bucket Wheel Excavator, Technic Extreme Adventure....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grabbitfast said:

Even if Saturn v was a dead cert to go, I still wouldn't pile in.

My neighbour has a garage full of these and he has no interest in Lego whatsoever, but plans to sell them off in four years time when he retires.

So you’re saying Saturn V is good money in 2 and 3 years? ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grabbitfast said:

My neighbour has a garage full of these and he has no interest in Lego whatsoever, but plans to sell them off in four years time when he retires.

- does he even care about the humidity, temperature drops etc.. ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

So you’re saying Saturn V is good money in 2 and 3 years? ;) 

you know pretty well that all (lego) is a gamble..  for instance.. who would / might be the potential buyers in 3 yrs ahead:

a) parents getting a gift for kids who like Space / NASA program
b) juniors (16-21) who did not have enough money to purchase it in life time
c) elders / retired seeing that as a perfect gift for the grandchildren
d) NASA fans.. - still , one would expect to get their own copy within the lifetime of the set
... xyz.. its been overhoarded, as has been posted here several times before, so the gain would be pretty tricky. Literally the SH costs would play the major role.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

you know pretty well that all (lego) is a gamble..  for instance.. who would / might be the potential buyers in 3 yrs ahead:

a) parents getting a gift for kids who like Space / NASA program
b) juniors (16-21) who did not have enough money to purchase it in life time
c) elders / retired seeing that as a perfect gift for the grandchildren
d) NASA fans.. - still , one would expect to get their own copy within the lifetime of the set
... xyz.. its been overhoarded, as has been posted here several times before, so the gain would be pretty tricky. Literally the SH costs would play the major role.

Actually after first sentence I couldn’t finish your post. No disrespect, I just disagree.  Lego is such a safe bet, at the right price (the price that all lego hunters get, nothing impossible), with barely few exceptions it’s always an arm sweep. My exact thinking each time I do that is “I won’t lose money no matter what, I may not make as much as I hope but I won’t lose $.

Who’s gonna be buying it one year after retirement? 

First of course Amazon shoppers. Doesn’t matter who they are. 

At the right price it’s a buy (just like the rest of lego) or an arm sweep too if the price is right right. 

1 minute ago, Lordoflego said:

Actually after first sentence I couldn’t finish your post. No disrespect, I just disagree.  Lego is such a safe bet, at the right price (the price that all lego hunters get, nothing impossible), with barely few exceptions it’s always an arm sweep. My exact thinking each time I do that is “I won’t lose money no matter what, I may not make as much as I hope but I won’t lose $.

Who’s gonna be buying it one year after retirement? 

First of course Amazon shoppers. Doesn’t matter who they are. 

At the right price it’s a buy (just like the rest of lego) or an arm sweep too if the price is right right. 

fair enough, we just have different experiences.. you live in a country with 300+ milllion potential buyers whereas my territory is something between 10-14 mil .. with additional shipping costs I could count with some 80 mil potential buyers.. its just what I wrote before.. that the key lays in SH costs. (not to mention some currency Exch rates)

3 hours ago, grabbitfast said:

Selling Saturn Vs four years from now & ignoring next years 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing is a excellent strategy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

Selling Saturn Vs four years from now & ignoring next years 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing is a excellent strategy 

Be hard competing for sales with SAH and Amazon next year, though.

9 hours ago, grabbitfast said:

I didn´t know @tabbyboy lived near you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I'm surprised that 75144 has been labelled as 'Retiring Soon'; it's a nice looking set and always struck me as decent value at RRP. 

That said, if I remember correctly, it was the only UCS set discounted by 20% during the May Fourth weekend in the UK, so perhaps it hasn't been a great seller.  I have a couple - and I think it will do reasonably well, but my only reservation is that in the UK they're a Smyth's exclusive so there's a possibility that they'll still be available well after it's been discontinued!

If they don't retire 75060 by the end of 2018, I wonder if there's a chance that they update the box-art to the new UCS style as it looks a little out of step with the Falcon & Y-Wing!

Add Ghostbusters HQ and Slave 1 to my prediction list of next retirements. No "Retiring Soon" label at SAH yet, but they are just following the same pricing changes that Minicooper and Snowspeeder had before they officially got tagged. It sures looks like both Big Ben and Tower Bridge are going around the same time.

There are a lot of large sets on the way out in the near future especially the Creator Expert line. Hopefully that means some cool new sets for 2019.

14 minutes ago, southendsox said:

Add Ghostbusters HQ and Slave 1 to my prediction list of next retirements. No "Retiring Soon" label at SAH yet, but they are just following the same pricing changes that Minicooper and Snowspeeder had before they officially got tagged. It sures looks like both Big Ben and Tower Bridge are going around the same time.

There are a lot of large sets on the way out in the near future especially the Creator Expert line. Hopefully that means some cool new sets for 2019.

Funny, Snowspeeder retiring made me think Slave 1 was going to stick around for a while longer...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, southendsox said:

1000.jpg

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
On 9/3/2018 at 8:46 AM, Val-E said:

Be hard competing for sales with SAH and Amazon next year, though.

I didn´t know @tabbyboy lived near you.

I do, I'm always telling him to turn down his music and stopping his friends from parking their Citroen Saxo's on my driveway ?

The Saturn V will have to stay around until the Mars Rover is resurrected.