Retiring Soon - open speculation

13 hours ago, LegoBro said:

My 2 cents which arent worth much - Silent Mary...well..it's selling below RRP on ebay. At least 25 to 50 bucks below. On Amazon..has a pretty high sales rank at the 199 price which means it's not flying off the shelves. If you can get at a real good discount may be worth getting some..if not, probably other sets worth looking into. Things become a lot clearer towards the end of the year as to what will retire as you probably know. Saturns..hoarded like crazy last year. Will be hoarded again this year as it retires. Will be a good seller after EOL...how fast the price will climb with so many sellers is another story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Ok Thanks!

13 hours ago, crayxlp said:

The issue is that you take into your calculations only "screams" around here. Im pretty sure there are some whales who can afford to spend hundreds of thousand into anything.. and they probably wouldnt look left or right or think twice if the Mary ship is a good prospect or not. With that kind of funds these ppl have, they probably get such a discount we can never dream of.

+ do not forget, that at the times of Amazon + ebay anybody in the world can be your competition. South Korean SAH shop still has Temple of Airjitzu, Palace Cinema and other sets already retired in EU and US.. and when South Koreans get their "sales" in a few months, they would be in a situation when these sets would be around a year or more already retired worldwide and they could choose whether to get them at ridiculous prices . or pass them given the overall performance after retirement..  there is always somebody smarter or with better chances than you (we) think..  no wonder there are so many Korean ebay sellers

Alright.

6 hours ago, Val-E said:

If no one is buying it at normal price, who is going to flock to it on retirement and pay a premium? Pirates that have been offshore for the last 2 years?

POTC is pretty popular AND they are making a sixth movie which comes out in two years so I'm still sticking to my SM. Also NO ONE buys it at normal price, if you look at almost EVERY LEGO SET if while it is still available it is selling below MSRP on ebay,  except for the Saturn for a while.......(capitalism done for emphasis not screaming :) )

23 minutes ago, netacid said:

Any idea on which will retire first? Carousel or Ferris Wheel?

I'm hoping I have at least a month to grab both before either starts to go.

Logic dictates the Ferris Wheel should be retiring first. It's from 2015, while the Carousel is from 2017.

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Haay said:

Logic dictates the Ferris Wheel should be retiring first. It's from 2015, while the Carousel is from 2017.

A bit like the Tower Bridge retiring before the Sydney Opera House and the VW Camper before the F40 - LOL.

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

A bit like the Tower Bridge retiring before the Sydney Opera House and the VW Camper before the F40 - LOL.

That's why I put a big bold should in my sentence. I hoped people would catch my drift that LEGO retirements do not always follow logic... ;) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
On 7/22/2018 at 6:19 PM, tacsniper said:

I am hearing rumors the Harry Potter is already at it's end of life. Due to retire before Christmas. :devil:

It won't surprise me as it's an old theme and some fans now have new interests. Like Angry Birds, too little too late. I'll not be buying any HP sets.

How about a Resurrecting Soon thread? We already have the Taj Mahal and the Eiffel Tower then Cafe Corner could be next.

39 minutes ago, Brickbuilder.g said:

Any update on what’s retiring now? I know summer seems to be harder to track...

Check out EU SAH. We had our summer clearance sale and a number of sets bit the dust including the Chiron, Technic Jet and some TLBM ones.

44 minutes ago, Brickbuilder.g said:

USA is having a bunch of sets on sale so we think those all go?? I can’t see the skiff retiring already but maybe

target is clearancing skiff so its pretty much a sure thing.  

all many of the sets on sale have been clearanced at walmart which for me is a very strong indicator of impending retirement.   many are already oos no more webpage at target.  several sets are already retired in europe.  a few sets had very limited availability and quickly went to call to check. 

i'll leave it for you to figure all those details out.

perfect reseller scum storm/dream come true for recent clearance hoarders if large percentage of these sets go EOL before the holiday selling season - especially because the annoying reservoir of slightly above msrp on shelf stock @  TOYS R US is out of the game.  :devil:  ?

in store stock of many of these sets is already very thin at target and walmart.

things could get very expensive very quickly if we see some surprise C2C. 

already trying to figure out what i can do (e.g. what flavor pie to pick up)  to make up for my next binder.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

All things being equal, I would agree that the train is the one to go this year...but I don't know.  What's the stranger situation?  A train with no train station, or a train station with no train?  I  could see TLG retiring the station first, as it would seem a bit odd to have a train station available to purchase, but no train to put with it.  

And if this retires, look out.  Three years of train sales with 1 year of train station sales?  This set could challenge the post office and bakery rather quickly, I think.

Edited by Dr Jedi
  • Like 1