Retiring Soon - open speculation

21 hours ago, cladner said:

ok - lets break this nugget down...

round and round:  ferris wheel

bank - brick bank?

jokes on me:  joker manor?

which exclusive  should i type up my capital in and lower my cagr for this year???

all of these large exclusives will be smoked investment performance wise by a $3.97 walmart dino poly (or say a box of 50) or the second chewie edition Millennium falcon microfighter bought at $7.

Agreed. The bigger winners are smaller sets, not modulars and UCS. Their big gainz days are over. Having said that I remember in 2015 how some one responded to a comment I made about diversification where they responded "Why diversity when you can just buy a whole bunch of Pet Shops". Almost every man and his dog have done that already.

20 hours ago, mtchrs said:

Big W in Australia was selling the GBHQ for $200 (RRP $500) so that’s probably a sign it’s going.

Big W are a great place to buy sets at insane prices (if you can get them). A bIg dub clearance is no sign of retirement though

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Haay said:

What the hell? Sooner than the Slave 1 ?

75144 Retiring Soon.png

Smart move in my opinion on LEGO sales team.. they must be fed up with how (everyone here) thinks how predictable LEGO is.. that this and that set will stay for that and that period.. while others are bound to retire specifically on December 31.. this will bring some thrill into the game :) 

13 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

Smart move in my opinion on LEGO sales team.. they must be fed up with how (everyone here) thinks how predictable LEGO is.. that this and that set will stay for that and that period.. while others are bound to retire specifically on December 31.. this will bring some thrill into the game :) 

There must be a mistake!!!! I still would prefer no warnings and just disappeared though. Now watch the madness from all the last minute buyers to snap this set up. Then LEGO will move the retire soon tag back to Slave 1

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

I think the sales of this set were a joke...that's why it's retiring. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

I think the sales of this set were a joke...that's why it's retiring. 

thats an interesting idea.. so based on your interpretation we could also assume that UCS Y-Wing would be a poor seller? Because these two are pretty similar - both iconic vessels, long time retired, same price/size. . 

Just now, crayxlp said:

thats an interesting idea.. so based on your interpretation we could also assume that UCS Y-Wing would be a poor seller? Because these two are pretty similar - both iconic vessels, long time retired, same price/size. . 

We will find out.  The UCS Red 5 X-Wing was scheduled for retirement until people got wind it was retiring and then it came back into production.  Listen, if many big time collectors already have the original versions, why rush out and get these duplicates?   The new versions are just not that much better IMO.  I still don't have either the new Snowspeeder or B-Wing because I have the originals sitting in my office. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

Both are also remakes.  While better than their predecessors, remakes nevertheless.   

I also think folks are kinda tired of Star Wars after the last 2 films.  There is also probably some Lego Star Wars fatigue sprinkled in there. 

If truly retired, I will 100% be a decent set to own. Unfort, if it gets too pricey, some prospective buyers will end up a fake one or the original so it puts a ceiling on the price. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaisonline said:

Both are also remakes.  While better than their predecessors, remakes nevertheless.   

I also think folks are kinda tired of Star Wars after the last 2 films.  There is also probably some Lego Star Wars fatigue sprinkled in there. 

SW fatigue in general, not just LEGO. I called it that this was going to happen as soon as Disney announced their movie plans. It was way too much, and them being bad does not help either. 

Just now, jaisonline said:

Disney is just milking the SW until nobody would be willing to pay 10 cents for a chewing gum with "exclusive sticker" wrapped iinside at the cashier in grocery store..  :sick: 

(p.s. I remember from my childhood one of those with Terminator 2 stickers.. :) .. )

It can be a mistake, because:

1. no one other set is labeled with Retiring soon + this is not time for such messages - they are coming on november/december.

2. if I remember correctly, EOL after less than 2 years had just 2 UCS sets - Bwing and Assault on Hoth - worst UCS sets ever. Primarly AoH was epic fail, but was labeled Retiring soon just in the end of 2017, no sign of retiring on summer 2017 - and this set was 100x worse than Snowspeeder...

I can imagine shorter EOL for Snowspeeder, since it is a remake, not so popular set and have bigger discounts than other UCS sets, but no sooner than in the end of 2018 / middle of 2019.

4 hours ago, southendsox said:

I've been seeing weird pricing fluctuations on the Snowspeeder for a couple weeks now and was wondering if it meant the end. If my logic was right, Ferris Wheel, Big Ben and Tower Bridge are all done finally.

Big Ben...hmmm, are you serious on that one?

8 hours ago, freakchem said:

Big Ben...hmmm, are you serious on that one?

No not sure of any of these and never any guarantees with LEGO. Just looks like it from pricing fluctuations in the US. It turned out to be right on Snowspeeder and Mini Cooper. Big Ben, Tower Bridge and Ferris Wheel are all showing similar pricing changes. 

3 hours ago, kaczy said:

Snowspeeder with 'retiring soon' label but still with buy limit 5 pcs.? Propably they want to increase the interest because they have full warehouse of this set.

They did this last year with the Palace Cinema, complete with FaceBook post. Created some initial panic the resulted in "sold out", only to come back in stock for the holiday season...but did retire soon after.

IMO it is on the way out this season, but they are just trying to generate some "panic" to offload remaining stock.

• Like 1