Retiring Soon - open speculation

• 3 weeks later...

When do you guys think the Old Fishing Store will retire? I thought I could pick one up and get the creative story freebie and the voucher. I just don't know if I should use my money for a silent mary instead? I noticed that neither set appeared in the Lego 2018 Summer catalog. The Silent mary has been in EVERY catalog since its release so since they took it out it might retire soon. The old fishing store appeared like in two catalogs over the past year, so it not being in one isn't surprising. BUT Ideas sets typically last 8months to 16 months! WHAT TO DO. Silent mary or old fishing store?

25 minutes ago, Saruman said:

When do you guys think the Old Fishing Store will retire? I thought I could pick one up and get the creative story freebie and the voucher. I just don't know if I should use my money for a silent mary instead? I noticed that neither set appeared in the Lego 2018 Summer catalog. The Silent mary has been in EVERY catalog since its release so since they took it out it might retire soon. The old fishing store appeared like in two catalogs over the past year, so it not being in one isn't surprising. BUT Ideas sets typically last 8months to 16 months! WHAT TO DO. Silent mary or old fishing store?

I think that both are very obvious choices for anybody reselling (aka "investing") into LEGO. It could also play certain factor in decision making whether you plan later on insist only on local collection or would be willing also to ship - as that bloody ship is so awfully flat and large, that it just "asks" for some USPS damage along the way.. (bloody USPS has been holding my 1000+ USD laptop in transit between "USPS facilities" since May 1!!! )

Edited by crayxlp

28 minutes ago, Saruman said:

Go for the Old Fishing Store. I wouldn't touch the touch the Silent Mary if my life depended on it. You should be able to get OFS for 30% off if you know what you're doing. Buy 500 of them now & you'll at least have $25k profit this time next year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LegoSteve said:

Go for the Old Fishing Store. I wouldn't touch the touch the Silent Mary if my life depended on it. You should be able to get OFS for 30% off if you know what you're doing. Buy 500 of them now & you'll at least have $25k profit this time next year. 

500 of them.. does that even fit on a single palet.. ?

9 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

I already got a Silent mary(For investing) I figured since the past two POTC ships did well I should get this one. I kind of wanted two but I wanted to buy the Old Fishing store from Lego to get the freebie although I would be spending more than I needed to. I think I should figure out how much the Creative storybook is selling for and then find out if spending $30 extra dollars on the OFS is worth it. Thanks Everyone.

18 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

I think that both are very obvious choices for anybody reselling (aka "investing") into LEGO. It could also play certain factor in decision making whether you plan later on insist only on local collection or would be willing also to ship - as that bloody ship is so awfully flat and large, that it just "asks" for some USPS damage along the way.. (bloody USPS has been holding my 1000+ USD laptop in transit between "USPS facilities" since May 1!!! )

Is the Silent mary box THAT much bigger than the Old fishing store?

14 minutes ago, Saruman said:

Is the Silent mary box THAT much bigger than the Old fishing store?

According to BrickLink 

SM
Weight: 2800g 
Size: 58 x 48 x 9 cm 

OFS
Weight: 2700g 
Size: 47.8 x 37.7 x 10.7 cm 

OFS was JUST released in September and is showing 0 signs of retirement. Silent Mary was released in April 2017, and is also showing 0 signs of retirement. I don't think either are "bad" investment choices, but there's a whole lot of stuff that will go sooner. 

I think you may be being trolled a bit. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Achilles said:

OFS was JUST released in September and is showing 0 signs of retirement. Silent Mary was released in April 2017, and is also showing 0 signs of retirement. I don't think either are "bad" investment choices, but there's a whole lot of stuff that will go sooner. 

I think you may be being trolled a bit. 

You'll definitely want to go for something that goes EOL sooner. Keep in mind OFS is a Ideas theme & $200 set like SM dont have the same ROI as the used too. I'm sitting on a couple dozen Simpsons house & if I had to do it all over again I would've picked up more architecture sets that went eol over the last 2 years. I'm done with $200 sets.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

You'll definitely want to go for something that goes EOL sooner. Keep in mind OFS is a Ideas theme & $200 set like SM dont have the same ROI as the used too. I'm sitting on a couple dozen Simpsons house & if I had to do it all over again I would've picked up more architecture sets that went eol over the last 2 years. I'm done with $200 sets.

Image result for can i get an amen gif

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

Any idea on what will go EOL soon? Also are there other signs pointing to retirement besides OOS?

Just now, Saruman said:

Any idea on what will go EOL soon? Also are there other signs pointing to retirement besides OOS?

Dont have any hard Intel but Stephanie's House & Saturn V should be gone in Nov/Dec. My distributor called me a month ago and was trying to sell me Saturn Vs for $77 each because their going EOL soon.

Just now, LegoSteve said:

Dont have any hard Intel but Stephanie's House & Saturn V should be gone in Nov/Dec. My distributor called me a month ago and was trying to sell me Saturn Vs for $77 each because their going EOL soon.

I am NEVER GOING to buy a Saturn V. Sorry, but I think it is too hoarded. I mean tabbyboy has 250 of them and a bunch of other people are stockpiling them and I think the supply will outweigh demand. As for stephanies house, does that actually go up in value? I have NEVER thought of friends sets as something to invest in unless it is over 80% off ;) . The only reason I think the silent mary will do well is because the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's revenge did excellent.

Just now, Val-E said:

Rogue One Star Wars sets are a pretty safe bet, as is Nexo.

I guess I will start looking for over 40% discounts, should be too hard. right??

8 minutes ago, Saruman said:

I am NEVER GOING to buy a Saturn V. Sorry, but I think it is too hoarded. I mean tabbyboy has 250 of them and a bunch of other people are stockpiling them and I think the supply will outweigh demand. As for stephanies house, does that actually go up in value? I have NEVER thought of friends sets as something to invest in unless it is over 80% off ;) . The only reason I think the silent mary will do well is because the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's revenge did excellent.

I guess I will start looking for over 40% discounts, should be too hard. right??

Silent Mary is more Piggy´s Pirate Ship than Queen Anne´s Revenge in terms of resale potential.

• Like 3

Keep in mind QM is at the tail end of a theme that has little traction left.

As for the Friends theme, folks who grabbed all the Friends exclusives when TRU shuttered is celebrating. Friends is under the radar which is why I go in on it. 

Saturn V will be big next year for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing...if you actually believe that really happened.

19 minutes ago, Saruman said:

. As for stephanies house, does that actually go up in value? I have NEVER thought of friends sets as something to invest in unless it is over 80% off ;) . The only reason I think the silent mary will do well is because the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's revenge did excellent.

Lol.  Emma, Olivia, and Livi and their respective houses would all beg to differ.  

Silent marry looks like a flying Tower of Orthanc.  Will have a very small narrow after market in my opinion.  i wouldn't even buy 1 to invest in.

• Like 2

Feels like this thread has been pretty quiet recently.

I'm planning to grab a few Saturn V's too - not huge numbers but I feel like I'd be mad not to buy just few. Locally it still sells ~20% over RRP when stores run out of stock. Surely that's a good sign - it was with Wall-E!

In terms of upcoming retirements, surely the UCS Slave 1 must be due for retirement in the next few months? Along with GBHQ, Parisian Restaurant, Ferris Wheel, Mini Cooper. And who knows when the Tower Bridge and VW Camper might bite the dust.
I'm also curious how long the Disney Castle will last. That one seems to be sitting under the radar since it was released...

Maybe also the Capitol Building and SRG Museum from the Architecture line?