Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, Shewie said:

Slave I will be taking serious role in new Han Solo movie so I'd rather take this information with some reservations.
If I'd make a call, that would be Tie or AoH... or both.

Ok so time for a thermometer test:

99% sure: Simpsons sets, TIE Fighter, Palace Cinema, WInter Toy Shop, Batcave, ToA, SHIELD (8)

50% sure: AoH, Slave1 (2)

outside bets: T1, Tower Bridge, Minecraft Village, Mini, Parisian Restaurant, Fairground wheel (6)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Star Wars Clone Turbo Tank, StarScavenger , k2so, and Eclipse Fighter are all call to check.  again validating walmart's clearance as a predictor of EOL.  

I agree it validates Walmart clearance as one of the better predictors. As for individual sets, I'd only go so far as that It improves their odds of retiring soon greatly, but only because there always seem to be a few outliers. The Falcon would be a prime example where people were reporting great clearance prices about a year ago and it just now sells out on US SAH. For 90-95% of the sets it would seem to be spot on. Indication of no more production runs and that stores will get no additional stock?

Slave I will be taking serious role in new Han Solo movie so I'd rather take this information with some reservations.
If I'd make a call, that would be Tie or AoH... or both.

So time to release the 4th version of the sub-$100 set with characters from the movie, unless Bespin guards and blocks of Carbonite play a serious role in the movie, too.

I think there's been hints of a cloud city coming too next year...  So, I think that AOH going away would not be too shocking.  It's a set that hasn't really gotten a lot of love, although who knows how well it has sold.  I personally don't hate it, myself and think it's one of those sets that kids especially will get months of play value out of.  I just haven't bought any until yesterday.  Where will it go as an investment?  Well, judging from Lego Star Wars history, sets related to the Battle of Hoth have traditionally done very well.

I also am in agreement that with the Han Solo film coming up, and with the MF, and Boba Fett rumored to be in the film, I just think they would be smart to hold the Slave 1 a little while longer.  Why retire that one when it's popular and the movie will give it further legs.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

Just remember, A-Wing vs Vader sold out this time last year. It was back in full force several times.

true but it was a premonition of EOL - the set retired by the end of the year and was one of the shortest production star wars sets in a long time.  doing the dance .  even if you fell for the head fake and bought in to A-wing vs Tie fighter in the $50s, that decision is looking pretty good with lowest FBA hitting $113 and seller count relatively low in the 40s.  

meantime, carbon freezing chamber and millennium falcon are now SOLD OUT.

Edited by cladner

21 minutes ago, cladner said:

meantime, carbon freezing chamber and millennium falcon are now SOLD OUT.

always after May the 4th & Force Friday... all SW sets get wiped out, and sold out, and on backorder, and the sky is falling...

meanwhile Lego is putting out new production run orders as we speak for all these "wiped out sets" illusion to the naked eye we have here.... 

Edited by Deanfjr

15 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

always after May the 4th & Force Friday... all SW sets get wiped out, and sold out, and on backorder, and the sky is falling...

meanwhile Lego is putting out new production run orders as we speak for all these "wiped out sets" illusion to the naked eye we have here.... 

yes - i am waiting a bit before i go out and clear out local stock to see if this is the old out of promos and tired of selling stuff at 10% discount so lets slap sold out on it but something to keep an eye on.

the fact that amazon is sold out of the carbon freezing chamber and only 3p sellers certainly would make it seem that EOL is imminent.  

Edited by cladner

3 minutes ago, eliminator said:

Yea, we're almost sold out! 

IMG_1948.PNG

Yeah, who doesn't remember the continuous production runs of Red 5, Pet Shop, etc... but with all the new movie releases and especially the compressed time frame between Episode 8 and the Han Solo film, they are going to have to do away with sets now to clear space.  Think about it!  The last jedi wave just hit... 3 more months, we got the winter wave coming that has about 15 sets.  Then a few months after that is the Han Solo movie wave of 5 sets.  

Are they going to ramp up production runs on sets from Rogue One, the Force Friday Force Awakens wave, or the old winter waves from 2016?  No.

• Like 2

They also extended those sets  back then as there were huge sales spikes at the end. That does not happen as much anymore.   

There are just under 600 active sets available with a little over half going by end of year.   Doesn't mean you won't be able to find them for awhile to come.  

Heck even some LEGO stores have a dozen volcano lairs on sale and retired that are not being bought.  

Comes down to chosing the right sets that are retiring.  

46 minutes ago, cladner said:

yes - i am waiting a bit before i go out and clear out local stock to see if this is the old out of promos and tired of selling stuff at 10% discount so lets slap sold out on it but something to keep an eye on.

the fact that amazon is sold out of the carbon freezing chamber and only 3p sellers certainly would make it seem that EOL is imminent.  

I think we play the game somewhat similar although, you buy way more than I do :)

Regardless, i'd say right now is the time to go ****** those sets that are at least in great shape on the shelf.  I see amazon even has some sets discounted that are almost near 30 to 40% off.  One thing I've learned over the years is that come november, most of the pristine boxes are gone by then.   And when I sell beat up boxes, people tend to complain, so I don't do that anymore.  

I definitely just scribbled out my top 10 list of Star Wars sets to buy right now...  Now it's time to make the rounds.

• Like 2