Retiring Soon - open speculation

Just now, mauro23 said:

No bug, simply the situation when no one is interested in buying a turd... ;-).

You may be right as there is 1 sale in Cz currency. Why buy on BL when it is cheaper on ebay, amazon or from SAH? I guess that´s the explanation.

7 hours ago, feed said:

When you get past 50%, they stop being sets and they start being boxes of parts.  £26 for that list of parts is value.

You are right, but are there so many usable "unique" parts that will bring you extra cash? I didn't see so much desirable parts in the BL part list.
What is the average BL value for the parts sold separately in this set?
I saw a few Piggy Pirate Ships at the sales table for -50% (34.99€) at my local Lego store, but didn't touch them like they're radioactive. ;)
Still don't want to buy a turd set like this...
Thanks!

Guest TabbyBoy

Having seen THE actual Caterham Seven 620R that was used for the final design, I think this could be a winner. They may not be that well known outside of the UK so a limited marketplace. However, the UK has millions of car fans and this beauty could get them also addicted to LEGO. I onlt have the one which I plan to build and then display in my new office.

1 hour ago, John82 said:

Argos have the U Wing and AT-ST in their clearance section. There has been a few signs that the AT-ST may go before the next wave, however I'll be surprised to see the U Wing retire so soon while the Tie Striker keeps going?

Tie Striker is definitely done by the usual Black Friday 2xVIP sale/blowout.  That set is already fairly scarce in my neck of the woods and has hit the walmart clearance to where it's now absent from most of the shelves.

I see the following gone in the Star Wars theme by the black friday event (usually the death knell period for retirees) - Imperial Battle Pack, Kylo Ren's Imperial Shuttle, Rey's Speeder, Tie Striker, First Order Battle Pack, Resistance Trooper Battle Pack, Carbon Freezing Chamber, Battle on Takodana, Encounter on Jakuu, Clone Turbo Tank, Tie Striker, A-wing, Desert Skiff, Landspeeder, Yoda's Starfighter.. 

These sets I think are "iffy" (could go either way) - Imperial Assault Hovertank, AT-ST, Rebel U-wing, Resistance X-wing

Sets that I think might stick around - Krennic's Imperial Shuttle, Millennium Falcon, Poe's X-wing Starfighter, FO Tie Fighter (these sets never seem to be on clearance, and are in the upcoming movie so demand on these could stick around).

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

MF 75105 is the best selling Lego set. It´s madness to pull it with no substitute when TLJ comes out - I know the did that with 7965, but there was no movie that year.

Maybe they don't want it to compete with the $800 model.

1 minute ago, dcdfan said:

Maybe they don't want it to compete with the $800 model.

That´s like Ford retiring the Mustang so as not to compete with the GT40. Different price points, different customers. I am sure they want 3 flavours of Falcon, one for every size Xmas stocking (and wallet).

• Like 2

50% off EU sale doing damage and only the real turds (Axl´s Tower Carrier, Angry Birds Heist, Lego Batman Movie minifigs and Aaron´s Striker) are still standing.

A word of warning for Angry Birds investors - people are receiving Q2 2016 seal codes from SAH, which means they still have original run stock!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

A word of warning for Angry Birds investors - people are receiving Q2 2016 seal codes from SAH, which means they still have original run stock!

Very funny.  

Anyone who is an Angry Birds investor, please stand up!  The first rule of not being laughed at.  Don't stand up.

I know some people have to be buying these sets, and I know some people will make some money of them.  More power to you.  I will admit to having a Piggy Pirate Ship and an Plane since I am still a sucker for Walmart clearance.

Love the updates.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2017 at 4:39 AM, Val-E said:

MF 75105 is the best selling Lego set. It´s madness to pull it with no substitute when TLJ comes out - I know the did that with 7965, but there was no movie that year.

I still think it'll get pulled to make way for a Han Solo movie variant Xmas 2018. Remember they've got 2 high end TLJ sets coming out in form of FO At-at and FO ISD on force Friday. 

The Argos UK price was decent enough to make them a safe investment. Just remember if everyone tries parting them out, the market for Bird minifigs is going to be flooded for decades.

3 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I still think it'll get pulled to make way for a Han Solo movie variant Xmas 2018. Remember they've got 2 high end TLJ sets coming out in form of FO At-at and FO ISD on force Friday. 

Nothing to stop them pullling a city fire station and launching the remake the day after the old one retires.

If you were Lego CEO in the current market climate with pressure to continue on from past glory, would you really pull your best selling set at Xmas during the hype for a proper SW movie and not some crummy spin-off?

Edited by Val-E

Flipside. As CEO use TLJ to clear existing stocks by xmas then get everyone who bought 75105 to dig in their pockets again for the new one next year.  Meanwhile everyone with cash grabs new flagship sets it's not like we haven't seen how high demand is for AT-AT's and ISD's is it? 

It might be a side story but it's all about Han Solo so one has to imagine that the MF will feature heavily and have a different configuration & crew to OT and New Trilogy version.

Just now, Fenix_2k1 said:

Flipside. As CEO use TLJ to clear existing stocks by xmas then get everyone who bought 75105 to dig in their pockets again for the new one next year.  Meanwhile everyone with cash grabs new flagship sets it's not like we haven't seen how high demand is for AT-AT's and ISD's is it? 

It might be a side story but it's all about Han Solo so one has to imagine that the MF will feature heavily and have a different configuration & crew to OT and New Trilogy version.

What if they were to delay the release of the UCS one to 2018 (like Snowspeeder) and cover all bases? Spin off is likely to more adult oriented anyway.