Retiring Soon - open speculation

I don't know, The Ghost is starting to become a real fan favorite and if they can make an AT-TE which was only in 1 or 2 episodes, I don't see why they wouldn't release another Ghost. They even release obscure sets like Anakin's Custom Jedi Starfighter which afaik was only featured in a cartoon from 13 years ago.

i would agree that any large rebels set post series has a high probability of being a ghost remake. its basically the mf of rebels.
  • Like 1

With only 1 more season left of Rebels, I'm not sure if Lego will make another "for play"  Ghost. By the time it arrives, the show will be done.

now if Lego thinks the Ghost is a fan favorite, I can totally see a UCS version (which I wonder if it's the set Rob Johnson is pushing for).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jaisonline said:

now if Lego thinks the Ghost is a fan favorite, I can totally see a UCS version (which I wonder if it's the set Rob Johnson is pushing for).

I can only hope... That would be 1000x better than a re-release of any previous UCS.

• Like 1

f280cdecff45cea04ea142bdb61d19a6.jpg
d4cb31dc46b7182537589daa9a935077.jpg
Saw these sets tagged yesterday when picking up a Saturn. The grain of salt would be that this is the same store that had a 'Retiring Soon' tag on Ewok Village at least 9 months before it actually happened, and well before it had the tag online, so this could be in the everything-but-the-Death-Star-retires-eventually category.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

The airplane sets are incredibly poor sellers over here. I actually think the air show is a great set, but I wouldn't be surprised if they retire it. Stores have stock for another two years at least over here it seems.

They´ll likely go in Nov or Dec, so that wil be a fairly typical 1.5 year life for summer wave CITY sets.  Air show was available for as low as 20 euros here and Passenger Jet could be had for around 30 so I think they will struggle to reach RRP anytime soon after retiring. We also have to beware of another plane coming out in 2018 or 2019.

Just now, Val-E said:

They´ll likely go in Nov or Dec, so that wil be a fairly typical 1.5 year life for summer wave CITY sets.  Air show was available for as low as 20 euros here and Passenger Jet could be had for around 30 so I think they will struggle to reach RRP anytime soon after retiring. We also have to beware of another plane coming out in 2018 or 2019.

I'm sure we'll get some sort of new plane soon enough. We're already getting the coast guard plane. But a legit airport set is less certain imo, especially since these were such poor sellers. The last airport sets were from 2010, so that's at least 5 years.

Not saying that means they can't release another airplane sooner, but I think there's a few other things on their checklist still. Construction needs a rehash. And maybe they'll finally do a farm again :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

I'm sure we'll get some sort of new plane soon enough. We're already getting the coast guard plane. But a legit airport set is less certain imo, especially since these were such poor sellers. The last airport sets were from 2010, so that's at least 5 years.

Not saying that means they can't release another airplane sooner, but I think there's a few other things on their checklist still. Construction needs a rehash. And maybe they'll finally do a farm again :rolleyes:

60022 was an airport set from 2013-15 containing a similar plane mould and got to 170 euros before Passenger Jet came out.

41009 Friends plane uses the same mould, was a TRU exclusive and had an 11 month life yet is still not reaching RRP.

11 hours ago, Val-E said:

60022 was an airport set from 2013-15 containing a similar plane mould and got to 170 euros before Passenger Jet came out.

41009 Friends plane uses the same mould, was a TRU exclusive and had an 11 month life yet is still not reaching RRP.

You're right, I forgot about Cargo. It's the exact same concept as the other airplane sets, though cargo was sort of a subtheme of it's own. I think that is much more likely: we'll get some sort of themed airplane like 4209 or 7723.

About Friends: the fact that a bright purple plane isn't doing well doesn't really surprise me tbh.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Cargo Terminal 60022 is doing okay in the US on eBay.  It flirted with 2xRRP but likely won't ever pass it, since City sets are forgettable and eventually repeated.  But with the right buy-in and a 1-2 year hold, this can bring an R.O.I.

7 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

Cargo Terminal 60022 is doing okay in the US on eBay.  It flirted with 2xRRP but likely won't ever pass it, since City sets are forgettable and eventually repeated.  But with the right buy-in and a 1-2 year hold, this can bring an R.O.I.

Yeah, 60022 is now quite rare but actual sales are pegged back by Passenger Jet. At 50% off or better, they can be smart buys but don´t hold too long or expect too much.

8 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

City sets are one of my best sellers - always 2x or 3x of my initial buy-in

• Like 1

Hi, signed up while back and been collector 18 months or so, first time writing here - hello!. Realizing how complex and random collecting of some Lego themes can be, bit like betting on horses.

Naively picked up lots of City at beginning of collecting last year (along with many SW sets), mainly as loved City as a kid but now seeing the constant realize rehashes dilute the theme (Coast Guard, Police). Whist this thread is on airport topic It's a shame the City Airport doesnt expand and use actual Airbus/Boeing etc. I know we have 787 a few years back but a more realistic airport theme I feel would be more exciting to collect, same as trains and ships, needs stronger transportation sub themes.

Ive also collected other ranges, Creator, Technics, Jurassic, Scooby and found these to be very popular selling after set have retired. Also the Christmas/seasons sets seems to be good investments.

i know I joined the party late and missed the glory days but I love Lego and love the buzz of collecting and selling. 

Just picked up some reduced RRP Palace Cinemas and Slave1s as hoping they retire EOY. Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Castle375 said:

Hi, signed up while back and been collector 18 months or so, first time writing here - hello!. Realizing how complex and random collecting of some Lego themes can be, bit like betting on horses.

Naively picked up lots of City at beginning of collecting last year (along with many SW sets), mainly as loved City as a kid but now seeing the constant realize rehashes dilute the theme (Coast Guard, Police). Whist this thread is on airport topic It's a shame the City Airport doesnt expand and use actual Airbus/Boeing etc. I know we have 787 a few years back but a more realistic airport theme I feel would be more exciting to collect, same as trains and ships, needs stronger transportation sub themes.

Ive also collected other ranges, Creator, Technics, Jurassic, Scooby and found these to be very popular selling after set have retired. Also the Christmas/seasons sets seems to be good investments.

i know I joined the party late and missed the glory days but I love Lego and love the buzz of collecting and selling. 

Just picked up some reduced RRP Palace Cinemas and Slave1s as hoping they retire EOY. Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome.

Well, you have to keep in mind that licensed sets are generally going to be more expensive. So I think an Airbus / Boeing set would be nice, but I think it would be even more expensive than the current airport sets and they would never release it under the City theme.

About picking up sets at RRP: don't, unless there's no other way and you are 100% sure it's going to go up. Palace Cinema and Slave I are not going anywhere anytime soon. You'll likely see a "retiring soon" tag way before they are going to retire those. See Pet Shop and Sandcrawler for reference.

7 hours ago, Castle375 said:

Cheers

Top tip at the moment is to not put too much of your cash into big box items. They will climb but as everyone's quick win buy in the last few years it's very slow growth.

I'd say the main thing is to actually go with your gut. If you genuinely like a set then invest in it. Most themes will have some winners and some losers so it's working out which ones will stand out.

Buy in price is key. The lower you buy sets the less you risk. Even my dud sets still don't lose money.

For example out of the City Airport theme I think the Air Show will do well. Even when there's a new airport theme I doubt they'll have the same combo of planes and hangars and it makes a good expansion to an existing airport. But, make sure you buy at the right price as at retirement some people seem to be happy making £10 a set on the flip.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 11:22 AM, Shneebs said:

Ferris Wheel is now on Backorder with limit of 1 on Lego SAH (Canada & USA), also out of stock @ Amazon.ca... False scarcity to go along with Carousel release, or is it on the way out? Thoughts?....

We have seen this before with other big sets like the modulars where the limit has been reduced during the summer months. I suspect this is when Lego is either

• shutting down some production lines for maintenance
  • reduction in staff due to summer holidays
  • pumping out inventory to fill those huge orders retailers have placed for the Christmas rush

I think the Ferris wheel have one more year as they just retired Fairground Mixer earlier this year. But if people are buying the Carousel, people maybe picking up the Ferris Wheel, which means more sales and extended life.

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Poppy2612 said:

Any thoughts on what a good buy in for the hangar is? Seller on local app has for €40 - worth a punt?

20 euros is my PB, unless you count fat-fingered village idiot ebay sellers who list at a low price then cancel orders!

1 hour ago, tacsniper said:
  • shutting down some production lines for maintenance
  • reduction in staff due to summer holidays
  • pumping out inventory to fill those huge orders retailers have placed for the Christmas rush

I

None of those happen in the toy industry in the summer, the toy industry fulfill the December estimated orders in Late October.... and shut down most of December for maintenance. And there is no staff reduction in summer due to the holidays, they only let people go on vacations on the shut down months....

This set not being available has more to do with sudden interest from us on it, now that the carrousel has come out....   

My 2 cents...