Retiring Soon - open speculation

Speaking strictly as a Star Wars nut, I think the Rogue One sets are 1000 times more interesting than any of the Last Jedi sets.  If I can get any of them at half off, I won't hesitate.  I personally think Krennics Shuttle will do very well past retirement.  The U-wing is a bigger unknown, as I personally find the design lacking in some areas, but it might do well 3 years from now, especially if they don't make any more of those. 

AT-ST will see variants, but I do think the Baze figure will be worth some moola down the line.  Same goes with the Chirrut mini, so I think both of those sets are worth having some stock for the long hold.  The only set i'm not that big on is the Tie Striker, but that's a personal choice more than one based on "what it could do"..

20 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Speaking strictly as a Star Wars nut, I think the Rogue One sets are 1000 times more interesting than any of the Last Jedi sets.  If I can get any of them at half off, I won't hesitate.  I personally think Krennics Shuttle will do very well past retirement.  The U-wing is a bigger unknown, as I personally find the design lacking in some areas, but it might do well 3 years from now, especially if they don't make any more of those. 

AT-ST will see variants, but I do think the Baze figure will be worth some moola down the line.  Same goes with the Chirrut mini, so I think both of those sets are worth having some stock for the long hold.  The only set i'm not that big on is the Tie Striker, but that's a personal choice more than one based on "what it could do"..

I agree with this as well. They have the potential to surprise a bit after they are gone. Like the ships over the playset like Battle of Scarif though. 

I think I posted this elsewhere, but the U-wing looks so much cooler when the wings are in flying formation, I wish they were that way on the front of the box. 

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I really like the Striker a lot more after building it that I did when I first looked at it. I think that the wings up displayed on the front of the box is the worst version. It looks a lot better wings down. Although, it really made me miss a real TIE Interceptor.

23 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I really like the Striker a lot more after building it that I did when I first looked at it. I think that the wings up displayed on the front of the box is the worst version. It looks a lot better wings down. Although, it really made me miss a real TIE Interceptor.

Even though it's "a new era interceptor", I do like Kylo's interceptor as the best of the sets coming on FF2, but i'm not sure i'm buying it out of the gate.   Really, the only two sets from FF2 that I like are Kylo's Interceptor, and the Resistance Bomber (only because it's a fresh new design).  The others i'll wait until they are half off on clearance next april or so.  Something tells me these last jedi sets will linger like the Force Awakens sets.  I like to buy at least one of the new sets before the movie comes out, so I think it will be the bomber, but i'm not impressed with the others.  

Regardless, the Tie Striker is the only Rogue One set we haven't purchased, but i'm sure it is pretty fun to build, and cool to hold, but there's only so many ships I want to store.  After a while, as the SW collection gets out of hand, your house starts to resemble a plastic lego star wars death star...so at this point, I got to be more choosey...  I also haven't opened the hovertank, but have a copy.  We ended up buying the minis when I scarfed them on an auction deal, though.   These Last Jedi sets are a real conundrum though.  I think the Gorilla AT-AT is cool... but it's not the OT AT-AT and so it just seems like a homage knockoff.  And the OT ISD is a lot nicer than the new Finalizer version.. . The CONFLICT!  THE CONFLICT!

42 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Even though it's "a new era interceptor", I do like Kylo's interceptor as the best of the sets coming on FF2, but i'm not sure i'm buying it out of the gate.   Really, the only two sets from FF2 that I like are Kylo's Interceptor, and the Resistance Bomber (only because it's a fresh new design).  The others i'll wait until they are half off on clearance next april or so.  Something tells me these last jedi sets will linger like the Force Awakens sets.  I like to buy at least one of the new sets before the movie comes out, so I think it will be the bomber, but i'm not impressed with the others.  

Regardless, the Tie Striker is the only Rogue One set we haven't purchased, but i'm sure it is pretty fun to build, and cool to hold, but there's only so many ships I want to store.  After a while, as the SW collection gets out of hand, your house starts to resemble a plastic lego star wars death star...so at this point, I got to be more choosey...  I also haven't opened the hovertank, but have a copy.  We ended up buying the minis when I scarfed them on an auction deal, though.   These Last Jedi sets are a real conundrum though.  I think the Gorilla AT-AT is cool... but it's not the OT AT-AT and so it just seems like a homage knockoff.  And the OT ISD is a lot nicer than the new Finalizer version.. . The CONFLICT!  THE CONFLICT!

For me, the only must buy is BB-8 and after that, I am leaning towards the Kylo TIE. but I can wait on it since it is kind of ugly. Nothing looks really sleek in these new sets, sort of bulbous and awkward. They're just not good looking enough to pay MSRP. Although, as I say that, I know I'll cave on Thursday night and get something just to get an extra Scarif trooper

• Like 1

I bought and sold my TIE Striker, but I did keep the Shore Trooper for my personal collection.  I just got into buying/building LEGO back this past December and it started with the Imperial Shuttle Tydirium.  I have also preferred the Empire/Dark side, especially the ISD's and AT-AT/AT-ST walkers.  I am primarily in the game as a builder/collector, with the occasional re-flipping of used sets/parts that I don't want for myself (you know, buy in bulk locally and resell the unwanted parts to keep the hobby going).  My wife doesn't mind too much, but limits my built pieces to one small corner of one room in the house hah!

I am definitely in for the new AT-ST, ISD and BB-8 for this Sep release.  The March release was kind of OK to me, granted I did pick up Battle of Naboo (not built), Yoda's Star fighter (built,  going to storage), Scarif (my favorite of this year), Y-Wing (built, going into storage).  I do not have any of the sets from the June release, but Vader's transformation is one I might pick up as the rest are kind of meh to me.  I do not care for the contractables at all.  

My collection consists of Star Wars (no UCS sets as of yet, but would like the R2, Death Star 2, Tantative and the ISD and SSD though), Monster Fighters (have castle, but want to add Mad Scientist, Zombies and Haunted House), Batman Movie (have all so far except the Asylum) and just started getting into Pirates of the Caribbean (have the Silent Mary and about 90% of the Black Pearl.  I only plan on adding the QAR with the Mill, London Escape and Whitecap probably).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrickSamurai said:

Not sure about the TIE Fighter 75095 or the Assault on Hoth 75098 but the Slave I 75060 is most likely due to retire this year and probably the TIE 75095 will as well but who really knows what TLG will do. This is really all based on past retired sets.

Here in Europe a source claimed that Slave-1 is getting retired this year. Make of it as you will.

1 hour ago, Haay said:

Here in Europe a source claimed that Slave-1 is getting retired this year. Make of it as you will.

Based on the retirement process TLG has been following the last couple of years. The losers, AOH and TIE, will be cut. Unless Disney is pushing an alternative agenda to sell the new sets, purging all the old non movie sets, which is not unlikely.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Haay said:

Well, it's about time as it's been out long enough. After Red5, don't wait too long to sell ;-)

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Care to name the source?

The source (someone from a different forum) claimed the Slave-1 will get the Retiring Soon tag this Autumn. Like last year, LEGO Shop at Home Europe will add those tags early in advance on the sets going to be retired, giving the USA ample warning.