Retiring Soon - open speculation

37 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

You only have to look at eBay sales to know that Ecto-1 is a rampant seller so Lego have clearly produced this on a grand scale.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this released under the ghostbusters theme next year. I can't see Lego letting go of this cash cow for too long.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:14 AM, Haay said:

That's Dutch Lego tax for you... :P 

German original price: €69,99 ... Discounted price: €48,99

Dutch original price: €79,99 ... Discounted price: €55,99

Ah.... c'est la vie of living in The Netherlands.

And then there's this:

WO-AI016_DUTCHO_G_20111204182707.jpg

I am however pleased to offer my Dutch buyers retired MISB lego sets on credit.  Interest rates are competitive, but payment is accepted in dollars only.  I don't want to be left holding the bag when the euro is "retired" in the near future.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GhostDad said:

And then there's this:

I am however pleased to offer my Dutch buyers retired MISB lego sets on credit.  Interest rates are competitive, but payment is accepted in dollars only.  I don't want to be left holding the bag when the euro is "retired" in the near future.

There's a really good explanation for that. :)  In The Netherlands, unlike in most other countries, we can subtract the interest paid on our mortgage from our income tax. Which in turn causes the housing prices to be exorbitant, compared to our neighbours. The debt shown above is mainly caused by mortgage loans covered by the housing property itself. It's not consumer debt where people buy stuff they can't afford based on installments. So it looks worse than it actually is. :P 

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Haay said:

There's a really good explanation for that. :)  In The Netherlands, unlike in most other countries, we can subtract the interest paid on our mortgage from our income tax. Which in turn causes the housing prices to be exorbitant, compared to our neighbours. The debt shown above is mainly caused by mortgage loans covered by the housing property itself. It's not consumer debt where people buy stuff they can't afford based on installments. So it looks worse than it actually is. :P 

I don't believe any of it either, there's no way that the average person in the EU is nearly in negative equity. I know people all over the EU and every single one of them has a net worth well in excess of £200K/€250K. Greece may be the only exception.

10 hours ago, GhostDad said:

And then there's this:

I know it looks bad. But also look at the holdings the Dutch have.

Pension_funds_assets_as_percentage_of_GDP_2011.png

Door MartinD - Eigen werk, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=21533004

Edited by Ciglione

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I don't believe any of it either, there's no way that the average person in the EU is nearly in negative equity. I know people all over the EU and every single one of them has a net worth well in excess of £200K/€250K. Greece may be the only exception.

You just know the wrong generation of people so. Huge amount of my age group in Ireland were left with massive amounts of negative equity when the crash came.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

You just know the wrong generation of people so. Huge amount of my age group in Ireland were left with massive amounts of negative equity when the crash came.

No offence intended but, I only know 2 Irish people who are actually very well off as they timed the Irish housing market perfectly. What agre group are you, may I ask? I'm 51.

52 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

No offence intended but, I only know 2 Irish people who are actually very well off as they timed the Irish housing market perfectly. What agre group are you, may I ask? I'm 51.

They are either lieing, or lucky enough to be in what was estimated to be well under 1% of Irish home owners not affected or avoided their awful crash, brought on by excesses of the EU boom years and cheap borrowed money.

Guest TabbyBoy
32 minutes ago, red panda said:

They are either lieing, or lucky enough to be in what was estimated to be well under 1% of Irish home owners not affected or avoided their awful crash, brought on by excesses of the EU boom years and cheap borrowed money.

They sold a house each (let out) just before the crash and bought again at the bottom. They just seem to have the foresight that few of us have. Oh... One of them has never had a job, doesn't need to work! On the other hand, I know of somebody who nearly lost it all when the Icelandic banks crashed.

Sorry - Back on topic... My I have a stab at some surprise, non-tagged retirements?

21019 - Eiffel Tower (Because The Entertainer states that it's discontinued)

75111 - Darth Vader (Been out a long time, little stock on shelves and no recent seal codes yet)

75112 - General Grievous (Sorry if I missed the post - not listed on UK site but retired in US)

71006 - Simpsons House (Seems like a poor seller hanging on by it's testicles in the UK so could disappear here first?)

10232 - Palace Cinema (Oldest corner set and not many on the shelves as this time last year)

10248 - Ferrari F40 (Seems to linger on John Lewis shelves with old seal codes, poor seller?)

CITY Volcano Theme - Not as popular as hoped so could be canned early?

Various sets who's RRP have not increased telling me that producion has ceased?

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Sorry - Back on topic... My I have a stab at some surprise, non-tagged retirements?

10232 - Palace Cinema (Oldest corner set and not many on the shelves as this time last year)

10248 - Ferrari F40 (Seems to linger on John Lewis shelves with old seal codes, poor seller?)

Come on, seriously? Palace Cinema won't get a quiet sneaky retirement just after Pet Shop was finally retired. 

And the Ferrari F40 will certainly not retire before both the VW T1 Van and the Mini Cooper!

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Haay said:

Come on, seriously? Palace Cinema won't get a quiet sneaky retirement just after Pet Shop was finally retired. 

And the Ferrari F40 will certainly not retire before both the VW T1 Van and the Mini Cooper!

Did I state WHEN the Palace Cinema will retire? My thoughts are that it will be this year at a time that we don't expect. Were you prepared for when the Town Hall retired? I wasn't as I on holiday and all were gone when I returned ;-(

According to friends at John Lewis, the T1 & Mini far outsell the F40. I have dozens of each so I won't be caught out. However, I do have a feeling that the F40 will be a poor performer and I feel a small loss coming on.

Guest TabbyBoy
59 minutes ago, grabbitfast said:

Checking around local lego selling stores today for soon to be discontinued sets there are definitely more retirements on the way.

Which ones do you think?