Retiring Soon - open speculation

On 1/7/2017 at 3:16 PM, Kenxxx said:

I'm pretty sure they are "toast".  Tho I see Rainforest is still available on sale at LEGO Shop at Home.  I don't think this set was very popular... but looking at it now... the colors, the variety of builds... maybe a sleeper?  ... but maybe not. I suppose if I found a pile at a local store for 50% off, I'd probably buy, but I'm not enticed at $11.99.  Red Creatures on the other hand I'd grab at full retail anywhere I could find them (which is nowhere right now). This has always been a top seller on Amazon. I sold all mine in a day at $30... it will probably go to $40 soon. I think it's the kind of set that aunts and uncles say, "What does my sister's son want for his birthday?... I'd like to spend $20, but this Lego set is only $30... it's got a cool red dragon... I think he'll like that..."

Rainforest Animals is now "out of stock" at LEGO shop at home (US). Of course this doesn't mean that its retired or that it new stock won't appear Monday morning. Glad that I ordered one for myself this weekend :)

Thanks Kenxxx for the info earlier

Edited by ponderingzissou

7 minutes ago, AZNSalinas96 said:

I ordered a hulkbuster and the box had a significant tear across the front called and complained and I got $4 off emoji57.png

TRU just sucks, but we all know if the deal is right, we are all suckers and press the order button, even that we are aware:

- the shipping can be bad

- they cancel transactions and you have to chase after your money

- they forget promos

etc. Just part of the game. :P

3 hours ago, Sozial said:

TRU just sucks, but we all know if the deal is right, we are all suckers and press the order button, even that we are aware:

- the shipping can be bad

- they cancel transactions and you have to chase after your money

- they forget promos

etc. Just part of the game. :P

Due to these known issues I've never ordered from them and never will, no matter how good one of their deals is.

• Like 1

Amazon UK had new stock of the 75101 Tie today, all gone within hours leaving just the third-party sellers.

Very have also sold out today and has now been removed from the search (page still exists if you have the URL).

Along with Tesco removing the Stock Alert, i still think this set maybe done. Only time will tell.

7 minutes ago, brickbuilder77 said:

I think its a ploy by Lego, mark as sold out, everyone thinks its going and buys all the stock from lego stockists leaving only lego to sell it at full RRP for the next 12 months but thats probably me just being cynical and way off 1f600.png

They should do that with Doctor Who, Ecto 1 and Sandcrawler and save people a lot of bother.

Isn't this just pathetic ?  Retiring Soon in Lego LEGO Shop at Home Netherlands, showing European availability, sorted by Price (High to Low):

Retiring Soon.png

Sandcrawler, Doctor Who, Ghostbusters Ecto-1... Demand for / interest in these sets is really underwhelming, apparently. Either that, or they're greatly overproduced.

And 76046, 76048 and 70590 are not even getting sold out at a discount! Can I say ... Complete and utter turds ? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Haay said:

Isn't this just pathetic ?  Retiring Soon in Lego LEGO Shop at Home Netherlands, showing European availability, sorted by Price (High to Low):

Sandcrawler, Doctor Who, Ghostbusters Ecto-1... Demand for / interest in these sets is really underwhelming, apparently. Either that, or they're greatly overproduced.

And 76046, 76048 and 70590 are not even getting sold out at a discount! Can I say ... Complete and utter turds ? ;) 

And where is 40158 (Pirate Chess...) ?

6 minutes ago, Haay said:

Not much of a discount though, take 76046 for example, Brickset has the RRP as £54.99 / $59.99 / 48.99€  

5 minutes ago, feed said:

Not much of a discount though, take 76046 for example, Brickset has the RRP as £54.99 / $59.99 / 48.99€  

That's Dutch Lego tax for you... :P 

German original price: €69,99 ... Discounted price: €48,99

Dutch original price: €79,99 ... Discounted price: €55,99

Ah.... c'est la vie of living in The Netherlands.

And where is 40158 (Pirate Chess...) ?

Pirate Chess is not a Retiring Soon set. It's merely just discounted. ;) 

Edited by Haay

3 hours ago, Haay said:

Personally I think what we are experiencing here is a paradigm shift from Lego designed to maximize profits by capitalizing on the buying habits of investors, retailers and 3rd party sellers. You only have to look at eBay sales to know that Ecto-1 is a rampant seller so Lego have clearly produced this on a grand scale. On one hand it's marketing genius, they must be cleaning up with the Retiring Soon tag. The problem however is by shafting the 3rd party seller looking to cash in on retirements now they're technically setting themselves up to get their fingers burnt next time round. Now the guess work's taken out of the retirement game very few will be taking gambles over the coming year and unless they change their strategy again to capitalize on perceived future purchases I see Lego taking a massive hit from the reseller market in 2017. 

• Like 6