Retiring Soon - open speculation

I don't know if i'd call something that was released on May the 4th, 2014 as "brand new".  It would make sense this is the next UCS set retired, but I bet it sticks around for at least 2 more 2xvip events.

Would it though?

​Red 5 is pretty much retired.  It's been sitting at OOS will ship in 30 days for quite some time now, and occasionally it might flip to Out of Stock will ship 26 days from now, but then it's quickly back to the 30 day mark.  It's done.  I don't think this one is left in many lego stores, and only target online seems to have it, but at inflated prices.

Ewok Village seems to be doing the dance too.  It's now OOS on the site, and although, it's not sitting at OOS 30 days, its' doing the dance.  It's going, and probably will be gone by the 2xVIP event in October.  It's rumored that a new large scale "Winter Base" set is coming in October.  Some earlier lists from this year stated it was a "UCS Sized Hoth Rebel Base", but others think it's based on the winter planet in the new movie (which I think is more accurate).  That replaces EV.

That would leave the Sandcrawler next.  I would doubt the Slave 1 or Tie Fighter would go before it.  Since the Slave 1 was released on January 1st of this year, and the Tie was released on May the 4th..  I'm not too concerned about this, because i'm not one that stocks 50 of these.  But, I do already have one of these opened and one in the closest, and will probably get one more and call it a day. 

I do think this set has the potential to go 2x.  It's an awesome set, and one of my favorites, by far.  It truly is one of the best sets designed by lego.

Doing the dance doesn't mean it is retired.

Retired = retired.

So actually none of these is yet retired and (I my be wrong here) I doubt that LEGO is retiring 3 sets in the same year.

The Sandcrawler probably has time till end of next year, maybe even start 2017.

X-Wing I can see vanishing this year.

EV... Maybe this, maybe next year.

I don't feel sure about either set to be honest.

Personally my favorite is EV!

The Sandcrawler just doesn't speak to me... but a many people here think it's amazing... for once I'd be happy to see Emazers (and other veterans') opinion about EV and Sandcrawler.

EV really makes me tingly. Sandcrawler just makes me wonder... the last one performed well though.

To call Sandcrawler near EOL right now seems to be (pretty) baseless though.

I didn't say it was EOL, I said in my post that it probably will live through two more 2xVIP weeks.  Which would give it to march 2016 at best.  Doing the dance means it's going to be harder to obtain.  While there isn't a "retired label" on red 5, good luck trying to go out and find 20 Red 5's at 199.99 plus tax at the moment.  The same scarcity curve is going to be the case for EV very soon, then the SC.  Right now the SC is fairly easy to obtain.  Only TRU is out of stock with it.  But as time moves on (and it goes fast), the amount of sets available decreases vastly.   Point is if you want to stock up, and not be caught scrambling later in the game, now is the time..  Not later, when it's OOS on lego.com, and every other retailer.  So, it depends on your target.  My target is only 3 of these, so i'm not concerned about getting one last one.  People that want 50, would have started stocking this one about 6 months ago, IMO. . 

And I doubt very much we see the SC available into 2017.  That's very wishful thinking. Not with 2 new movies coming out.  It seems like they are releasing a new UCS set every 6 months.  So, by early 2017, there could very well be 3 new UCS sets released by then (jan 2016, may 4th 2016, jan 2017).  The Slave 1, as well as the SC could be gone by then. 

I think both EV and SC will do fine.  But, i'm not buying 50 of them, so my level of risk isn't like others.

Edited by fossilrock

I didn't say it was EOL, I said in my post that it probably will live through two more 2xVIP weeks.  Which would give it to march 2016 at best.  Doing the dance means it's going to be harder to obtain.  While there isn't a "retired label" on red 5, good luck trying to go out and find 20 Red 5's at 199.99 plus tax at the moment.  The same scarcity curve is going to be the case for EV very soon, then the SC.  Right now the SC is fairly easy to obtain.  Only TRU is out of stock with it.  But as time moves on (and it goes fast), the amount of sets available decreases vastly.   Point is if you want to stock up, and not be caught scrambling later in the game, now is the time..  Not later, when it's OOS on lego.com, and every other retailer.  So, it depends on your target.  My target is only 3 of these, so i'm not concerned about getting one last one.  People that want 50, would have started stocking this one about 6 months ago, IMO. . 

And I doubt very much we see the SC available into 2017.  That's very wishful thinking. Not with 2 new movies coming out.  It seems like they are releasing a new UCS set every 6 months.  So, by early 2017, there could very well be 3 new UCS sets released by then (jan 2016, may 4th 2016, jan 2017).  The Slave 1, as well as the SC could be gone by then. 

I think both EV and SC will do fine.  But, i'm not buying 50 of them, so my level of risk isn't like others.

​These days, anything is possible.  I think we're early on EV, though, at least until it goes limit 2 at LEGO Shop at Home.  I have only one, bought at 20% off, and will probably pass on the set at MSRP.  It's just a lousy deal, and I'm not convinced that AFOL's love ewoks.  They do love jawas, though, so SC is on my list.  If nothing else, I can motorize one of them with power functions and post youtube videos of my cats riding around on it.  Instant fame and riches...

• Like 5

​These days, anything is possible.  I think we're early on EV, though, at least until it goes limit 2 at LEGO Shop at Home.  I have only one, bought at 20% off, and will probably pass on the set at MSRP.  It's just a lousy deal, and I'm not convinced that AFOL's love ewoks.  They do love jawas, though, so SC is on my list.  If nothing else, I can motorize one of them with power functions and post youtube videos of my cats riding around on it.  Instant fame and riches...

​I definitely agree that it's better to hedge your bets that the Sandcrawler will beat the EV in investment potential.  But, I still like EV as an investment.  I'm an AFOL and the Ewoks never bothered me, in fact I liked them when I was a kid, and I like them now.  Hopefully Wicket is in the new one, as rumored.

A couple of sellers told me that Sandcrawler OS no more available for orders...do I've to get a couple?

I dont understand this hysteria about Sandcrawler. It was released on May 2014 - so just 1 year ago. Can somebody tell me just 1 UCS SW set, which retired earlier than 2 years after release date? I bet no one. Sandcrawler will live at least till the end of 2016. Look at Red5 - it has more than 2 years now and I bet we can see it for several months yet, same with ewok village.

I dont understand this hysteria about Sandcrawler. It was released on May 2014 - so just 1 year ago. Can somebody tell me just 1 UCS SW set, which retired earlier than 2 years after release date? I bet no one. Sandcrawler will live at least till the end of 2016. Look at Red5 - it has more than 2 years now and I bet we can see it for several months yet, same with ewok village.

I already stated my opinion about the SW UCS Sets and I agree with you.

Still it might be a good idea not to wait till the last second to get one if you don't already have.

(you can get a second one at the last second then ;-) )

Didn't the UCS B-wing retire after only a year on the shelves?

• Like 2

As a few people have mentioned, the UCS B-Wing. There are no certainties any more. There have been rumblings about the Sandcrawler for months now. Is it a poor seller? Maybe. Are the brown bricks too uncommon to make it financially feasible? Possibly. Are older STAR WARS sets being moved for the new movie? Could be. Is LEGO making another move with it? We will see. But where there is smoke there could be a fire and this set has given me a weird vibe for months now.

Yes, you are right, UCS B-wing is an exception. But it was really poor seller and not so popular spaceship. I think Sandcrawler is much better set. I would doubt about soon retirement if they put some discounts on this set (which can be a sign of bad seller or finishing item), but i dont remember any discounts.

As a few people have mentioned, the UCS B-Wing. There are no certainties any more. There have been rumblings about the Sandcrawler for months now. Is it a poor seller? Maybe. Are the brown bricks too uncommon to make it financially feasible? Possibly. Are older STAR WARS sets being moved for the new movie? Could be. Is LEGO making another move with it? We will see. But where there is smoke there could be a fire and this set has given me a weird vibe for months now.

Could they say the R5, with its much lower price per piece, prime price point, fast sales and new movie tie ins, is a much better options to keep around financially.  Certainly could.  no reason to believe they wont pull a TH vs PS here...

I have the same weird vibe. It was discounted in the Netherlands and Belgium at the start of the year. Stock has been depleted outside Lego due to this sale and no new stock has arrived. 

I have my doubts.  What will happen is there will be a massive run on the sandcrawler online and in stores.  It will trigger lego bean counters to say "wait a second, this set is very popular and has life, so let's order another run for the winter, and if that sells, we will order another one in spring."... 

So, i'm not counting my chickens.

IIRC, 10144 didn't last much more past a year...a that was a lot cheaper...