Retiring Soon - open speculation

If the License for the Lego Movie is Expiring, then the Sea Cow will be done to.

Lego own the License

Which is what I thought. Guess Lego thinks the movie hype is dying down and time to yank the products. Guess this maybe a good thing. Once the product disappears for a while, it will create a huge hype for the next movie.

Which is what I thought. Guess Lego thinks the movie hype is dying down and time to yank the products. Guess this maybe a good thing. Once the product disappears for a while, it will create a huge hype for the next movie.

It's ran the course and retailers no longer want to carry the LEGO Movie theme either.

The CMF's have been the best investment from this theme to date, but they are also the first to disappear.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

Lego have to yank lots of products, to make way for the Star Wars overkill.

• Like 2

So the Lego Movie is being retired except for Sea Cow?

It is possible the Sea Cow will stick around, like other (ToO, HH, Kingdoms Joust) exclusives after their lines were axed.  However its also possible it just has not sold out yet.

Maybe Sea Cow will have a role in the next movie, so there is no need to retire it,  and no need to make another "expensive" Lego Movie set.

let me preface this with I have no horse in this race but even if the Sea Cow was the star of the next Lego movie, I wouldn't count on them keeping it around based on their other decisions...

Maybe Sea Cow will have a role in the next movie, so there is no need to retire it,  and no need to make another "expensive" Lego Movie set.

Resellers have not been kind to this set and I'm thinking it's an extremely slow seller. I think Lego is still trying to turn a profit on this set and keeping it around for another year. 

Can't have the Sea Cow without Metal Beard...and can't have Metal Beard without Nick Offerman.  Keep an eye out to see if Nick Offerman is in The Lego Movie 2 (IMDB usually is a couple years in advance) and you might have a better clue as to the ships appearance in the second movie.

If Lego will let retailers discount Sea Cow like other movie sets, I am sure it will move a lot faster ;)

why would Lego care if they moved them from retailers warehouses? They care about their own warehouse...

Now, I could see retailers having "mistakes" to move product...

Edited by dcdfan

If Lego will let retailers discount Sea Cow like other movie sets, I am sure it will move a lot faster ;)

In the US they have been disappearing fairly quickly from TRU, and are are currently gone at amazon.  Walmart has them but they dont really discount much online.  Target has them but they always seem to hold on to exclusives longer than others, not really sure why.  So at least in the US it doesnt take much of a discount to move them.

• Like 1

I'm trying to get a read on why Target has increased their prices on TB, Red 5, and ToO on their US website. Do you think that Lego has communicated to them that they will not be getting any more inventory on these sets? I mean why increase prices when it's more profitable to turn more inventory over at a lower margin. Is this a clear indicator that these are going bye bye within the next few months?

I'm trying to get a read on why Target has increased their prices on TB, Red 5, and ToO on their US website. Do you think that Lego has communicated to them that they will not be getting any more inventory on these sets? I mean why increase prices when it's more profitable to turn more inventory over at a lower margin. Is this a clear indicator that these are going bye bye within the next few months?

No. They do this every time other retailers sell out. Many times the SKUs come back but sometimes they do not...

Edited by dcdfan

Target seems to have an algorithm that price matches Amazon on most sets.  This goes for price decreases as well as increases, so the sets OOS at Amazon are going for their 3rd party price on Target.  It's still a wonder why Target never price matched increases on Haunted House and Town Hall last fall.

• Like 1