Retiring Soon - open speculation

It was produced and distributed by Warner Brothers, but I'm betting LEGO retained the rights to the toy merchandising.  I highly doubt they are paying WB a fee for the license, but I don't know for sure.

Yeah, would second this. Since the content (Lego) is obviously owned by TLC, the deal probably consisted of something along the lines of Warner Brothers distributing the content in exchange for a cut of the sales (box office/dvd/etc.). It`s 100s of millions of $ worth of revenue, I would doubt that WB would get a portion of the toy sales as well, they probably get a bigger chunk of the film revenue instead. That said, obviously we`re not on the inside so who really knows for sure. Sound reasonable haha :derisive:

• Like 2

Yeah, would second this. Since the content (Lego) is obviously owned by TLC, the deal probably consisted of something along the lines of Warner Brothers distributing the content in exchange for a cut of the sales (box office/dvd/etc.). It`s 100s of millions of $ worth of revenue, I would doubt that WB would get a portion of the toy sales as well, they probably get a bigger chunk of the film revenue instead. That said, obviously we`re not on the inside so who really knows for sure. Sound reasonable haha :derisive:

to be fair, they do get a percentage of any set featuring a Warner owned Character like Batman.

to be fair, they do get a percentage of any set featuring a Warner owned Character like Batman.

I am sure Warner gets a cut of merchandise sales, given how closely tied they are with the project.  However I would also bet that LEGO calls all the shots in regards to the lego sets.

Just noticed some of the items in the EU sale had previously been retired.

The ones I can think of are 70805 trash chomper and 70806 castle cavalry.

This can be seen in the Brickset EU sales data where the sets have suddenly returned, Old stock found in the warehouse?

B WIng 75050 has no moved to sold out status in EU. Would this be the big surprise summer retirement, then!

Are all these recent retirement just affecting the EU region? Because all those sets that were sold out over the past few days are still available in North America.

In fact, I was comparing the availability of some Lego Movie sets from EU vs N.America region and it seems the US/CA have a much wider variety of sets to purchase from than the EU region. Any particular reason for that?

They are playing around with the web as a lot os sets had been retired last week and are now sold out status. Some others were check for availability and are now sold out - case of 75050.

Others lncluding hobbit and some chima are gone for good.

This is all due to the flash sale last week that didn´t happen in the US or Aus. Presumably these sets will also retire there when they sell out.

Are all these recent retirement just affecting the EU region? Because all those sets that were sold out over the past few days are still available in North America.

In fact, I was comparing the availability of some Lego Movie sets from EU vs N.America region and it seems the US/CA have a much wider variety of sets to purchase from than the EU region. Any particular reason for that?

The EU sale pushed a lot of stuff out of stock and to sold out, that are still available in the US.  I think it is safe to say that most of those will likely be gone in the US by the end of the year.  However licensing can also play an issues, as does popularity.  Licensing rights can be quite different in the US and EU, so sets like the Hobbit, Star Wars, and Super Heroes (including Lego movie Batman) may live on in the US after being axed elsewhere.  Also it is known that many sets, particularly Super Heroes, sell much better in the US, so that also could delay retirement.  

• Like 1

Grab all the Galaxy Squad and Chima you can find....

...just kidding.  This is a tough question to answer because it all depends on what you can find in your neck of the woods.  Do a search for "retired" or "sold out" products on LEGO Shop at Home and compare some of those to Brickset to see how recently they went to this status.  Then keep your eye out for some of those, especially at regional grocery chains such as Kmart, Meijer, Fred Meyers, etc.  Barnes and Noble is also a good place to look where retired sets can linger on the shelf for a little bit longer.  Check Toys R Us also.

I was just thinking of the upcoming Batmobiles (one in Jokerland slated for an August release, and one in the Batman V Superman line slated for a January release) and I can't see how it makes any sense to carry 3 Batmobile sets at a time. So, I am going to suggest that 76012 will be making an exit soon.

I am not sure how many collectors will be clamoring for this later on since it seemed like they only wanted it for the Flash minifigure, which has since become available in a more Flash oriented set.

I was just thinking of the upcoming Batmobiles (one in Jokerland slated for an August release, and one in the Batman V Superman line slated for a January release) and I can't see how it makes any sense to carry 3 Batmobile sets at a time. So, I am going to suggest that 76012 will be making an exit soon.

I am not sure how many collectors will be clamoring for this later on since it seemed like they only wanted it for the Flash minifigure, which has since become available in a more Flash oriented set.

Somehow Lego thinks it's ok to have enough Batmans available at any given time to have a convention...I don't think they care how many vehicles there are to get there...

Somehow Lego thinks it's ok to have enough Batmans available at any given time to have a convention...I don't think they care how many vehicles there are to get there...

It works in the comics world. The amount by of Batman, Batman related, and Batman guest starring books published by DC every month is amazing.
  • Like 1

Looks like bday cake gone...sold out LEGO Shop at Home

not like retired, it brand new and no reason to retire it that quickly.  likely just not order able while oos.  we have seen this on a number of smaller sets lately.  sold out does not always mean retired i guess.  not sure why they dont use temporarily unavailable, like some other things have....

It works in the comics world. The amount by of Batman, Batman related, and Batman guest starring books published by DC every month is amazing.

must work in the lego world too.  just not so great for the investor world, though returns are still decent for many sets, so....

Edited by jay4e
  • Like 1