Retiring Soon - open speculation

So I’ve been doing a little analysis on Marvel /DC, just for fun.  Results if anyone is interested, observations are my opinion, does not constitute financial advice and do your own research etc… All of the data is from brickset and is UK based RRP, so YMMV on retirement dates.  Prices/ Price Points are all GBP. 

So:
Lower price points (PP) sets are firmly established, small gifts, the £19.99 sets always abundant.  

The mid PP sets interest me the most, as it’s clear something in the marketing strategy changed 2013/2014 moving away from the £34.99/£39.99 sets, splitting them into more around the £44.99/£49.99 PP, with a more options in the £24.99/£29.99 area, probably the intent to stretch the £19.99 up a little. Given the dominance of the £19.99 the £24.99/£29.99 PP looks a little light, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some expansion in this category from below..  
£44.99/£49.99 is firmly in the Birthday / Christmas gift territory, so it’s no surprise there is an abundance here.  However, it looks somewhat overweight to me, with the total number of sets currently available at that price point, with 76013 being the most likely candidate for removal. Particularly if we see more DC sets at the £44.99 PP.

The £69.99 PP also looks interesting, as it appears to show a similar split to the £39.99 PP, but earlier in the cycle.  I.e. With the emergence of a new £59.99 and £89.99 PP.  Short run on 76021 and the creation of these new PPs may signal a short life for 76032, particularly given the movie tie-in.  

Higher end sets are probably too low volume to form any real conclusion.

SH.thumb.png.0e8605075421b0455144ce6b022

• Like 2

Has anyone noticed that Hulk Buster Smash has gone to sold out status in Europe?  Seems pretty early for it to go, but it always struck me as an odd set at that price point and one that could easily disappear early.  Will be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that Hulk Buster Smash has gone to sold out status in Europe?  Seems pretty early for it to go, but it always struck me as an odd set at that price point and one that could easily disappear early.  Will be interesting to watch.

I wrote an e-mail to LEGO Shop at Home EU CS and they told me that set is only temporary out of stock. The next batch is in production right now and the set will be in their product range for quite some time. At the moment they are just unable to predict an accurate date of availability.

Heads says it's the cornerstone of a Simpsons line, it's Death Star if you will and it's around for years, tails says it needs to go away to make shelf space for the Kwik-E-Mart.

Flip away.

According to Brickset it hasn't been restocked in the three months they've been recording, might indicate it's on the way out. Very steady regular sales too, pretty straight line graph.

can you show me how to use brickset.com to research and find that this set has not been restocked in 3 months?

http://brickset.com/sets/71006-1/The-Simpsons-Hous

Take a look at the right side. You will find it below "Availability at Lego.com". There's a little number, which stands for the actual number of units. Click on the number and a graph will open. But keep in mind, that you have to be a registered member and signed in to use this tool.

Edited by Foxhound

These were selling really fast here. I doubt they would even contemplate EOL after less than 6 months.

If the pet shop and PC both go this year what will replace them??

How many modulars does Lego need at any one time?  They already have PR, DO, Ferris Wheel and Fairground Mixer, right?  Please refute this argument as I'm new, but I wouldn't think they always need 6 large modulars.

My bad, you're right.  Anyways, I would think they could still retire PC and/or PS without necessarily having replacements hit shelves in 2015.

PS is currently "Temp. OOS" with no option to Add to Cart... so no backorders to fill... hope PS will be gone for good after being "Available" for 1.5 weeks

Now the question is, will PC go at the same time as PS. PC is now pretty much only available at LEGO Shop at Home. PC is doing the dance and limit has been drop to 2, which is showing the signs of retirement.

If Lego is depleting supplies for PS and PC, then it should be all dry up by fall of 2015. Then introduce a new set in Jan that should still leave 3 modulars on the shelve for 2016.

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 2

A lot of Vader box art sets are starting to go OOS on Amazon.  Snowspeeder, Grievous Wheel Bike, etc. The TRU sale next week is a good time to start stocking up.  This time last year you could easily find A-wing, Mandalorian Speeder, etc and now they are long gone.

• Like 1

A lot of Vader box art sets are starting to go OOS on Amazon.  Snowspeeder, Grievous Wheel Bike, etc. The TRU sale next week is a good time to start stocking up.  This time last year you could easily find A-wing, Mandalorian Speeder, etc and now they are long gone.

Not much left at my TRU.

Same here.  These are going fast.  Considering many of the 2013 yoda boxes hung around until early this year, I think SW mania is having an effect.

I think it is more the stores are not restocking, than interest in the current sets.  LEGO is going to clean house and replace almost all of the current regular STAR WARS sets (with the exception of Rebels/UCS).  Because of the new movie(s), the typical production runs for STAR WARS sets may not apply.  Some of the current STAR WARS sets might be gone after a year or so there might be some opportunities to make some quick money on flipping short run sets.  I can't see LEGO or retailers keeping old, unrelated sets on the shelves.  

• Like 2