Retiring Soon - open speculation

Personally, I think the release of a new movie changes the market a bit for these Star Wars UCS sets...especially if the movie is good.

IMO any UCS not directly related to the new movie is going to see a sharp decrease in interest as Star Wars fans focus on the first new (good) content in decades. Interest will certainly return to these older sets from the original movies but the question is, does Lego or its retailers want to have dead sets sitting for 4-8 months until the new movie hype dies down?

I could certainly see Lego retiring both EV and Sandcrawler (assuming neither is critical to the new movie) and refreshing the R5 box art and keeping it around for another year.

IMO any UCS not directly related to the new movie is going to see a sharp decrease in interest as Star Wars fans focus on the first new (good) content in decades.

I think the exact opposite will happen. The new movie will rekindle people's thoughts about the old movies right along with the excitement for the new movie. I think any Star Wars UCS sets see a big bump around November.

I think the exact opposite will happen. The new movie will rekindle people's thoughts about the old movies right along with the excitement for the new movie. I think any Star Wars UCS sets see a big bump around November.

You're not the only one. I think so too. And it appears a lot of others do too. Many of the SW sets saw a 10%-30% jump in price mid last year, probably for no other reason than the movie hype. So, I think we're already kind of seeing this happen. I suspect there will be a few more bumps, and then some corrections.

Edited by Brickson

The run on everything Star Wars before the movie makes sense, but after the movie comes out do you think there will be people spending their money on Sandcrawlers or other items more related to new movie? I mean the market will be flooded with tons of toys and collectibles (not just Lego) concerning Episode 7. I'd anticipate a dry spell for several months for sets from the old movies. 

I do, mainly because there will be a new generation of Star Wars fans who will catch up on the old movies. There will be 12 year old kids being swept up in this like 12 year old kids were in 1977.

I just don't see a lull in the Star Wars train for the next 3-4 years, unless this movie really sucks.

The run on everything Star Wars before the movie makes sense, but after the movie comes out do you think there will be people spending their money on Sandcrawlers or other items more related to new movie? I mean the market will be flooded with tons of toys and collectibles (not just Lego) concerning Episode 7. I'd anticipate a dry spell for several months for sets from the old movies. 

Depends... I still think older sets will have an increase.  Prequel sets, will probably be neglected if the new film is good, since it will be seen as the ugly duckling of the SW universe but, i'm sure some sales of At-Ats, cantinas, and other previous SW sets that are attractive to some will definitely have a boost.  That's why I'm not sure Lego will retire a lot of sets until at least spring 2016.  There will be hundreds of million  eyes on Star Wars in December than there are now, so that will have an effect..

very unsure what´s going to happen when the new film starts. But i´d say why would they retire a 2014 Set which costs most of those three and seems to go okay when comparing these sets stock levels at SOH Europe. Red Five is shipping soon and sold most of these sets but it´s also the "cheapest". My favorite would still be the Ewoks for some reasons. First i was a child when these cute furry fellas ran across the screen and i loved them. Okay thats just emotional. ;) But i guess there are some more people my age that are little fans of the Ewoks. Also i´d say this is the only set under these three what is very playable. So i guess quite a few sets will be played and some bricks / figs will be lost soon. Since they are very popular among people who know the beginning of all this i think the Ewoks might even appear again and catch some younger fans. My generation has also grown up with Ghostbusters. Thats why i like the Ecto-1 and got a few of them. I think it wont be seen a lot longer and it will do pretty well after EOL. Well at the end i dont know anything like most here... just speculating and doing my thoughts. But it wouldnt be fun without having to speculate wich sets will do well and when they retire. :)

Guest TabbyBoy

I recently offloaded my one and only 10179 last week for 5x what I paid for it. I was just too nervous of a replacement appearing in time for the new movie and didn't fancy a huge drop in value. I think it's "curtains" for prequel sets as I can't possibly think that new movie could be anywhere near as bad.

The people buying sets like the Sandcrawler are Classic Star Wars fans and the new movies won't change that.  The new movies will attract new fans and the market for the OT UCS sets will either remain the same or grow.

"People spending their money on Sandcrawlers or other items..." are not the people buying $500-1000 sets to begin with, they are looking for toys for their families.

The people buying sets like the Sandcrawler are Classic Star Wars fans and the new movies won't change that.  The new movies will attract new fans and the market for the OT UCS sets will either remain the same or grow.

"People spending their money on Sandcrawlers or other items..." are not the people buying $500-1000 sets to begin with, they are looking for toys for their families.

I mean, we'll see. I already have half my number of sandcrawlers and ~80% of my EV, so maybe I have a bias in seeing these sets head out the door sooner than later. But at the same time, I'm a long term investor so if they do end up sticking around for a couple more years it won't make a big difference to me.

I think it makes sense that the prequel sets will be the ones to get hurt, and everything else will do fine.  Every SW fan I know, including myself, does not actually consider the prequels to be SW movies.  Seriously.  We're always quoting lines from the OT, but the prequels might as well not exist.  They are pure garbage.  Goofy battle droids running around saying 'Roger, Roger'.  A talking salamander with a speech impediment.  Argh.

• Like 5

I recently offloaded my one and only 10179 last week for 5x what I paid for it. 

Yah you're not the only one. I'm loving this speculation. I have good odds on holding my 10179 on the off chance they don't remake it. If they don't remake it, the very few that are going to still be out there are going to the moon :)

I think it makes sense that the prequel sets will be the ones to get hurt, and everything else will do fine.  Every SW fan I know, including myself, does not actually consider the prequels to be SW movies.  Seriously.  We're always quoting lines from the OT, but the prequels might as well not exist.  They are pure garbage.  Goofy battle droids running around saying 'Roger, Roger'.  A talking salamander with a speech impediment.  Argh.

I'm a pretty serious fan...I consider them to be SW movies.  just BAD SW movies :)  However, when they came out, they had almost no affect (that I could tell at least) on the old Star Wars toys that I collected, bought and sold.  Except that was about the time everyone and their Grandmother started thinking any 1980's Star Wars toy was worth 100's of dollars.  Made it hard to con the neighbor into selling me their stash for $5 so I could give it to my imaginary kids.

I personally like the last half of Attack of the Clones, and can tolerate most of Revenge of the Sith.  I actually enjoyed seeing Yoda fight Christoper Lee, and almost the entire battle of Geonosis. 

The prequels aren't horrendous, but they are not "legendary".  The CGI in the Geonosis sequence was very well done.  Right now it's just "in vogue" to rip and rant about CGI, but I think they pulled off something great in that sequence.  I still think that's one of the best battle action sequence ever done. 

• Like 2

I personally like the last half of Attack of the Clones, and can tolerate most of Revenge of the Sith.  I actually enjoyed seeing Yoda fight Christoper Lee, and almost the entire battle of Geonosis. 

The prequels aren't horrendous, but they are not "legendary".  The CGI in the Geonosis sequence was very well done.  Right now it's just "in vogue" to rip and rant about CGI, but I think they pulled off something great in that sequence.  I still think that's one of the best battle action sequence ever done.

I have no problem with CGI. It can be awesome.  I just want a minimum of goofball characters.

Once you get past the lines and the kiss as they enter the arena, it gets pretty good. I hate the dialogue in Kamino and Naboo.  Well, the dialogue on Tatooine is pretty terrible too.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

I lied to myself for years about the prequels. I had an intervention, sought therapy, and finally accepted reality. They are abysmal.

I haven't watched them since they first came out and I'm afraid to watch them now. I recall them being not great but not terrible. I want to hold on to that. Hopefully episode 7 doesn't refer back to these too much thereby forcing me to rewatch them.

I haven't watched them since they first came out and I'm afraid to watch them now. I recall them being not great but not terrible. I want to hold on to that. Hopefully episode 7 doesn't refer back to these too much thereby forcing me to rewatch them.

Smart man. Don't do it. I watched them when I was 18 and didn't mind them. I'm 28 now and regard them as tough to sit through and a complete waste of time.

... I still like the parts when Yoda saves the day. Watch those scenes on YouTube.

Edited by Brickson

I could certainly see Lego retiring both EV and Sandcrawler (assuming neither is critical to the new movie) and refreshing the R5 box art and keeping it around for another year.

The X-Wings are pretty different. If they refresh the set and update the box art to say The Force Awakens there would be a lot of complaints about why they didn't do the new X-Wing. It would be like if they made a 2015 Corvette model, and then the next year said they were making a Stingray model, but just released the 2015 Corvette in a box that said corvette stingray.

• Like 1

The X-Wings are pretty different. If they refresh the set and update the box art to say The Force Awakens there would be a lot of complaints about why they didn't do the new X-Wing. It would be like if they made a 2015 Corvette model, and then the next year said they were making a Stingray model, but just released the 2015 Corvette in a box that said corvette stingray.

Not to mention, is Luke's call sign going to be Red 5 forever?  I thought that was just for the attack on the Death Star.

I doubt they'll do that.  They haven't done that with the Death Star, and I doubt they'll do that with the x-wing.  It will probably stay in the yoda box until it's finally sent off to pasture.  I could definitely see a ep7 UCS x-wing in the future.. but i'd be shocked to see it next year to be honest.  I think they'll do other ships in the movie first.

I doubt they'll do that.  They haven't done that with the Death Star, and I doubt they'll do that with the x-wing.  It will probably stay in the yoda box until it's finally sent off to pasture.  I could definitely see a ep7 UCS x-wing in the future.. but i'd be shocked to see it next year to be honest.  I think they'll do other ships in the movie first.

And don't forget a UCS version of the Bouncy Beachball Droid.

Have we seen any evidence that there is any relationship at all between catalog content and EOL schedule? I mean, it is a logical place to try and gather info, but it seems from a distance that meaningful results have yet to appear from such investigations.

• Like 1