Retiring Soon - open speculation

ouch! good excuse to rebuild though:)

We went away for Xmas last year and a friend's 19 year old son stayed at our house to look after it. We "offered" him the chance to build a DS. When we got home it was on our dining room table all put together with only 4 or 5 small pieces he couldn't figure out.

Well I was interested to see if the site "sold" any SSDs yesterday, and honestly I am shocked that either people bought these sets some other way, don't click any links, don't care about the set at all, can't afford it, not into buying big sets or just didn't believe it was being retired.  I see an Emazers thread coming one day titled, "You had your chance...."  :)

BTW my local Lego store said they are currently out but they are getting a SSD shipment on Monday. Whatever that means. Could be coincidence.

The store we are going to in Indianapolis said the same thing - not in stock but getting a shipment on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Well I was interested to see if the site "sold" any SSDs yesterday, and honestly I am shocked that either people bought these sets some other way, don't click any links, don't care about the set at all, can't afford it, not into buying big sets or just didn't believe it was being retired. I see an Emazers thread coming one day titled, "You had your chance...." :)

It seems this set was more popular when it was regularly discounted. Maybe 10221 is one of those "expensive" sets that look very cool but the mostly all gray bricks, repetitive build steps, and lack of interesting minifigs keep people away. I have one new (and used to have an opened boxed one) but will never build it due to some of the reasons above. Nevertheless, many people will prob flock to this set once retired.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

Well I was interested to see if the site "sold" any SSDs yesterday, and honestly I am shocked that either people bought these sets some other way, don't click any links, don't care about the set at all, can't afford it, not into buying big sets or just didn't believe it was being retired.  I see an Emazers thread coming one day titled, "You had your chance...."   :)

I did all affifilate links yesterday and today. I guess though they do not charge until it ships and they are back ordered.  Between yesterday and today 2DS and 5 SSD and a handfull of others.

This is just me but I'd pick up two Tower Bridges before a SSD. I don't own any DS but I'm getting ready to pick one up only because I can get it in the low $200's. Also, this is the first time I've seen any type of mania for a set that's about to be reitred. That's kind of strange when we all have a pretty good idea when some sets will retire.

This is just me but I'd pick up two Tower Bridges before a SSD. I don't own any DS but I'm getting ready to pick one up only because I can get it in the low $200's. Also, this is the first time I've seen any type of mania for a set that's about to be reitred. That's kind of strange when we all have a pretty good idea when some sets will retire.

U must have missed the HD mania
  • Like 1

I did all affifilate links yesterday and today. I guess though they do not charge until it ships and they are back ordered.  Between yesterday and today 2DS and 5 SSD and a handfull of others.

Which reminds me - do affiliate links actually work in case of "charge when ship" and it is not shipped right away? I suspect that in case of certain merchants affiliate links work only for stuff immediately available, but correct me if you know for sure it is not the case...

Which reminds me - do affiliate links actually work in case of "charge when ship" and it is not shipped right away? I suspect that in case of certain merchants affiliate links work only for stuff immediately available, but correct me if you know for sure it is not the case...

All places show you different metrics. Some show  you immediately after purchase.  Some you have to wait 24 hours.  Lego will not show you anything until it ships.

All places show you different metrics. Some show  you immediately after purchase.  Some you have to wait 24 hours.  Lego will not show you anything until it ships.

Well if they ship this month it should be a good showing.  I will probably be banned after this month.

not that this is scientific, but if you just search under star wars theme at LEGO Shop at Home and group by newest to oldest and then look where the SSD is, the pattern would lead one to believe its the next one in line to retire - everything after it is SOLD OUT.

if this pattern holds I would predict the overpriced previszla mandalorian fighter would go next (not hard to do genius since its already labeled retiring soon duh)...

• Like 1

I don't think the SSD is going anywhere anytime soon. 

I believe the DS should go first before the SSD.  Why?...........Because its time to go.

Giving the same price point. I rather invest in the DS over the SSD anyways.  **24 minifigs**.

I also believe the DS will give you a better ROI down the road.

10 DS and 10 SSD  or just 20 DS

16 DS & 4 SSD= Good MIx

The DS is going nowhere.  There is no reason to stop that set...too popular.  The SSD is showing signs of EOL.  A "Sold Out" on S@H.  Jacked up prices from other retailers.  Out of stock on TRU.  Sure, it can be around for another month or two...or three...but the writing is on the wall. With the new UCS sets, the existing ones will fade into the sunset...

Seems like everyone is convinced this will be a 600-700 dollar set one day. I dont see it but ive been wrong many times before. Too much of a skeptic to load up on these at that price but more power to you guys.

As a huge SW fan this is a set that I have to have no matter what. It's Darh Vader's ship. Just like I have to get the emperial shuttle . ( let's go classified ;) )

Are you talking about the SSD? Then you are certainly mistaken sir. For people loading up it will be a disappointment if its only a 600-700 set.

Seems like everyone is convinced this will be a 600-700 dollar set one day. I dont see it but ive been wrong many times before. Too much of a skeptic to load up on these at that price but more power to you guys.

• Like 1

If the LEGO secondary market stays status quo, then there is a strong possibility that the SSD will eclipse the $700 mark IMO after EOL.  The appreciation of these large LEGO sets are almost a given and with the new STAR WARS movies launching, I can see renewed interest in the entire theme.  I know many members have a limited budget and a behemoth like this set is out of reach, but to those who have the wherewithal to afford this set, it would be prudent IMO to buy a couple for a rainy day....