Retiring Soon - open speculation

Thanks I thought so...

Best deal I remember on these was bogo anyone see something better? And I remember they went oos a lot during that time

I think you could get them around $75 - $80 each before Christmas last year.  It might have been BOGO 50% off or a straight 20% discount on the $100 MSRP plus Wendy's coupon.

Look at the current guide prices.  It came down a little fromt he previous update but still strong.  Being the largest friends set I will be holding these a few years.  I think this will be an under the radar set.  Guys pass over this kinda stuff.  I got 4 more this morning and will visit my local store to see what they have in stock.  Last I checked they had a few.

NO, these early friends sets will hold water in my opinion.  If the entire first wave performs at half of what butterfly beauty shop has done then this set is at $200.00.  The entire of the 4 digit sets has done well with the recent retirements.  After this it is olivias house and the first wave of investable sets will be retired. 

The thing about City is to get into sets that aren't going to get remade every third year.  I won't touch the Fire and Police stuff because they are constant remakes, but Mine/Farm/Arctic/Cargo/Construction are themes that will only be visited once, or once every decade or so.  Other specialty buildings and vehicles do well too.  Look at the last Hospital, it's a piece of crap and goes for a ton of money because they never make emergency sets like they should.  If they made a semi-accurate hospital set, it would sell through the roof, and no, I don't count that crappy Helicopter Rescue set they made and tried to pass it off as a Hospital. 

I personally like City sets, but I'm very picky about what I get into with them.  It really doesn't have anything to do with size.

I feel the same way. Pick and choose your battle when buying City sets. Planes, trains and unique building/vehicles will win.

Look at the Garage set. The one before it was different, but the current one looks grand and has a bit going for it, so it will do well.

Most City sets are worth it at 50% off!

Based on experience with all of the other sets that have gone down this road.  People are funny when it comes to buying things they thought were available at their convenience.  Still time for many of us as these will not disappear over night.  At least I do not think so.

Based on experience with all of the other sets that have gone down this road.  People are funny when it comes to buying things they thought were available at their convenience.  Still time for many of us as these will not disappear over night.  At least I do not think so.

I agree with you here.  People want what they can't have.

If it stays off LEGO Shop at Home, it will be interesting to see how fast it goes.  I think the HD at retail, which was about a third of this set, took a minute once Amazon restocked that last time.

I would be very very surprised if the SSD goes end of line before May the 4th. It would be terrible strategy/planning from a business standpoint and LEGO does strategic planning very well...They research the crap out of everything and I can't imagine their metrics would suggest that retiring it before May the 4th would do anything but decrease revenue.

Just my opinion however...

I would certainly buy now either way, if this is one of your targeted investments!