Retiring Soon - open speculation

I bought a couple of UCS B-Wings from Target last summer that arrived beat up (not a big deal) to the point that the seals came open (very big deal). That is the last time I tried to get a large set from Target.com. Actually Target ranks right up there with Toys R Us for schizophrenic shipping. I have had both very good and very bad experiences with those two retailers. Target boxes always have crushed edges when they arrive at my house, so it all depends on how well they use packing/filler material. TRU. Well, let's just say I've received from TRU sets in packaging that was literally two smaller boxes taped together to make one bigger box that still wasn't long enough unless the set was sitting at an angle in the package. This happened twice. That didn't end well. Wal-Mart and Lego have been perfect for me so far. Amazon is a close second. TRU and Target, depends on the day.

If you buy one they may just ship it in the retail box like walmart does with the shipping label on it.  Use the gift wrap option to avoid this.

I would gift wrap except the target website says this:

No External Packaging:

Is this a gift? Please note this item ships in its original packaging and cannot be gift-wrapped or concealed.

Look, If you missed the small hours of "Sold Out" status On Lego.com for the SSD, then the status is just like many other Exclusives " Out of stock, expect ship date........".
Currently the DS SSD TB PC PS SC are all out of stock.
I really don't know how that "Sold Out" Status works on their website.

Lots of investors are buying the high price items right now for the 2x vip points.

When this promotion Is over, then we will be able to gauge it better.

Im not saying its not going to retire, really no one knows exactly when, but I just think its not anytime soon (1-3 months) like some folk thinks.
Anyways, If you have the coins, then of course pick some up.
I hope they both go................... SOON!

In regards to tru jacking up their prices... the TB is at $300..the VW is at $165.... the GE is at $190.....r2d2 $230!!!
They have their own little world over there.
They are out of the SSD, but Im sure they will restock.

I'm really surprised that there are so many troubles with right packaging in the U.S. 

I never had any problems in europe. No matter if i bought things on amazon, TRU, LEGO Shop at Home, local retailers...

It's normal that Lego gets external packaging including filling material. 

Is it a packaging problem or are the shipping companies responsible? (or maybe both?)

back to topic: 

of course the SSD will be a winner on the secondary market. I don't know a single reason why it shouldn't. 

Ed mentioned the new Star Wars films. I think this will be a big boost for new AFOLS and youth lego and Star Wars fans.

Today i bought my second SSD, if i could i would buy many more. 

I'm really surprised that there are so many troubles with right packaging in the U.S. 

I never had any problems in europe. No matter if i bought things on amazon, TRU, LEGO Shop at Home, local retailers...

We have a lot of disgruntle employees working in America.

They are everywhere. 

The question is: will increasing the min. wage $10+ will make them package my merchandise better?

Seems like everyone is convinced this will be a 600-700 dollar set one day. I dont see it but ive been wrong many times before. Too much of a skeptic to load up on these at that price but more power to you guys.

I am pretty sure this will the next $1000 lego set after Green Grocer, if there ever is another one.  The big question for everyone is hitting 150% gain over retail ($1000) easier to attain with this set compared to 150% gain with the other $200 exclusives?  If this is on its way out (and it sure looks like it), then I vote for the SSD due to much lower stockpiles in resellers' warehouses.  I only have 2 right now, but I hope to add 2 more to make it my largest exclusive investment in dollar terms.

Isn't there some kind of mania for any given set about every other week?

I guess.  This is just new to me so I'm surprised to see it.  That's fine though.  Everybody continue to buy sets that have no official EOL yet and I'll continue to hunt down those already retired sets.  I picked up nine 6166's on Monday and already sold four.  I plan on picking up nine more 6166's next week and plan to use all that money on some more Robies.  Eventually I may pick up a SSD but not any time soon.  :)

So the good news about the site is that people should just buy what they are going to buy.  This being an update thread is where this info should be found.  These topics always turn an interesting way.  It is similar to sitting down a bunch of brokers with one client in the room and ask each one the best way to invest the money.  They would all have a different answer, almost none would matter as everyone's situation is different.  This would result in a confused client.  Carry on.

So the good news about the site is that people should just buy what they are going to buy.  This being an update thread is where this info should be found.  These topics always turn an interesting way.  It is similar to sitting down a bunch of brokers with one client in the room and ask each one the best way to invest the money.  They would all have a different answer, almost none would matter as everyone's situation is different.  This would result in a confused client.  Carry on.

Interesting you mention a bunch of us sitting down in a room.  Me being a gold & silver bug by nature have hoped on a few google hangouts w/ other gold & silver bugs.  It's quite interesting.  After a week of being on this forum, I started to imagine what it would be like to do a Lego google hangout.  I think it could be quite fun.