Retiring Soon - open speculation

I would be very very surprised if the SSD goes end of line before May the 4th. It would be terrible strategy/planning from a business standpoint and LEGO does strategic planning very well...They research the crap out of everything and I can't imagine their metrics would suggest that retiring it before May the 4th would do anything but decrease revenue.

Just my opinion however...

I would certainly buy now either way, if this is one of your targeted investments!

Counterpoint.

Lego gives away free money in April via their double points, wouldn't it make more sense to NOT sell an item like this (their most expensive set) during this particular month? (assuming they'll eventually sell them out completely eventually anyway).

Heading to the Lego store tomorrow. I'll be on the hunt for a SSD. Are people still seeing these in stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I'd call ahead to your store and reserve it. Even if they have one now, there's no guarentee there will be one there tomorrow! Overall, I think people are still finding them at LEGO stores and B&******, etc.

Heading to the Lego store tomorrow. I'll be on the hunt for a SSD. Are people still seeing these in stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Nope. But make sure you ask if they have any in the back as they don't always have room to put it out. This is how I got my last one.

If SSD really is done, then I predict some serious cash in the future of those who bought them. It is sets like these that definitely make me wish I had more dough to play with. There is just no way I could put $500 into 1 set, no way no how, I don`t have the luxury of that risk. But it will be a big money maker, and those who did think of waiting will be very sorry.

• Like 1

If SSD really is done, then I predict some serious cash in the future of those who bought them. It is sets like these that definitely make me wish I had more dough to play with. There is just no way I could put $500 into 1 set, no way no how, I don`t have the luxury of that risk. But it will be a big money maker, and those who did think of waiting will be very sorry.

Some folks might be crying in the black.

Some folks might be crying in the black.

Haha anyone who has doubted the potential of this set really isn`t paying much attention. Just wish I for one had the capital to invest, doesn`t mean I don`t believe in it though :thumbsup:

Walmart still has them in stock so does Target.  Know one really knows if this is the end.  Chances are LEGO could have just sold out to people trying to get 800 VIP points. They could still have more in a few days.  Does anyone really know?

Definetly possible. Still waiting on the Rover as well, though SSD has had an entirely different lifespan. Weird time for them to sell out though, in that they wouldn`t keep them around for May 4th and such. Guess we`ll find out soon enough.

Walmart still has them in stock so does Target.  Know one really knows if this is the end.  Chances are LEGO could have just sold out to people trying to get 800 VIP points. They could still have more in a few days.  Does anyone really know?

i would have to say that based on 100% of every other set that has looked like this in no longer being orderable has not come back. Until it actually says retired product it is not officially, officially done.
  • Like 1