Retiring Soon - open speculation

I'm not seeing any good evidence that this set is retired. I'd never trust the words of a Lego employee, and furthermore it's day 2 of double VIP...and a $400 set. I'd like to think the signs to look for are the 'Retiring Soon' tag on one of the European Lego websites.

Do i have to do everything for everyone!?! Some of you all need to pay attention. Aftwr seeing the palace get retired cause it's offensive for religious reasons then seeing the haunted hause be sited for devil toys I took the liberty to speed the process up for the ssd. Clearly we know it stands for something very inappropriate especially given its shape. I complained to lego and they told me due to my intimidating tactics the ssd will be retired by year end. You're welcome.

• Like 3

Don't you think many people would have waited to buy a SSD till May the 4th to get the Darth Revan minifigure instead of the the double VIP points? It's about a push value wise and there was a potential for some sort of discount as well. I get a feeling it is history.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I don't have any so I may go out and get one eventually, but is it really worth the panic? SSD may be a cash cow, but if we put diversify aside, are we sure 1 SSD will outperform 2.67 GE and 3.33 VW camper down the road?

Easier to sell one than three for the same profit.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

The SSDS has been really slow to sell here locally.  I recently unloaded my couple for a very small margin.  Wish it was a smaller box, it makes importing them from the US or buying them here, holding, then attempting to sell back to the US a very slim option, it pretty much adds $300US to the cost.  Still have my personal one on display though, I love it.

I can't believe they broke into that many pieces that easily. At least they made the set cash back in affiliate money.

I can personally attest to the fact that the Death Star does in fact fall apart easily when dropped from a table. My three year old accidentally knocked our DS off an 18" high table and it looked like this..

post-8090-0-16134600-1396497203_thumb.jp

• Like 7

I was going to wait until the May 4th promotion but since they might be gone, i went ahead and bought one from another Lego Store and them ship it to me. This one is my personal set. I still got my double points so it's good i guess. I will pick up a second for investment if they do show up for the 4th. 

I can personally attest to the fact that the Death Star does in fact fall apart easily when dropped from a table. My three year old accidentally knocked our DS off an 18" high table and it looked like this..

attachicon.gifDS4.jpeg

"Great shot kid, that was one-in-a-million!!"

Scooted to my local Lego store tonight and picked up an SSD. I would have gotten more, but the manager said Lego is limiting it to one per household because it's now a retired set. She warned me not to try to buy more than that with my VIP account lest I get flagged, but said getting another tomorrow shouldn't be a problem. They have more (and are apparently the only Lego store around that still has them), so I'll try to get one a day until they run dry.

• Like 1

So much for the talk of eol, now it's back for ordering with ship date of apr 10. I thought the fools day was yesterday?

Look at what happened with VH and BZ. This could be the end or we could just be getting started. Noway to know. Just Buy, Buy, Buy and then you know you won't miss the boat

So much for the talk of eol, now it's back for ordering with ship date of apr 10. I thought the fools day was yesterday?

I will say it again and emazers agrees with me ...If you are thinking of investing in the SSD, now is the time to do it. The 10% off from the Double VIP points could be the best discount you will see on this set. Don't procrastinate on a set like this. It could be retired very soon with the new UCS sets being released over the next several months.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I don't think the SSD is going anywhere anytime soon. 

I believe the DS should go first before the SSD.  Why?...........Because its time to go.
Giving the same price point. I rather invest in the DS over the SSD anyways.  **24 minifigs**.
I also believe the DS will give you a better ROI down the road.
10 DS and 10 SSD  or just 20 DS
16 DS & 4 SSD= Good MIx

I will say it again and emazers agrees with me ...If you are thinking of investing in the SSD, now is the time to do it. The 10% off from the Double VIP points could be the best discount you will see on this set. Don't procrastinate on a set like this. It could be retired very soon with the new UCS sets being released over the next several months.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

If there is anyone with a Kroger in a "Tax-free Amazon State" there is a better "deal"

Kroger has 4x Fuel Points until 4/19 on all gift cards

$400 Amazon gc = 1600pts = $1.60/gal off up to 35 gal = $1.60*35= $56

So $400 purchase - $56 savings = $344 SSD

• Like 2

If there is anyone with a Kroger in a "Tax-free Amazon State" there is a better "deal"

Kroger has 4x Fuel Points until 4/19 on all gift cards

$400 Amazon gc = 1600pts = $1.60/gal off up to 35 gal = $1.60*35= $56

So $400 purchase - $56 savings = $344 SSD

Thanks, yes, I take advantage of 4x fuel points at Kroger all the time and it provides great savings for Amazon purchases.