Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but it bears repeating. If you're a member of the Gamer's Unlocked Club from Best Buy, you can pre-order and buy all Lego Dimensions items for a nice 20% discount and 2x points. This will stack with any deal they might be having. It's 30 bucks for a 2 year membership.  

Yep, that partial Ecto-1 is quite bizarre.

I didn't even notice that at first! I don't think people who are not playing the game will want a partial Ecto-1. Would it have cost much more to finish it out so we could have a nice mini version to go along with the full size?

With the new packs coming out, I fear Ecto1 will be longer around as normal :(

I don't think one has to do with the other. There's a Back To The Future pack coming out as well and they retired the Delorean way before Back To The Future Day.

Its possible they will keep ecto-1 longer, but as mentioned it has nothing to do with the dimensions packs.  Dimensions is actually a different license from the normal sets. It will be a video game license, and they may or may not have the license for normal sets.  And as has been mentioned there are a number of themes that just retired that are featured in Dimensions, BTTF, LOTR, and Chima is on its last leg. 

• 2 weeks later...

Observation: LEGO store had only two GB on the shelf and none out back, the fewest I've seen since release. According to an employee, they've started trickling in six at a time.

extreme opposite from here, one store has 150+ lining the top shelves of the store all around ranging from late 2014 codes to a new 31R5.

They do appear to be slowing production down a little bit on this, Orlando store only had seven in when I visited last, local TRU had none for ages then a restock but only about ten on the shelf I counted.   I have 20 I slowly collected mostly from my Discover rewards and hope to have around 40 to 50 when its done, love this set its going to make good money!

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think when this set will retire?

After the DeLorean (I guess we all can agree that the car itself was a little bit of a letdown...) does perform quite well now that it is EOL I'd say that Ecto-1 won't perform worse...

Anyhow it's the oldes set in LEGO ideas right now (amazing! it's not that old!) and with Birds, BBT, Wall-E and Dr. Who coming I guess it has to leave us soon. Do you agree?

What do you think when this set will retire?

After the DeLorean (I guess we all can agree that the car itself was a little bit of a letdown...) does perform quite well now that it is EOL I'd say that Ecto-1 won't perform worse...

Anyhow it's the oldes set in LEGO ideas right now (amazing! it's not that old!) and with Birds, BBT, Wall-E and Dr. Who coming I guess it has to leave us soon. Do you agree?

If you look at the LEGO Ideas category: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/eu-inventory.cfm?cat_id=622 I think it's quite obvious that Birds will Retire first and soon. While it was still possible I ordered one Birds set on back-order from the Dutch LEGO Web-Store. Should be delivered in October. Remains to be seen if stock of Birds will then be replenished or whether it will be gone for good.

The Ghostbusters Ecto-1 will remain available for a little while longer I expect. But considering past Ideas sets, it's very unpredictable when TLG pulls the plug and retires a LEGO set. TLG probably has a target sale number, and when that number is reached, depending on the selling rate (is it a good seller or is it trickling selling) they decide to do another production run or retire it.

If you look at the LEGO Ideas category: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/eu-inventory.cfm?cat_id=622 I think it's quite obvious that Birds will Retire first and soon. While it was still possible I ordered one Birds set on back-order from the Dutch LEGO Web-Store. Should be delivered in October. Remains to be seen if stock of Birds will then be replenished or whether it will be gone for good.

The Ghostbusters Ecto-1 will remain available for a little while longer I expect. But considering past Ideas sets, it's very unpredictable when TLG pulls the plug and retires a LEGO set. TLG probably has a target sale number, and when that number is reached, depending on the selling rate (is it a good seller or is it trickling selling) they decide to do another production run or retire it.

I disagree that it is "quite obvious" Birds will retire first.