Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

Why are you worried?  

here's some comments made earlier about LEGO DELOREAN in that thread -

Delorean is doing better than average at more than 2x MSRP on amazon and ebay 6 months post EOL.

Delorean was discounted a long time and is cheaper.  Both of these things lend it to being more hoarded.

Ecto has never been discounted and costs more so might be less hoarded.

I am expecting even better performance from ecto than the delorean.

The day ECTO goes out of stock, the price on ebay will be $75 just to cover fees and shipping and will go up quickly from there.

This set is targeted right at AFOL's with money.

I don't expect this to go out of stock until December at the earliest and probably more like February based on Delorean longevity.  But you never know....

​But is the DeLorean the Town Hall of the Ideas series or can we expect similar growth from other models?

I see Ideas as an eclectic range of products that have standalone appeal and short production runs but are missing several key elements to be gold dust investment opportunities. Namely, the low buy-in, small size makes them a target for first-time investors who think that the Mars Rover growth chart is the tempate for everything. Also, the collectibility element that has served UCS, SW and Modulars so well, is lacking. Anyone who was able to find a retired modular or that elusive mini figure in a shop and complete their collection will know what I mean. We can see that themes like Winter Village and now The Simpsons grow wings when there is a range to put together.

Finally, they are missing that "BIG BAD EXCLUSIVE" tag which could apply to Taj Mahal or Tumbler. These sets don´t have that display wow factor - they look cool on a shelf or an office desk  but that´s about it.

​But is the DeLorean the Town Hall of the Ideas series or can we expect similar growth from other models?

I see Ideas as an eclectic range of products that have standalone appeal and short production runs but are missing several key elements to be gold dust investment opportunities. Namely, the low buy-in, small size makes them a target for first-time investors who think that the Mars Rover growth chart is the tempate for everything. Also, the collectibility element that has served UCS, SW and Modulars so well, is lacking. Anyone who was able to find a retired modular or that elusive mini figure in a shop and complete their collection will know what I mean. We can see that themes like Winter Village and now The Simpsons grow wings when there is a range to put together.

Finally, they are missing that "BIG BAD EXCLUSIVE" tag which could apply to Taj Mahal or Tumbler. These sets don´t have that display wow factor - they look cool on a shelf or an office desk  but that´s about it.

I disagree. Keep in mind the RI has already doubled in price here down under.

Smaller, popular sets tend to increase in price faster than larger ones.  Look at the RI compared to the GE for example.  They also sell faster due to a cheaper price point. 

I do, however agree that being a part of a theme  has its appeal. By way of illustration, the Mixer will probably do better eol now that the Ferris wheel has come out. 

• Like 2

This set was still available on the shelf yesterday. However the store said it was going soon. Take that with a grain of salt as usual. 

"Get it before is gone, cuz it's gonna be gone soon" 

Said pretty much every salesman in the world.  High pressure sales get the result. On the other hand, most retail workers don't work on commission , so there isn't much incentive to do the hard sell.

Also, my local lego vendor has them at 20% off atm, so your comment has made me want to add more to my hoard. Is this just another glitch or is it on the way out? 

Edited by mike_eldorado

Said pretty much every salesman in the world.  High pressure sales get the result. On the other hand, most retail workers don't work on commission , so there isn't much incentive to do the hard sell.

Also, my local lego vendor has them at 20% off atm, so your comment has made me want to add more to my hoard. Is this just another glitch or is it on the way out? 

Majority of the Lego stores I've been to seem to tell us that whatever set we're looking at is "retiring soon" so there's something in place...
  • Like 1

Majority of the Lego stores I've been to seem to tell us that whatever set we're looking at is "retiring soon" so there's something in place...

I asked about 3 months ago, possibly earlier on this thread, is it about to go and was told; no it's only been out 9 months. How times quickly change. 

3 weeks ago the Milton Keynes store had the Exo suit labelled as retiring Soon. Yesterday the Warford store did not and knew nothing about that set retiring.  They also said it was a very slow seller. 

Someone once used the catalog to predict the SSD would stick around. They got burned ... BAD.

I do appreciate your advice but it does seem a bit odd to use 1/2 a page on an expensive brochure just to get rid of the last few units they have. Which arnt very expensive anyway.

Either way, ive got enough of them :)

• Like 1

I disagree. Keep in mind the RI has already doubled in price here down under.

Smaller, popular sets tend to increase in price faster than larger ones.  Look at the RI compared to the GE for example.  They also sell faster due to a cheaper price point. 

I do, however agree that being a part of a theme  has its appeal. By way of illustration, the Mixer will probably do better eol now that the Ferris wheel has come out. 

​Yeah, the mixer is doing better and both push each other - same with SH and KEM.

As Ed mentioned, it would be really good for us as builders and investors if Lego made bigger Ideas sets - imagine a LE Modular like the museum. I guess that after the 41999 bubble they won´t be too keen.

I do appreciate your advice but it does seem a bit odd to use 1/2 a page on an expensive brochure just to get rid of the last few units they have. Which arnt very expensive anyway.

Either way, ive got enough of them :)

​The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing us the SSD being in the catalog meant it would stick around for at least a few more months. 

9235122841_9c4ff13b03_o.jpg

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 5

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but Ecto-1 is back at US LEGO Shop at Home and you are able to add it to your cart.

Might just get 2. Took a drive to my local Lego store with the desire to grab some of these for the WS promo only to be told the store closed at 9:00. Google lied to me as I checked before I went out at it said 9:30.

Might just get 2. Took a drive to my local Lego store with the desire to grab some of these for the WS promo only to be told the store closed at 9:00. Google lied to me as I checked before I went out at it said 9:30.

​Nothing closes at X:30... :)

Edited by pickleboy

Maybe that's a strategy of LEGO to boost the sales!

Making people panic because it vanishes from the LEGO Shop at Home page and they realize "Damn! Actually I wanted to buy this thing.. I just kept waiting till now... it might be too late now!"

And then: Here it is again... feel free to buy! ;-) ("oh yeah... better buy some now... they could be sold out soon!") ^.^

Exosuit decommissioned... but still they have too many I guess xD It's about time they do a new discount on them xD  (for 3 times VIP points I'd take some!)

Maybe that's a stratf LEGO to boost the sales!

Making ple panic because it vanishes from the LEGO Shop at Home page and they realize "Damn! Actually I wanted to buy this thing.. I just kept waiting till now... it might be too late now!"

And then: Here it is again... feel free to buy! ;-) ("oh yeah... better buy some now... they could be sold out soon!") ^.^

Exosuit decommissioned... but still they have too many I guess xD It's about time they do a new discount on them xD  (for 3 times VIP points I'd take some!)

I think that you are looking too much into it. 

More likely its just due to having a crappy site.

This set is now a year old and new Ideas sets keep coming fast and furious.  I think this could last longer than BTTF, which was about 16 months, due to it's popularity but I think it will be gone by early 2016.  BTTF was regularly discounted and probably massively hoarded but is still performing well.  I have started buying more Ecto-1 with the Winter Soldier promo since it's the best discount I have been able to net so far after selling the figure.

I noticed the glitch on the LEGO Shop at Home and checked out Walmart's website which also said they didn't have any. The only place to go was Toys R Us, but their free shipping policy didn't apply to my postal code. So I figured I better zip down to the closest Lego Store (still 1.5 hours away by car) only to find that seriously had hundreds of them. Ecto 1's as far as the eye could see. Still decided to pick up 3 and a mini cooper for moi. I also can't wait for the lovely little turnaround that is to be had with the winter soldiers

I noticed the glitch on the LEGO Shop at Home and checked out Walmart's website which also said they didn't have any. The only place to go was Toys R Us, but their free shipping policy didn't apply to my postal code. So I figured I better zip down to the closest Lego Store (still 1.5 hours away by car) only to find that seriously had hundreds of them. Ecto 1's as far as the eye could see. Still decided to pick up 3 and a mini cooper for moi. I also can't wait for the lovely little turnaround that is to be had with the winter soldiers

Don't know where you're located to not be able to get free shipping @ TRU but it's available online also at Walmart, Amazon & Target...

Walmart

Amazon

Target

Mods, please feel free to add affiliates...

Edited by MartinP
Added affiliate links