Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

I am confused.

How is the Birds set comparable to the Ecto? Apart from both being Ideas sets. Surely they appeal to completely different people.

Looking at the Ebay sales figures Ecto is currently trading (in the UK) at 10% below RRP.
Birds is trading at up to 50% above RRP! 

I diversified portfolio should have both. I have the Ecto, 5 I think but no Birds yet. I may have missed the boat on this one.

I think birds will be back, and it's only trading for above ecto because its sold out everywhere at the moment and ecto is still widely available.

I do want a few birds, not really my thing but there no denying its popularity. For now I am not panicking about that.

I'm just gonna hit my target of ectos and then completely change my mind, panic and buy a load more.

Birds - ExoSuit II - the sequel.  The only people buying this set are QFLL wanabe - i sawer it in a documentary.  No actual LEGO users are excited by Birds.  Unless there is a second Birds release, this set reeks of dudness.  

Ecto will be one of those winners that was staring you in the face for so long you'll be questioning what was wrong with your mental faculties that you didn't buy more of these while it was available at target with a 5% red card discount.  The LEGO investing sequel to BTTF.  

The reason to buy Birds is you're contrarian and you think BIRDS is uber-unhoarded.  Which its not because of the documentary.  So investing in Birds you have a bunch of newbs who will be disappointed when it doesn't go up as fast as they wanted because the intrinsic demand stinks and then they start dumping at a low price post EOL which keeps the growth curve down.  Recipe for disappointment.

Ecto might not be as hoarded as some would believe - its never been discounted in north america.  I've only seen in on shelves in the lego store and at 2 TRU so not a lot of shelf exposure.  

Ghostbusters is being shown on a TV channel somewhere in the world right now.  Birds?  not so much.  

Even if ecto is hoarded, demand is only going to increase with the franchise reboot (even with the new actors nostalgia for the old slime will be there).  I'm up to 30 Ecto and would like to be at 50 by December.  I think it will be difficult to find in December-January and gone by Feb.

Does anyone have 5 or less ectos? A poll would be nice. Does anyone have 5 or more Birds?

Birds is definitely a great set.   I have to admit, I have bought 3 birds sets for every 1 ecto so far.  I know there is another poster here that sees it's potential, and i'm kind of convinced myself.  Bird watching is one of the largest hobbies in the world.  You think lego fans are obsessed, bird watchers can be even more compulsive and crazy.  combine that with a very interesting set and builds, and i think they have winner all over them.  I'd rather be sitting on birds than ectos.  I just feel ecto is going to have a lot of the "race-to-the-bottom" dwellers on both ebay and amazon for a long time ...  so, i'm not so adament on investing in sets that have a high % of those types of resellers. 

• Like 2

I think the Birds set is rather nice and makes a nice display piece for my office much like a casual fan of Lego might buy an architecture set to display.  There's that traveling Lego exhibit featuring large sculptures of birds and flowers that may cause people to seek out such a set.  I think it's coming to my local botanical garden soon.

I like to think of it as an Expert Creator creatures set which seem to have gone down a path of being cartoon-like and have turned me off to them.  I really liked the eagle set (31004 Fierce Flyer) but was disappointed with the recent Creator creature offerings. 

My point is, Birds is a nice set but may be too narrow a niche market to invest heavy in. Maybe you can move a small amount for a reasonable  profit after it goes EOL, but perhaps not in mass quantities like a Ghostbusters set.

To be fair I'm more of a collector and my opinion reflects that.  But I have been collecting all kinds of toys for a long time and have a gut feeling about this strictly as a toy collector not specifically only Lego.

Sorry, forgot this is the Ecto-1 thread.  Yeah, this one is a winner in my book. Looks fantastic on a shelf.  My advice would be to get the 3rd party accessories from brickforge to go along with it.

Edited by sharky1999

How many bird watchers want a LEGO set though or are willing to pay a premium for it on the secondary market?  We don't really know.  I believe Ecto-1 has a higher upside than Birds regardless of the number hoarded.  If Birds was going to really take off it needed to have a short shelf-life and limited availability.  It's been out all year and readily available at LEGO & TRU stores and online almost everywhere.  It will certainly be less stocked than the Ecto-1 by resellers, but the big question is what will demand be like post-retirement?

Sometimes it's not about being an enthusiast like a bird watcher for someone to like a set. IMO it's unique and asthetically pleasing more like art that transcends a building toy for kids.  To me, it appeals to someone who perhaps admires Lego artists but lacks the artistic skills to actually build something that nice.  The same person who would by the Beautiful Lego book would buy the Birds set.

In contrast, the Ecto-1 is a pop culture favorite and looks darn nice as a Lego set.

All I'm saying is Birds is nice but limited appeal so don't buy a ton.  Ecto-1 will give you more bang for your buck.

It's not only the number held by investors/re-sellers but the number of future buyers that matters. Ecto-1 has everything a set needs to be successful, and yes there will be more competition to sell them because of it. Patience is your friend if you want maximum return on your investment. They might not shoot up to 2.5x immediately, but they will pay off in the long run--and be relatively easy to sell.

Birds will not sell at the same clip as Ecto-1--especially with the new GB movie. It just won't. That's not saying it's a bad investment, merely one which is a little more difficult to turn into cash when it's time to liquidate.

It's not only the number held by investors/re-sellers but the number of future buyers that matters. Ecto-1 has everything a set needs to be successful, and yes there will be more competition to sell them because of it. Patience is your friend if you want maximum return on your investment. They might not shoot up to 2.5x immediately, but they will pay off in the long run--and be relatively easy to sell.

Birds will not sell at the same clip as Ecto-1--especially with the new GB movie. It just won't. That's not saying it's a bad investment, merely one which is a little more difficult to turn into cash when it's time to liquidate.

As long as they don't release some horrible version tied to the movie.

Yup, my definition of uber hoarded, too. Let´s hope every reseller can find 50 customers and got a good buy-in price!

It seems to you there is no current legoset you think will do well. Either it is "über hoarded" or there is a remake ghost hanging over it.  

I wonder why you are still in this game. If I were you I would sell all my HH's and TH's cause I would not sleep at night worrying about remakes.  

I would imagine BTTF was heavily hoarded as well but that seems to be going well for sellers

I agree. But a good set like this can afford to be hoarded and still make very nice profits.