Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

​Huh? and why? Sorry for not understanding your post.

​He's joking. Just read the last couple of pages of this thread. The Ecto has disappeared from the LEGO Shop at Home site in the past. There's a new Ghostbusters movie coming out with an all female cast so Rebuild was jokingly referring to that.

​He's joking. Just read the last couple of pages of this thread. The Ecto has disappeared from the LEGO Shop at Home site in the past. There's a new Ghostbusters movie coming out with an all female cast so Rebuild was jokingly referring to that.

​Thanks. That's what I get for not reading the last couple of pages. I'm hoping they put it back up soon. I want to get it along with a couple of small things to get the Winter Soldier promo.

My local store a half a shelf and tons of stock on top of the shelf. I'm ready to swoop in.

I think this is one of Lego's top sellers on a consistent basis. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while.

Edited by pete411

given that its a licensed set and not part of a full theme it could really go at any time.  the delorean only last year and a few months, and I dont believe that sold out as quickly as Ecto-1 will.  1 year is up for Ecto-1, and Big Bang, and Dr Who are on the horizon.  Of course with the new movie coming its possible they locked up the licensing for longer.  If you have a quota get it now, I am not sure this will see much discounting if it does go soon.

also keep in mind this will be much more hoarded than the delorean was so growth might be slow....

Edited by jay4e

I was in the Watford store debating what to buy, this or a exo Suit or a LOTR 79018. An employee said all 3 were retiring soon. But I learnt later than this employee had only worked there  for 3 months. The ecto has only been out for a year so it would be a shorter run compared to the Delorean

i bought the 79018 ( who name I've forgotten). 

I'm slightly worried about the prospects for this set. I think it will take a year after EOL to get to 50% over RRP because the sets will change hands from reseller to reseller while it's close to RRP. I'm sure over the long haul, it will make money, but you have to ask yourself if you're willing to hold onto a set for two years to make any kind of return. I can see this at 3X RRP five years down the line, but that's a long time to have your money tied up. 

Of course with the new movie coming its possible they locked up the licensing for longer.

​I thought they'd keep the Delorean around because this year is the 30th anniversary of BttF and it's the year that Marty travels to in BttF II. I doubt the new GB movie will have any effect on the duration of the Ecto's license.

• Like 2

I'm slightly worried about the prospects for this set. I think it will take a year after EOL to get to 50% over RRP because the sets will change hands from reseller to reseller while it's close to RRP. I'm sure over the long haul, it will make money, but you have to ask yourself if you're willing to hold onto a set for two years to make any kind of return. I can see this at 3X RRP five years down the line, but that's a long time to have your money tied up. 

Why are you worried?  

here's some comments made earlier about LEGO DELOREAN in that thread -

I think those who want it will be buying up now for the most part. Limiting growth down the line. That said, I haven`t bought mine yet, so I may be wrong about that. Potential really is dependant on that in this case, but also the room for growth in the number of fans. If it does experience growth (which it certainly will of some kind) I doubt it will be huge. Maybe years down the line, but that`s only worth it for those who want to hang onto some to find out. Needless to say, I will be purchasing a few just in case. If it doesn`t work out, at least I can build all three models at the same time  :thumbsup:

I think it will be average.

Delorean is doing better than average at more than 2x MSRP on amazon and ebay 6 months post EOL.

Delorean was discounted a long time and is cheaper.  Both of these things lend it to being more hoarded.

Ecto has never been discounted and costs more so might be less hoarded.

I am expecting even better performance from ecto than the delorean.

The day ECTO goes out of stock, the price on ebay will be $75 just to cover fees and shipping and will go up quickly from there.

This set is targeted right at AFOL's with money.

I don't expect this to go out of stock until December at the earliest and probably more like February based on Delorean longevity.  But you never know....

Edited by cladner
  • Like 4