41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Why do I have this image of hundreds (if not thousands) of brickpickers hunched over their keyboards at 11:59am EST on August 1st waiting to push the "add to cart" button.......

I would laugh my arse off if you crashed the Lego LEGO Shop at Home server.......

I can't actually believe a company would do something so ludicrous...

Why did they need your last name? 

This all started when I asked if they had the special edition crawler in stock...

me: Do you have the 4x4 special edition in stock?

clerk: (stares at me blankly)...yes...(long pause)

me: can I buy one?

clerk: (looks at me, long pause): have you bought one before?

me: (I'm kinda confused at this point): No...

clerk: Are you sure?

me: Pretty sure I haven't...

clerk: ok...(leaves to go get one)

I go to pay and he asks

clerk: do you have a VIP card? 

me: nope

clerk: do you want to sign up for one?

me: no, I'm in a hurry

I go to hand him my credit card and he looks at it and says, "I"m sorry but your wife was in here earlier and bought one of these, it's one set per family per day."

At this point things were just getting weird and there was a line behind me so I was like "um...ok...I'll have to check with my wife..."

Just to make me feel better, he said "You can come back next week and if we have any left you can get one."

I was thinking "but you said it was per family per day..."

I guess if they think you're a criminal you're banned for at least a week.

This all started when I asked if they had the special edition crawler in stock...

me: Do you have the 4x4 special edition in stock?

clerk: (stares at me blankly)...yes...(long pause)

me: can I buy one?

clerk: (looks at me, long pause): have you bought one before?

me: (I'm kinda confused at this point): No...

clerk: Are you sure?

me: Pretty sure I haven't...

clerk: ok...(leaves to go get one)

I go to pay and he asks

clerk: do you have a VIP card? 

me: nope

clerk: do you want to sign up for one?

me: no, I'm in a hurry

I go to hand him my credit card and he looks at it and says, "I"m sorry but your wife was in here earlier and bought one of these, it's one set per family per day."

At this point things were just getting weird and there was a line behind me so I was like "um...ok...I'll have to check with my wife..."

Just to make me feel better, he said "You can come back next week and if we have any left you can get one."

I was thinking "but you said it was per family per day..."

I guess if they think you're a criminal you're banned for at least a week.

Sh005.jpg

Is this the culprit? I've been after him for too long!

Guest ph4tb0i

I suspect half a set per family, and you will need to mail them an original copy of your family tree before they let you order....SMH lego, these limits are starting to get out of hand.

don't forget about the self addressed stamped envelope for Lego to mail you back the pieces. :D

Guest ph4tb0i

looks like Aug 1, 12:00AM EST. 

Sucks that LEGO Shop at Home doesn't allow deliveries to third party shipping now... I'm wondering if the exclusivity of this set is worth the $50 Canadian premium... 

Why do I have this image of hundreds (if not thousands) of brickpickers hunched over their keyboards at 11:59am EST on August 1st waiting to push the "add to cart" button.......

I would laugh my arse off if you crashed the Lego LEGO Shop at Home server.......

Won't happen, large retail sites are made to handle massive amounts of traffic simultaneously, and on a MUCH higher level than this. On certain release Saturdays the Nike and Foot Locker sites are overrun with hundreds of thousands of people trying to get a ridiculously limited run.

Still haven't made up my mind about this purchase. I'm sure there will be a restock before Xmas, but it should lose the 'Exclusive Edition' tag, right?

Does anyone know what the limit is for S@H when ordering 41999? Thanks.

I believe the ordering limit would be "1" for such a limited run exclusive.

Apparently Lego is not being consistent with their exclusion policies.  Apparently at my local store the limit is one set per FAMILY.  So someone else with the same last name bought a set and I wasn't allowed to.

Oh brother, talk about grabbing at straws. That is simply just ludicrous.

The other wild card is the regular crawler... will people pay a premium for a license plate and the color blue? If this sells out people looking for a crawler can just buy the regular set. Perhaps this is what Lego is looking for to prop up sales of the regular crawler. Any heavyweights weigh in?

Guest AnnexBrett

Talked to the sales people at my neighbourhood store and they should be getting these in tomorrow night, weekend latest. I asked to have one put on hold for me as well as a Delorean. :D

One of those rare times I feel so excited buying a Lego set that's not for sale. haha. 

I ordered a Delorean from mastermind toys yesterday and received it TODAY! MINT box...free shipping! I want a crawler too!

Guest ph4tb0i

I ordered a Delorean from mastermind toys yesterday and received it TODAY! MINT box...free shipping! I want a crawler too!

oh right. completely forgot mastermind has that. Thx! :)

Guest ph4tb0i

Won't happen, large retail sites are made to handle massive amounts of traffic simultaneously, and on a MUCH higher level than this. On certain release Saturdays the Nike and Foot Locker sites are overrun with hundreds of thousands of people trying to get a ridiculously limited run.

Still haven't made up my mind about this purchase. I'm sure there will be a restock before Xmas, but it should lose the 'Exclusive Edition' tag, right?

You'd think so, but up here in the great white north Best Buy (A North American Electronics retailer), which also runs Futureshop, has never managed to get this concept of ecommerce right. we have check out lines online where we have to leave our browser window open for 30 minutes during the busiest shopping day of the year in order to check out!

The other wild card is the regular crawler... will people pay a premium for a license plate and the color blue? If this sells out people looking for a crawler can just buy the regular set. Perhaps this is what Lego is looking for to prop up sales of the regular crawler. Any heavyweights weigh in?

I'm starting to wonder as well.  My lego store told me that the demand for big technic sets isn't very high.

Guest ph4tb0i

Lego store at Troy Michigan (somerset collection) has them in and are already selling them. Got them to hold one for me for Saturday. (I'm 300 miles away LOL). 

Good thing my wife wanted to take a roadtrip down to do some outlet mall shopping in the Michigan area. :D Now if only I can convince her that we absolutely HAVE to go to Cedar Point..