LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion

Captain_Obvious

1 hour ago, Captain_Obvious said:

I wonder how this one is going to play out:

• Members can now also earn points by registering previously purchased sets via the unique QR code in the building instructions and cataloguing them on their LEGO® Insiders account.

Will it mean that if I purchase a set from Walmart/Amazon and use the unique QR code inside the box, I'll earn points? If so, I'm guessing it will be 1 point per dollar like Target. 

Does anyone know when they started putting unique QR's in the instructions?

According to Jay's Brick Blog, it should be 20 points per scan. QR codes started showing up in 2017 or 2018.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mvm1919 said:

According to Jay's Brick Blog, it should be 20 points per scan. QR codes started showing up in 2017 or 2018.

Immediately someone will post all the QR codes somewhere online of course this would take away the usefulness of tracking the sets you have if you are adding ones you don't have.

34 minutes ago, wegj15 said:

Immediately someone will post all the QR codes somewhere online of course this would take away the usefulness of tracking the sets you have if you are adding ones you don't have.

apparently each QR code is unique to that specific copy of the manual, with a serial # as part of it, so there are no two alike, so once a qr code is redeemed it won't be good for anyone else

of course I am a collector and collect most of my lego new in sealed boxes to display and only open a few.  so much for me getting those points

at least the purchase vip points will keep going and hopefully at the same level

what will they call it double insider points events lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, starwarsxpress said:

LEGO VIP Reward for Fantasy Adventure Ride is live

How long have these VIP rides been lasting before the redemptions are "sold out"?  I'd like to have as much time in October/November to redeem this thing, hoping to overlap with a decent promotion or two.

1 hour ago, Dr Jedi said:

How long have these VIP rides been lasting before the redemptions are "sold out"?  I'd like to have as much time in October/November to redeem this thing, hoping to overlap with a decent promotion or two.

No one knows....all the VIP rewards have been all over the place in how long they last.  I do think this one might last longer than the others rides, as it looks, objectively, the weakest of the bunch.

8 hours ago, keymomachine said:

Is there already an app to scan these QR codes and register them to our account? I tried scanning a recent build code in 'Lego Builder' and it just brought me to the instructions, didn't add it to my sets, where just Lego Mario is.

Monday is when it begins not sure what the process will be. 

Hmm, luckily I keep most of my manuals together so perhaps this won't be too arduous. Unfortunately, I sold off a significant portion of my 'used built with box and manual' collection over the past several months...

At only 20 cents per scan, I'll save this as a rainy day 'chore' for my kids.

Not sure what is going on with the “upgrade” but as usual with electronic things Lego never gets it right. It looks like you will have to create an account in the Builder app and use that to scan the sets? This will create a collection but I do not see any points yet and not sure about past sets that you may have used the app to build. M&R in his video was questioning why Lego would do this as they never give away anything. I think this might be another step towards migrating to instruction free sets getting people to use the app instead. 

IMG_1569.png

IMG_1571.png

IMG_1570.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pharmjod said:

If Lego ever goes exclusively to digital instructions I'll probably be done with the brand. They can talk about being environmentally conscious all they want, but I'm pretty sure digital instructions is nothing more than a lazy way to save money.

Those physical instructions were a big part of our childhood, but I recently did my first 3d build and was blown away by the tech. I know you remember those old instructions - you never saw all the angles and I would constantly have to go back and forth with the instructions to ensure I was getting it right. Now I can pan, zoom, and turn around to see all angles while building. This is really helpful with all the new elements, like leaves, that don't click into a static position. Still, I'll miss the instructions as being part of the overall collection of the set.

I have used digital instructions for many things built out of Lego. Including official instructions from Lego. And my statement stands. If they move exclusively to digital I'm done with the brand. I think a lot of parents will feel the same way. It's already an expensive super premium toy. It's going to feel really cheap and frustrating if you spend a lot of money on something and then have to download an app to build it. You never really fully own something if it's digital.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Those physical instructions were a big part of our childhood, but I recently did my first 3d build and was blown away by the tech. I know you remember those old instructions - you never saw all the angles and I would constantly have to go back and forth with the instructions to ensure I was getting it right. Now I can pan, zoom, and turn around to see all angles while building. This is really helpful with all the new elements, like leaves, that don't click into a static position. Still, I'll miss the instructions as being part of the overall collection of the set.

Yes, the true 3D digital instructions on an iPad are far superior especially for Technic and applying stickers to speed champions sets because you can see the “future” build as a silhouette. Also, you can differentiate the colors better. Not sure if anyone will buy and build the $200 Chewbacca but those paper instructions will be a nightmare to differentiate the shades of brown and decreases the enjoyment of the build. The PDF instructions, some sets only have these available like Rivendell, are worse as they don’t have the red line used for piece placement. I know this pic is a simple example but further on in the build I had no clue where the pieces went and had to switch to the paper instructions. They are also pushing this “Build Together” aspect with the App that I do not use. 

Lego said the reason for changing the packaging for CMF was to use environmentally friendly recycled cardboard not to prevent smooshing. 

IMG_1572.jpeg

IMG_1574.png

IMG_1573.png

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

Anyone getting the points per scan thing to work?

I get a do you want to build or earn points screen after scanning, I select points, then a prove your an adult with a simple math equation that a lot of people in the USA won’t get because of the metric formula format (48/6) then Join or login into your account. I am already logged in but try that and it just takes me back to the beginning. 

26 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

I can't get this to work at all. I've tried using the app, using just camera and going straight to the site, no matter what I get to the lego.com redemption page in browser and it's just spinning endlessly. 

This was my content blocker. Disabled and it's working great now. Highly recommend deleting the Builder app and scanning with your phone camera to go straight to the redemption page.

• Like 1