Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

56 minutes ago, raindroplet said:

I think the reality is that we're going to see 9k sellers for the Castle in the Forest. That set didn't have the same purchase limit as these sets and sold out in under an hour. There's no way the majority of those purchases weren't from resellers. I'm hopeful that it will remain popular enough to be profitable.

Castle in the forest is a home run.

I think the reality is that we're going to see 9k sellers for the Castle in the Forest. That set didn't have the same purchase limit as these sets and sold out in under an hour. There's no way the majority of those purchases weren't from resellers. I'm hopeful that it will remain popular enough to be profitable.
The castle could be bought 5 at a time. There will definitely not be 9k different listings for that. The point of my post was that with a 1 set per household purchase limit on the modular store and that the modular store probably provides the largest appeal to resellers, the majority of these buyers will be resellers all selling exactly 1 copy.

The castle was probably purchased mostly by resellers as well, but there will be many selling 2-5 copies, greatly reducing the number of individual listings.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

My biggest gripe is the lack of printed instructions. The largest market for these sets (AFOL's) would prefer something tangible, instead of something online. I realize they can be printed at home, but it's still not the same.

Small issue, but I think it's important to note.

I 100% agree with this, and I plan to purchase a quality set of printed instructions for each of these BL sets that I buy.  Certainly some entrepreneurial soul will see the opportunity this lack of instructions provides, and cash in on it.  My money awaits the best option.

5 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

My biggest gripe is the lack of printed instructions. The largest market for these sets (AFOL's) would prefer something tangible, instead of something online. I realize they can be printed at home, but it's still not the same.

packaging will matter more.  anything less than something professional and nice will basically remove as an AFoL gift option

10 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

I am still expecting that someone at LEGO will just decide

"c'mon, can't we at least print out some instructions for these guys".

Edited by KShine
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

The castle could be bought 5 at a time. There will definitely not be 9k different listings for that. The point of my post was that with a 1 set per household purchase limit on the modular store and that the modular store probably provides the largest appeal to resellers, the majority of these buyers will be resellers all selling exactly 1 copy.

The castle was probably purchased mostly by resellers as well, but there will be many selling 2-5 copies, greatly reducing the number of individual listings.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This was the sales breakdown provided by BL for the castle:

'Percentages: single set purchasers (75%) got roughly 51% of available sets. Buyers of two (15%) got approximately 20% of sets. Acquirers of three and four sets (5%) got about 12% and accounts that bought 5 sets each (5%) got around 17% of available sets. 10.000 sets went to 6800 accounts.'

• Like 3

The Venetian House finally called me in:)  I have plenty-ish of the now-retiring sets, and lots of time for the recently released sets, not much room left for huge black Friday hauls. The limited number of these was the tipping point. I Sooo hope LEGO gives these a nice box. 

..And includes instructions book :)

2 hours ago, Belac said:

The Venetian House finally called me in:)  I have plenty-ish of the now-retiring sets, and lots of time for the recently released sets, not much room left for huge black Friday hauls. The limited number of these was the tipping point. I Sooo hope LEGO gives these a nice box. 

Unless they make a pretty dramatic about-face, that instruction book ain't happening... :(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Belac said:

I was thinking about picking this one up but figured I would wait 2 weeks until double vip and see if it is still available. Looks like LEGO did a good job with anticipating demand originally with the 5K except for the castle. 

Speaking of the castle in the forest the parts list is out if anyone has the skills to pull a file 

@nomoremonkeys?

F8BFCFC5-7983-4CA5-8A8B-CA3BAFF1C76A.png

The lack of instructions booklet is really a bummer. Actually a big part of the reason why I haven't per-ordered all 5 sets.

Right now I just have the Lego Store and Venetian Houses ordered...as I am a modular buildings fanboy and these two sets will integrate well into my collection.

Still on the fence about the Retro Bowling Alley. I'll probably flinch and buy near the 10k mark.

6 hours ago, thedingman5 said:

Unless they make a pretty dramatic about-face, that instruction book ain't happening... :(

Ya, the nice box is a hope, the printed instructions is just a dream.  I do understand what Lego is attempting by eliminating them, but some themes support the idea better than others. like Mario. Maybe Try out hemp paper for these pilot program sets or something, Especially for the price. This is all just for conversation really, maybe someone's listening. The PDF will suffice or as someone mentioned in an earlier post a third party maybe creates a quality instruction book.  Could be that someone at Lego just wants to see us beg for it...PLEASE...We'd all be just pickled tink if you added building instructions, at least the next time you run the program 😁   No worries, but remember BrickLink gave us quality packaging, instructions, and a special printed technic brick.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 4:46 PM, eliminator said:

The lack of instructions booklet is really a bummer. Actually a big part of the reason why I haven't per-ordered all 5 sets.

Right now I just have the Lego Store and Venetian Houses ordered...as I am a modular buildings fanboy and these two sets will integrate well into my collection.

Still on the fence about the Retro Bowling Alley. I'll probably flinch and buy near the 10k mark.

If I were you I wouldn't wait till the last minute. My friend's lego store preorder get cancelled cited the reason it was out of stock when he purchased, fact is he made the purchase before it even hit 3000 threshold. So I would say, once again, their ordering system is off. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil B said:

Reddit is saying that pre-orders of sets from the current round in this program qualify for double VIP points. So if someone is still on the fence, now might be the right time. You'll get your points in 2024 though .... :)

I did give in and get the Venetian House but overall the double points haven't done much to move the needle. I'm sure they'll make it to 10k in the end but I'm not liking this slow progress.