Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

15 minutes ago, BRIX23 said:

Yeah I'm back and forth on the bowling alley... It's a nice design.  I've become a bit confused by what the final design actually looks like/contains.  I started looking at it through the ideas page and it's quite a bit different there (more lanes and more insides).  The description on bricklink says things like "gumball machine" which is seen on the ideas photos, but I cannot locate it in the bricklink photos.

I feel that the bowling alley goes well with the hot shot carnival from the afol designer program on bricklink a few years ago. You can also kinda make it part of the fairgrounds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

They let everyone order 5 last time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Right! And the initial limit was only 5000, if I recall correctly.

Did Lego do any advertising for this? I can't find a single email for round 2 or initially for round 1. Only from August saying there are still some sets up for grabs. I wonder how much that will hurt the long-run performance of these sets.

• Like 1

Grabbed a Lego store and a Bowling alley. Orders went smooth. Not having paper instructions included makes them feel less like a complete set, but I'm happy Lego is doing the program. I was all over the first go around when BrickLink ran it and have done nicely on all those picks. Seemed like Those sets stayed available forever.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

Did Lego do any advertising for this? I can't find a single email for round 2 or initially for round 1. Only from August saying there are still some sets up for grabs. I wonder how much that will hurt the long-run performance of these sets.

I think it was yesterday that LEGO IDEAS sent me an email alert about the Venetian Buildings (because I supported the set). 

Other than that I haven't noticed any promotions/marketing

14 minutes ago, ponderingzissou said:

I think it was yesterday that LEGO IDEAS sent me an email alert about the Venetian Buildings (because I supported the set). 

Other than that I haven't noticed any promotions/marketing

I got announcements from Bricklink a few days ago and today when crowdfunding went live. But you'll probably have to allow that in your Bricklink contact settings.

Edited by paulvdb
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

Yes that is something to consider. I'm sure LEGO Youtubers will spread some info of these sets creating some demand. Of course it'll be accompanied with complaints of inflated prices and hate for LEGO re-sellers 😄

20211109_160656.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

I totally missed out on Round 1. I was in the process of moving and had more important things on my plate. I would have at least ordered the castle and the dogfight. Seems like there's been more advertising for this round. 

Considering this round just went live 1.5 hours ago and the Lego Store already has about 4000 pre-orders (at max 1 per person), I'm assuming resale will be strong for these.

But unlike the original BL crowd-funding program from last year, there's no instructions provided. What kind of box will they come in?

2 minutes ago, eliminator said:

I totally missed out on Round 1. I was in the process of moving and had more important things on my plate. I would have at least ordered the castle and the dogfight. Seems like there's been more advertising for this round. 

Considering this round just went live 1.5 hours ago and the Lego Store already has about 4000 pre-orders (at max 1 per person), I'm assuming resale will be strong for these.

But unlike the original BL crowd-funding program from last year, there's no instructions provided. What kind of box will they come in?

Agreed. Hate that instructions are digital and that we haven't seen packaging yet from round 1 🙁

Also curious how many of those 4000 pre-orders are for personal vs those bought to sell

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

I know we're getting VIP points. What happens if the sets are still available for VIP weekend double promo? I'm on the fence for the Venetian and double points might sway me.

I was thinking the same. But since your card doesn't get charged until the set ships... I'm assuming that's probably when the VIP points are processed?

Edited by eliminator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, eliminator said:

I was thinking the same. But since your card doesn't get charged until the set ships... I'm assuming that's probably when the VIP points are processed?

If you order something on backorder on double vip day, you still get double points. Just not sure if the promo applies to this program. I'm guessing not but would be nice to know. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

If you order something on backorder on double vip day, you still get double points. Just not sure if the promo applies to this program. I'm guessing not but would be nice to know. 

True true. But this is a pre-order, not a backorder.

Not sure what happens with pre-orders and points normally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eliminator said:

don't forget the 2nd rd has double the max units made from the 1st rd (5k to 10k) due to the whiners

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

Interesting that the Modular store is the only one even close to 10k and the other 4 all seem to be tied and holding at around 3200 or so. I think we may be seeing about 9k sellers on Ebay for the modular store.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think the reality is that we're going to see 9k sellers for the Castle in the Forest. That set didn't have the same purchase limit as these sets and sold out in under an hour. There's no way the majority of those purchases weren't from resellers. I'm hopeful that it will remain popular enough to be profitable.