COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

If you accept those things as normal then go ahead and get that vaccine QR code tattoo like this fool 😆

Nah...I'll pass on the tattoo.  None of those things are "normal" in the context of how we were able to live our lives prior to March 2020, but I recognize and accept the fact that we live in a complex world where **** happens that we have to adapt to.  I don't like all of the things that we've had to do to adapt to the pandemic, but I accept them because I know that there is nothing to be gained by whining, ignoring the reality that we are confronted with, or comforting myself with stupid conspiracy theories that do nothing to get us all back to where we'd like to be.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, redcell said:

Nah...I'll pass on the tattoo.  None of those things are "normal" in the context of how we were able to live our lives prior to March 2020, but I recognize and accept the fact that we live in a complex world where **** happens that we have to adapt to.  I don't like all of the things that we've had to do to adapt to the pandemic, but I accept them because I know that there is nothing to be gained by whining, ignoring the reality that we are confronted with, or comforting myself with stupid conspiracy theories that do nothing to get us all back to where we'd like to be.   

You’ve accepted your fate. When it comes and the government enforces that QR code tattoo You’ll comply because what choice do you have?  The “conspiracy” is playing out before your eyes and you are blind to it. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, redcell said:

get us all back to where we'd like to be.   

There is no going back. We've crossed onto a new, very narrow, difficult path. A path where the virus is but one stone to trip on. The splintered log that is the world economy will be the real generational change. Enjoy what you have. Count your blessings. When all is said and done, I believe we will have more in common with our depression era ancestors than the privileged generations which followed. 

38 minutes ago, Mathew said:

You’ve accepted your fate. When it comes and the government enforces that QR code tattoo You’ll comply because what choice do you have?  The “conspiracy” is playing out before your eyes and you are blind to it. 

LOL...whatever you say buddy...I think it may be time to adjust the meds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

If you really believe this, then you should really consider living off the grid and getting off the internet because if you worry about the government coming after you for not "complying", then your post history here is more than enough evidence for them to come after you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lazuli16 said:

If you really believe this, then you should really consider living off the grid and getting off the internet because if you worry about the government coming after you for not "complying", then your post history here is more than enough evidence for them to come after you. 

Funny story relating to this. I used to work at a job where we would have to take an individuals state issued I.D. to pull the picture and the name off of it, to create a temporary access badge. One particular individual refused to give me his because he quote "didn't want the government to have access to his information".

I think it is fair to be critical over certain decisions of those in power. But I get particularly turned off by groups when they attempt to say that the opposition is both extremely organized and evil, and then turn around and state they are dumb and inept. You can only have it one way.

• Like 2

Funny story relating to this. I used to work at a job where we would have to take an individuals state issued I.D. to pull the picture and the name off of it, to create a temporary access badge. One particular individual refused to give me his because he quote "didn't want the government to have access to his information".
I think it is fair to be critical over certain decisions of those in power. But I get particularly turned off by groups when they attempt to say that the opposition is both extremely organized and evil, and then turn around and state they are dumb and inept. You can only have it one way.
It is the same as the folks who are afraid of big government tracking their everything then being fans of the power of the free market, which created privacy-violating monsters like Google and Facebook.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

Living off the grid isn’t feasible. And why should I be pushed out of the house I own (technically not until it’s paid off).  I pay my taxes. Based on your viewpoint, it sounds like you don’t believe in my 1st amendment rights.  

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Phil B said:

It is the same as the folks who are afraid of big government tracking their everything then being fans of the power of the free market, which created privacy-violating monsters like Google and Facebook.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

No such thing as a “free market” any longer.  The big corporations you mention are in cahoots with the governments.  Facebook has censored millions of posts. Google owned YouTube regularly censors anti-gov content. Watch how quickly they will all enforce the vaccine mandates 

Edited by Mathew
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Living off the grid isn’t feasible. And why should I be pushed out of the house I own (technically not until it’s paid off).  I pay my taxes. Based on your viewpoint, it sounds like you don’t believe in my 1st amendment rights.  

Technically, no one "owns" their house...that's why you have to pay taxes on it. The government owns the land...private citizens have "rights" to the land.   Imminent domain means you can get kicked off "your land" in certain circumstances.  Also mining rights (stuff under your house) can be owned by another entity.

17 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Technically, no one "owns" their house...that's why you have to pay taxes on it. The government owns the land...private citizens have "rights" to the land.   Imminent domain means you can get kicked off "your land" in certain circumstances.  Also mining rights (stuff under your house) can be owned by another entity.

Sounds like you subscribe to the World Economic Forums “You will own nothing and be happy...” doctrine.  Technically you do own the land once it’s paid for. With that said if don’t pay your property taxes the government can put a lien on your house. Eminent domain is something else completely. Yes in some cases the government can take your land but they must compensate you in return along with all the other legalities. 

3 hours ago, Mathew said:

I work for the federal government and must now carry papers regarding my health status on me at all times. Whether you believe this to be good or bad it is up to you. I’m not arguing that here. Just a big step toward the collective vs individual. A long, core battle of United States Democracy. 

It’s been one week and already many individuals are requesting an easier alternative to carrying signed papers. I won’t be surprised if a temporary tattoo is suggested at some point. Sure would be convenient!

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

That's not right.  The government doesn't own the land underneath your house and that's not why you have to pay taxes.  Federal, state, and local governments impose various types of taxes based on the taxing powers that have been granted to them through their governing documents (e.g., U.S. Constitution, state constitution, etc.).  Property taxes are simply one subset of those taxes and are imposed on the ownership interest that you have in your property, regardless of whether that property is a car or a house.  If you fail to pay those taxes, the government can impose a tax lien on your property and eventually foreclose on it if you continue to fail to pay, but the effect of that foreclosure is to transfer your ownership interest in the property to the government to satisfy the debt you owe...it's not the government reclaiming what it owns and has simply been lending to you. 

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Sounds like you subscribe to the World Economic Forums “You will own nothing and be happy...” doctrine.  Technically you do own the land once it’s paid for. With that said if don’t pay your property taxes the government can put a lien on your house. Eminent domain is something else completely. Yes in some cases the government can take your land but they must compensate you in return along with all the other legalities. 

I think it's semantics at this point on how we personally define "own".

To me, if you can be forced off your property legally; then I don't think of that as ownership...the real "owner" is the entity that can force you off their property legally. And, to me, that would be the government.

For example; one of my favorite pizzaria restaurant happened to be on the path of the BART (Bay Area subway) extension. The family "owned" the building and ran a successful restaurant for generations.  No matter; imminent domain pushed them out...they did not want to "sell" but was "forced".  to me, that's not ownership.

12 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

To me, if you can be forced off your property legally; then I don't think of that as ownership...the real "owner" is the entity that can force you off their property legally. And, to me, that would be the government.

For example; one of my favorite pizzaria restaurant happened to be on the path of the BART (Bay Area subway) extension. The family "owned" the building and ran a successful restaurant for generations.  No matter; imminent domain pushed them out...they did not want to "sell" but was "forced".  to me, that's not ownership.

Eminent domain.  That’s a good example. However the city had to compensate the business and it was probably a decent amount of money. I’d be curious how much.  I don’t like eminent domain but in the case of major infrastructure like a BART line what exactly are you going to do?  Just make sure they pay you enough for it. 

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Not really...ownership of property is a pretty well defined thing at this point in time.  You can only be forced off your property or forcibly deprived of the right to possess and own your property if you fail to fulfill a responsibility that goes along with owning such property.  To say that you don't own something simply because a legal process exists that could deprive you of your possession of that property under some set of circumstances is an extraordinary narrow and rigid view of what it means to own something.  It would be a bit like saying that none of us are actually free because we could be forcibly confined by the government.

The fact that the government has the ability to force you to transfer ownership of your property using the power of eminent domain does not diminish the fact that you own the property that you hold title to.  The due process clause in the Fifth Amendment exists specifically to temper the power of the government in this area by obligating it to provide just compensation if it takes private property.  It always sucks for the person who doesn't want to sell, but has eminent domain exercised on their property. 

At the end of the day, living in a society like ours requires one to accept certain tradeoffs...you can own all the property you want, but if you don't pay the taxes that help fund the roads that lead to your property or the fire department that exists to protect it in the event of a fire, you are going to lose your right to own that property.  Similarly, each of us trades the risk of possibly losing our property to eminent domain for all of the myriad benefits that flow from the things that are only able to exist because the government can force the transfer of ownership of property through the use of eminent domain (e.g., electricity, roads, railroads, etc.). 

• Like 1

If you want to see what not owning your property and abusive use of eminent domain look like I suggest you investigate “property laws” in China and Vietnam. People there truly do have a lease on the land they build on sometimes 50 years sometimes 100 often with the “right” to renew the lease.

And to the comments on world economy being upset or changing, if you mean people of democratic nations realizing that the way they spend their dollars, often supporting brutal communist oligarchies, makes a difference in who controls the cards and what the world makeup looks like then I say it’s about bloody time. What hopefully will happen is some form of enlightened economic patriotism wherein citizens of democracies start spending their money like they know and care where it goes, realizing in some sense it is one of the few things an individual has control of to make a positive difference, or negative. I have nearly been able to stop purchasing goods made in China, it has cost me dearly in dollars and time, and of course is not perfect due to supplier masking. That said if you as a consumer are unwilling to pay a high enough price for an item such that your (democratic country) neighbor can earn a living wage making said good then how can that neighbor be expected to pay you a living wage for the work you do for a living. I’m not an economist, not even a freshman year Econ 101 student but this seems obvious and the change it brings will be huge. Demand our corporations do the right thing for democracy and freedom over profit, they will not do it unless we change how we spend, and it is truly very difficult but will get better in time, similar to the organic food movement that 10-20 years ago everyone thought would be outrageously expensive to implement and now organic food costs what 20-40% more, well worth it to not be sucking down chemicals and ruining our fertile land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The small rural city of 20k that I live in tonight requested a 50 bed mobile field hospital from the military because our local hospital has failed. Patients are in hallways and being held in ambulance bays. These are the darkest days of the pandemic thus far for my community and there’s no sign of the case numbers dropping.

Meanwhile, our top state infection disease doctor is getting threatening phone calls because there’s a conspiracy claiming that his son works for Dr. Fauci and that his daughter in law works for the World Bank and that he is getting kickbacks from the World Bank each time he promotes vaccines.

• Sad 1

The small rural city of 20k that I live in tonight requested a 50 bed mobile field hospital from the military because our local hospital has failed. Patients are in hallways and being held in ambulance bays. These are the darkest days of the pandemic thus far for my community and there’s no sign of the case numbers dropping.

Meanwhile, our top state infection disease doctor is getting threatening phone calls because there’s a conspiracy claiming that his son works for Dr. Fauci and that his daughter in law works for the World Bank and that he is getting kickbacks from the World Bank each time he promotes vaccines.

Sad to hear this and I hope help and a solution are coming, alas if this becomes the norm there simply will not be enough outside aid for everywhere that needs it. The projections said mid September for this level of trouble and we have not even made it out of August. I saw somewhere was offering 50k sign on bonus for nurses, that says a lot about need.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I’m not doubting you, just want to make that clear. But how many beds are available in total? I know many small towns have extremely small hospitals as it stands and are not prepared for really any kind of surge.

Praying for you all.

40 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Sad to hear this and I hope help and a solution are coming, alas if this becomes the norm there simply will not be enough outside aid for everywhere that needs it. The projections said mid September for this level of trouble and we have not even made it out of August. I saw somewhere was offering 50k sign on bonus for nurses, that says a lot about need.

Crazy, the non-vaxxed nurses getting fired can get a sign-on bonus somewhere else.