COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

Some hopeful progress coming out of UCSD.

‘Here is a summary of some recent studies on COVID-19. They include research that warrants further study to corroborate the findings and that have yet to be certified by peer review.

Sugar-molecule 'gates' help coronavirus infect cells.’

‘Researchers have discovered a sugary residue on the spike of the novel coronavirus that helps it to break into cells and infect them, according to a study published in Nature Chemistry https://go.nature.com/3sBBx7i on Thursday. The molecules that make up the sugary coating, called glycans, act as "gates" that open to let the spike's receptor-binding domain attach itself to a cell. Without this gate, the receptor-binding domain cannot take the shape it needs to break into the cell, Rommie Amaro of the University of California San Diego, who coauthored the study, said in a press statement. If drugs could be developed that "lock" the glycan gates closed, the virus would be prevented from entering and infecting cells.’

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Some hopeful progress coming out of UCSD.

‘Here is a summary of some recent studies on COVID-19. They include research that warrants further study to corroborate the findings and that have yet to be certified by peer review.

Sugar-molecule 'gates' help coronavirus infect cells.’

‘Researchers have discovered a sugary residue on the spike of the novel coronavirus that helps it to break into cells and infect them, according to a study published in Nature Chemistry https://go.nature.com/3sBBx7i on Thursday. The molecules that make up the sugary coating, called glycans, act as "gates" that open to let the spike's receptor-binding domain attach itself to a cell. Without this gate, the receptor-binding domain cannot take the shape it needs to break into the cell, Rommie Amaro of the University of California San Diego, who coauthored the study, said in a press statement. If drugs could be developed that "lock" the glycan gates closed, the virus would be prevented from entering and infecting cells.’

I knew gates was behind this.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

It'll be time to move onto the Lambda variant soon.

https://covariants.org/per-country

Lambda could be next but seems to be fizzling out in South America, other than Peru. It appears other than our current Delta surge, the next/unknown mutation could the biggest potential  threat. 

image.png.a812e5e526ea6dce350dce1d0676d86e.pngimage.png.19f9afd204de584d3d918587c8bf3bae.png

image.png.14e00f089ee11b7cdf8ec72a515dcdee.pngimage.png.e80766b3a2af70e149a99cdc1c4bba86.pngimage.png.bde5aaf59d74684c75bdbcb05fbe9f21.png

Edited by BricksBrotha

FDA grants full approval for the Pfizer Vaccine for those ages 16 and up clearing the way for more employer mandates, and more event participation requirements. The amount of alleged people still holding out to get the vaccine until it is fully approved is minuscule and will not make that much of a difference towards herd immunity. Those that have decided not to get the vaccine will most likely still not change their minds unless they have a close personal life altering experience with Covid. Also, I still do not think this will make anyone FOMO into the vaccine. 

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

FDA grants full approval for the Pfizer Vaccine for those ages 16 and up clearing the way for more employer mandates, and more event participation requirements. The amount of alleged people still holding out to get the vaccine until it is fully approved is minuscule and will not make that much of a difference towards herd immunity. Those that have decided not to get the vaccine will most likely still not change their minds unless they have a close personal life altering experience with Covid. Also, I still do not think this will make anyone FOMO into the vaccine. 

the biggest piece by far is that it clears the legal hurdle of requiring an "experimental" vaccine.  Now that it's official more organizations can require it.

no different then say the polio vaccine (at least from a legal stand point) or a tetanus shot.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

the biggest piece by far is that it clears the legal hurdle of requiring an "experimental" vaccine.  Now that it's official more organizations can require it.

no different then say the polio vaccine (at least from a legal stand point) or a tetanus shot.

Perpetual vaccines, boosters, masks, social distancing, health passports, temperature checks, virtual learning, chip shortages, staff shortages and lockdowns. All in the name of protecting the world. Welcome to Prison Planet Earth. 

Edited by Mathew

6 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Perpetual vaccines, boosters, masks, health passports, temperature checks, virtual learning, chip shortages, and lockdowns. All in the name of protecting the world. Welcome to Prison Planet Earth. 

Oh no, not basic healthcare and supply and demand! We're living in a dystopia!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Meanwhile on “Prison Planet Earth”:  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/aug/22/police-say-melbourne-anti-lockdown-protest-most-violent-in-nearly-20-years

MSM is surprisingly quiet when it comes to reporting the worldwide protests.  Must be protecting us 🤤

To be fair, a cursory search on Google news showed New York Times covered it 2 days ago.  CNN is covering it too, but I have to search specifically for it (which was weird)

20 hours ago, Mathew said:

Perpetual vaccines, boosters, masks, social distancing, health passports, temperature checks, virtual learning, chip shortages, staff shortages and lockdowns. All in the name of protecting the world. Welcome to Prison Planet Earth. 

LOL...would you like some cheese with that whine?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, redcell said:

LOL...would you like some cheese with that whine?

If you accept those things as normal then go ahead and get that vaccine QR code tattoo like this fool 😆

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/08/23/man-gets-tattoo-of-covid-19-vaccine-qr-code-on-his-arm/amp/

image.thumb.jpeg.360dc553fa863ad46826e146a4515937.jpegI wonder if he also got a free Big Mac with his Vaccine QR code tattoo?  😋

Edited by Mathew

Regardless of where you stand on covid, vaccines and masks we should all take a moment to consider our position in world history. Just like 9-11, young people will ask what it was like when it happened? What it was like before? How you felt? And most importantly, how the world changed? Interesting ideas to ponder. 

I believe this is just the opening innings of a gripping seven game series. I for one will grab my popcorn and watch the chaos unfold while preparing for a new world order. Observe and react as the chapters of history are written in real time. I'm already imaging a later inning where kids are ripped from their parents and vaccinated for the "greater good." Or the approaching moment when one portion of society is cut off from the other. Family against family. Brother against brother. Whether just or unjust in its goals, this is when the real games begin. The mask debate will pale in comparison.

Buckle up boys. This ride never ends.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3