COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

Not sure if this has been said, but as I understand it Covid ICU is different than regular ICU. In most hospitals the Covid area is separated. When news reports the "ICU" beds are full, that usually means the Covid ICU beds, not the necessarily standard ICU beds. 

With that said some standard ICU beds are also reaching capacity, but mainly because they've cut their numbers due to staffing shortages. 

I could be wrong, just some information I've gotten from associates wo work in healthcare. I wish the news would specify these differences to give us better context. But I guess that is not their job...  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dennugsmello said:

Not sure if this has been said, but as I understand it Covid ICU is different than regular ICU. In most hospitals the Covid area is separated. When news reports the "ICU" beds are full, that usually means the Covid ICU beds, not the necessarily standard ICU beds. 

With that said some standard ICU beds are also reaching capacity, but mainly because they've cut their numbers due to staffing shortages. 

I could be wrong, just some information I've gotten from associates wo work in healthcare. I wish the news would specify these differences to give us better context. But I guess that is not their job...  

That sounds right.  We had to take our daughter to the ER a few weeks ago (cue: Mathew's reply about how I'm a terrible parent and a lawyer) and it was pretty clear from talking with one of the intake people that COVID patients go in one direction and everyone else goes in another.  

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

ok folks, lets bring it down a couple of notches with the personal attacks. 

Come on dad, you're always spoiling the fun.

• Haha 1

Hearing that ICU and emergency care is being rationed for COVID patients and reserved for children especially and other folks emergency needs does make me personally feel much better and have faith in our medical professionals doing the right thing and is exactly what I would expect from medical science in a just society. Although I do still have concern for all those who are having important treatments and procedures delayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

from a few hospitals I follow in Georgia (still can't put state abbreviation on BPer, always ****, assume it thinks your typing ***)  and FL from areas I've lived in about 28%-35% were covid related ICU (and rising), the rest were for normal ICU needs.  That was always the warning though its not just covid that matters as normal daily accidents and illnesses are still occurring.  Thankful to not be having the neurological stuff I had back in April now.

Most are tracking Hospitalized / ICU / Ventilators for vaxxed / unvaxxed now.  Those numbers are going up substantially.  Highest I saw was 15% / 10% / 10% for vaxxed in the 3 categories.  Originally was 1-3%.    Next should start tracking vaxx date as well as Dec-Feb vs last few months would be interesting to see the differences.

Edited by ravenb99

On 8/20/2021 at 5:32 PM, Adam1975 said:

This 100%. I do not understand the people that don't want the vaccine because it is still under FDA emergency use authorization or don't trust it but then have no issue taking Regeneron (also approved only under the FDA emergency use authorization) when they do get Covid. This applied to my sister-in-law's family and she was never able to adequately explain why one emergency use authorization was okay but not the other one.

This.  100%.  I couldn't care less if 'you' get the vaccine.  I do care if a loved one of mine doesn't.  I struggled a bit with how I should handle it and decided I would simply tell those that I cared for that I thought they should get the vaccine.  That's it.  No pressure or arguing.  Just a one sentence statement.  I felt if one of them died and I hadn't at least told them I felt they should get one, I'd always regret it.  My brother, parents and best friend all said, "thanks, but no".  A few weeks later when it seemed this Delta variant was a different beast, my brother decided he'd get it.  Because he did, my parents decided to.  I hadn't said a single word about it since the first time I mentioned it.  I thought I'd try my best friend one more time, but he flat out said, "no, never".   He said he doesn't trust it.  I asked him which part, hoping I might alleviate any concerns he might have and he said, "all of it."  This is my best friend of 40 years.  Literally been best friends since the first day of kindergarten when I saw a boy picking on him and shoved the kid into a urinal.  I've seen him do coke, meth, acid, shrooms, ecstacy, MJ, etc.  Pretty much every popular drug known to man.  I've also seem him huff paint, vcr head cleaner, and gasoline.  But he doesn't trust the vaccine.  I just don't get it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

This.  100%.  I couldn't care less if 'you' get the vaccine.  I do care if a loved one of mine doesn't.  I struggled a bit with how I should handle it and decided I would simply tell those that I cared for that I thought they should get the vaccine.  That's it.  No pressure or arguing.  Just a one sentence statement.  I felt if one of them died and I hadn't at least told them I felt they should get one, I'd always regret it.  My brother, parents and best friend all said, "thanks, but no".  A few weeks later when it seemed this Delta variant was a different beast, my brother decided he'd get it.  Because he did, my parents decided to.  I hadn't said a single word about it since the first time I mentioned it.  I thought I'd try my best friend one more time, but he flat out said, "no, never".   He said he doesn't trust it.  I asked him which part, hoping I might alleviate any concerns he might have and he said, "all of it."  This is my best friend of 40 years.  Literally been best friends since the first day of kindergarten when I saw a boy picking on him and shoved the kid into a urinal.  I've seen him do coke, meth, acid, shrooms, ecstacy, MJ, etc.  Pretty much every popular drug known to man.  I've also seem him huff paint, vcr head cleaner, and gasoline.  But he doesn't trust the vaccine.  I just don't get it.

I don't say this to mean any disrespect to your friend. But it sounds like Covid may be the least of his problems. But I totally understand your frustration and/or confusion as to his thought processes.

3 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

I don't say this to mean any disrespect to your friend. But it sounds like Covid may be the least of his problems. But I totally understand your frustration and/or confusion as to his thought processes.

My fear for him, for the most part, is because of what I've seen him do to his body the past 40 years.  There's no way his lungs are fully functional at this point.  He's been to the ER 4 or 5 times the past few years, suffering from bronchitis.  The other part of the equation is his BMI is around 38.  He's a walking poster of someone who should get the vaccine.  

32 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Sounds like he's bullet proof.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I've seen him do coke, meth, acid, shrooms, ecstacy, MJ, etc.  Pretty much every popular drug known to man.  I've also seem him huff paint, vcr head cleaner, and gasoline.  But he doesn't trust the vaccine.  I just don't get it.

the lack of a rational consistent argument is what bothers me the most.  That's how you know it's more political than rational.

At least the Antivaxxers who don't believe in ANY vaccines are consistent in their arguments.  I can at least respect that.  I have little respect for folks who don't want the vaccine for political reasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loghamel said:

One is immediate guaranteed gratification vs deferred potential harmful effects. One is deferred potential gratification vs deferred potential harmful effects. 

To clarify, not saying I agree. Just differentiating.

49 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

the lack of a rational consistent argument is what bothers me the most.  That's how you know it's more political than rational.

At least the Antivaxxers who don't believe in ANY vaccines are consistent in their arguments.  I can at least respect that.  I have little respect for folks who don't want the vaccine for political reasons.

16 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

....so is it safe to talk about jerky again?

blueberry alpaca farms might become a thing again...

here's some info to stir up the conversation

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-airport-blog/delta-to-levy-200mth-health-care-surcharge-on-unvaccinated-employees/KHOZOJB6NZAQHAXNLT7PO2QACE/

57 minutes ago, Migration said:

Just think…make up discussions used to be controversial here. 

didn't even argue about the makeup,  geesh 

47 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Just like a virus ,  BPers mutate 

apparently mods too...

41 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

You should have joined the Jerky Club, it's wild!

don't knock it man - i hear there's good money jerky packing... https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Jack-Link-s-Beef-Jerky-Picker-Packer-Hourly-Pay-E819870_DAO.htm?filter.jobTitleExact=Picker%2FPacker - Jack Link group getting all the top talent. bennies include 20 chiropractic visits.

2 minutes ago, cladner said:

don't knock it man - i hear there's good money jerky packing... https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Jack-Link-s-Beef-Jerky-Picker-Packer-Hourly-Pay-E819870_DAO.htm?filter.jobTitleExact=Picker%2FPacker - Jack Link group getting all the top talent. bennies include 20 chiropractic visits.

Working with Sasquatch ain’t easy.

75CD9288-1BE8-4816-8535-CEF61FA71208.gif

• Haha 4