COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

14 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

You might consider toning down the trolling a wee bit there bud. Most folks are keeping a civil tone in this thread and not resorting to name calling because they don’t like things like reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a chance bud. 

6 minutes ago, redcell said:

And yet nary a mention of the thought-beam side effects...it appears that "they" have executed their plan to perfection.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Here’s another one:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/08/drinking-fluoridated-water-during-pregnancy-may-lower-iq-sons-controversial-study-says

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Not a chance bud.

Well, you might wanna chill a little bit. Not really convincing anyone with that attitude. I certainly don't share the opinion of like 70% of the members here, but you can at least be nice & have a civil discussion. Because you're doing the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

No need for any personal attacks. That's directed to anyone actually, he's not the only one who did that in these recent posts.

https://youtu.be/HKybDdGHZHE

I'm not rich either but if BPers pull together, we can probably offer every fully vaccinated person a

s-l500.jpg

Seriously though, I think pretty much all our leaders are failing to unite  to help us get through this.

34 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

.... If I was a billionaire I would offer every unvaccinated person an all inclusive month long cruise, charter all the cruise ships for everyone to have a free vacation on me, after all nothing to fear so live a little on the house. Might get us to herd immunity, so come on Uncle Sam think outside the box cause there is more than one way to get people immunized.

7 minutes ago, redcell said:

It's amusing that you had those links at hand. What other juicy nuggets that "they" don't want us to know do you have at the ready?

Google is your friend (and enemy for that matter). 

3 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Well, you might wanna chill a little bit. Not really convincing anyone with that attitude. I certainly don't share the opinion of like 70% of the members here, but you can at least be nice & have a civil discussion. Because you're doing the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

No need for any personal attacks. That's directed to anyone actually, he's not the only one who did that in these recent posts.

https://youtu.be/HKybDdGHZHE

No one will change their mind. Too many lines have been drawn. 

51 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

And NOW you're fixated on how masks reduce O2?

I believe the mask debate is nuanced and gave an personal example of such. I guess passing an piece of anecdotal information from somebody who wears a mask 8 hours a day for work is now considered a fixation. My O2 suffers while masked. What that does mean? I cannot say. But it happens. 

What's your criteria?

If you have to ask your to close to the line. Trust me you don’t want to get benched, without everyone in the game none of today would have been possible. Then redcell would have had to work all afternoon, jaisonline wouldn’t have stopped in, Jeff Mack wouldn’t see all this traffic and be incentivized to get all those great new features rolled out, and I wouldn’t have laughed so hard at redcell’s posts thus spewing pop all over my keyboard finally justifying the purchase of a new one with superhero keys. Thank you all!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

I believe the mask debate is nuanced and gave an personal example of such. I guess passing an piece of anecdotal information from somebody who wears a mask 8 hours a day for work is now considered a fixation. My O2 suffers while masked. What that does mean? I cannot say. But it happens. 

The only credible evidence that I am aware of that masks cause any sort of issues is prolonged use of N95 masks with people who have pre existing lung conditions. You may want to speak to your doctor about it to see if you possibly have an underlying condition that you are not aware of. https://www.lung.org/blog/covid-masks

I empathize with you and in no way want to discount what you are experiencing and can say that spending 5+ hours in my N99 when I'm sanding down wood working projects does leave me feeling tired, but please realize that the plural of anecdote is not data and your story and my story does not necessarily translate to something that is true for masks or masking in general across the board.  

I just came back from the Eiffel Tower an hour and a half ago, everyone is supposed to wear a mask but many took off theirs whilst at the summit to take a picture. If not for the fact that only vaccinated folks are allowed in I would have been uncomfortable since my child does not have the vaccine yet. 

I have been travelling quite a bit in Italy and France the last few weeks, I'm glad they require people to show proof of vaccination before being allowed to dine indoors otherwise you have to be seated outside.

7 hours ago, junkrigger said:

First it’s basic triage, when medical care must be rationed it goes to those most likely to survive. Peer reviewed studies in medical journals( that’s the backbone of medical knowledge all medical professionals use to make treatment decisions) all statistically verify that vaccinated individuals survive at higher rates when battling COVID than unvaccinated, it’s not even close. You can’t argue or change those facts unless you don’t believe in medical science at all at which point why are you seeking medical care.

For me it’s simple, a child deserves an icu bed more than a person who is eligible for a vaccine and has chosen not to for whatever reason, I challenge anyone to refute or disagree with this statement!

Like it or not this is where we are headed, medical care and doctors, nurses time is finite so these decisions will start being made and guess what they are going to be made by medical scientists. If I had my way it would not be so much so and Congress would have approved more funding for hospital residencies since 1990 so we would have more doctors, alas that’s not the country we live in. And unless you can buy your own hospital your stuck. Write your congressperson today and make a difference we need more doctors and funding for residencies.

We already have studies that have shown many people have suffered and paid with their lives when medical procedures had to be delayed or canceled last year. Now it is preventable again medical science says this not me, and almost all hospitalized COVID are unvaccinated. If you don’t believe in medical science why ask it to bail you out. You can’t pick and choose what science you choose to believe, that’s not how the scientific method works.

I probably needed to elaborate on my triage statement. First, as of right now we are unlikely to see any treatment decisions based on whether a person is vaccinated getting priority over someone unvaccinated. This is largely because thankfully those who are vaccinated are unlikely to be the ones in the ICU (or hospitalized for that matter), because it is actually preventing severe cases. This hopefully doesn't change.

I also don't think hospitals will use whether an individual has been vaccinated or not to triage someone. It might inadvertently be correlated, but it seems unlikely to be the causative factor involved. I think the smart argument is instead, if you are unvaccinated you are statistically more likely to have severe complications. In the case we are overrun, during initial patient assessments (where staff evaluates the patients vitals or other troubling symptoms) you may be deemed to be unlikely to be saved and as a result our resources will go to someone more likely to be.

I also think it is of absolute importance that our medical community continues to be compassionate to those that are unsure of the validity of treatment options. Long term this is likely the best way to build trust within certain communities. Pushing them away because they don't comply with something seems like a good way to just further the divide.

To expand on the finite time of nurses, doctors, etc.  I can't remember where I read this, but recently I came across something stating that beds available has more to do with the lack of personnel than the lack of beds. As someone who just finished nursing school and will be entering the storm here soon, I think this can't be too far off. I am getting emails from hospitals all around, some of which I haven't even applied to. It's absolutely crazy, definitely didn't see this occurring in September of 2019 when I started.

24 minutes ago, redcell said:

Note to self...in the world of BPers posting in this thread, fluoride appears to be more of a hot button than masks and vaccines. The world truly is full of surprises.

I just don't understand what the big deal is, my friend. Do you feel threatened by the fact that I brush my teeth with fluoride-free toothpaste? 

images.jpeg-4.jpg.e5e49e8c2715616977cde74e5629cd81.jpg

Edited by elmaslıefendi
  • Like 1

I probably needed to elaborate on my triage statement. First, as of right now we are unlikely to see any treatment decisions based on whether a person is vaccinated getting priority over someone unvaccinated. This is largely because thankfully those who are vaccinated are unlikely to be the ones in the ICU (or hospitalized for that matter), because it is actually preventing severe cases. This hopefully doesn't change.
I also don't think hospitals will use whether an individual has been vaccinated or not to triage someone. It might inadvertently be correlated, but it seems unlikely to be the causative factor involved. I think the smart argument is instead, if you are unvaccinated you are statistically more likely to have severe complications. In the case we are overrun, during initial patient assessments (where staff evaluates the patients vitals or other troubling symptoms) you may be deemed to be unlikely to be saved and as a result our resources will go to someone more likely to be.
I also think it is of absolute importance that our medical community continues to be compassionate to those that are unsure of the validity of treatment options. Long term this is likely the best way to build trust within certain communities. Pushing them away because they don't comply with something seems like a good way to just further the divide.
To expand on the finite time of nurses, doctors, etc.  I can't remember where I read this, but recently I came across something stating that beds available has more to do with the lack of personnel than the lack of beds. As someone who just finished nursing school and will be entering the storm here soon, I think this can't be too far off. I am getting emails from hospitals all around, some of which I haven't even applied to. It's absolutely crazy, definitely didn't see this occurring in September of 2019 when I started.

I would not really know for sure but would believe that personnel are the limiting reagent in ICU shortages based on the fatigue folks I know are feeling and like I mentioned the chronic understaffing and shortages of medical professionals we have in this country per capita when compared with other first world nations, it’s pathetic really. Also yes the articles triage measures discussed are probably not the ones I was thinking of and that I feel matter, but it is an admission that decisions about hospital staff resource allocation are going to be a thing and thus a canary if you will to what might be coming if we don’t change our course.

The amount of times you cheerfully mention LEGO makes me think that this is active discrimination against MEGA BLOKS & other alternative bricks. I feel triggered & offended. OBM, other bricks matter!
Don't bring Mega Bloks into my house and don't buy my child Mega Bloks. That probably makes me a brickist, but those are the rules.

Excpetion permitted if there is a Next Generation Enterprise.

The cheerful part is just a signature. Hopefully it brings joy to our otherwise bleak existence, at least it's bleak if you listen to both left and right wing media. I think the world ended three times today.

Yay LEGO!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redghostx said:

Don't bring Mega Bloks into my house and don't buy my child Mega Bloks. That probably makes me a brickist, but those are the rules.

Psst, it’s just plastic bricks. My son likes the Halo sets. The figures are nice with all the points of articulation. Imagine how much cooler the UCS gunship would have been as mega blocks set 😛

Edited by Mathew

11 hours ago, junkrigger said:

If a person does not trust medical science by all means they can go it alone, no one is forcing anyone to seek out medical care, but then don’t expect medical science to save their butt when they finally realize they might want help.

This. Absolutely agree 100%. Its almost, almost unbelievable how many regular 'joes' like to argue with what the current science is telling us. 'They keep moving the goal posts!'  Ha! How many Pandemics have you been apart of?    Honest question, would it be considered an argument if one person is a medical profession and the other isn't but the topic is vaccination? Would those same Medical Professionals but onsite of construction arguing about whether studs should be spaced 16 or 24 in on-center? 

But at the end of the day, this is the same crowd who are telling each other to try ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine and when all else fails, chug that ginger ale.  So I suppose it shouldn't be all that unbelievable, closer to that of disappointment in our fellow sapiens I guess.  I understand its hard to trust anything the government says, being skeptical is a good thing.  But to disregard science that is trying to keep up with a highly volatile virus is dangerous. 

8 hours ago, Mathew said:

They have you convinced that all humans, especially the unvaccinated, are biohazards . Sheer insanity. 

At this point in time, Biohazard would be a fair label for the unvaccinated. I truly hope you are able to stay safe and healthy through all this.  Even people I disagree with, I still wish the best for them. 

8 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Exactly.  That is why I’m not on my here on a soapbox wasting my time. 

3 family members of various ages have already died of COVID (1 of them was 61 years old, healthy & very close to me).  We talked after he tested positive.  He didn’t believe in the seriousness of COVID & vaccines until it was too late.

I learned in college that most  folks won’t change their beliefs.  The more you try, the more they won’t just to spite people

Absolute tragedy, my sincere condolences to you and your family.  Thank you for the courage to share your experience. 

3 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

img-120-png.442656

I understand this is a joke.  However, more people need to be 'Anti-fooders' as referred to in this meme, at least in the US. 

There is a reason US food companies have a US version and a Worldwide version...ingredients.   Most of which have been banned in foreign countries.

Hmmmm heart disease, cancer and diabetes are leading causes of death in the US?  You don't say. 

Perfect segue right back to my post regarding pet health. How many pet owners have done any research about how the food is cooked/prepared, inquire about full list of actual ingredients or how long it is stored before expiry?  Not enough.  Feed your animals fresh food people! Or at the very least, avoid foods that have been cooked at high temps(> 350F) for long durations (over 15 min), or have a shelf life greater than 8mo.  All causes of depleting vitamins and nutrients. True definition of empty calories. 

Look into how the food is prepared.  Email companies to ask preparation methods (extrusion) if they don't disclose on their websites.(most dont)  If they fail to answer adequately, move on.  It may cost a bit more at the register to feed your animals fresh, but costs sky rocket once Bella the black lab needs skin/arthritis/bladder infection meds daily at age 6.  Same goes for Socks the cat. Fish and meat may cost more than bagged hard food or soft food flooded with preservatives and unnecessary chemicals.  But it cost way less than dealing with kidney disease, pancreatitis tooth decay and diabetes.  We already treat them as members of the family, extend that to their food.

We as humans are no different. Its almost sickening (no pun intended this time) to walk into a grocery store these days. Shelves upon shelves of processed, hydrogenated, boxed, canned, preserved 'foods', all 'wants'.   When all we really 'need' is fresh foods. Change is difficult, as @Mathewcontinues to prove, but difficult does not equate to impossible.  Next time, try eating a carrot for breakfast instead of that bacon, egg and cheese. 

• Like 1