Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

40 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

Yeah, I figure this is them trying to transfer the risk from them to us. Their buddies. Their pals. 

Does it suggest that they are obligated through the terms of their agreement with TLG to actually make 2500 of the approved sets?

the cost of bricks directly from LEGO is probably dwarfed by the cost of Labor...at some point gotta count the beans and cut losses

57 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

If BL renegs on their promises, the loss of trust will be much worse than the short-term gains....we're talking about a very informed Afol market (not the masses of soccer moms)

Doubt it. Only resellers will get their panties bunched up.

41 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Doubt it. Only resellers will get their panties bunched up.

Let's say you're an AFoL, but missed out on the castle...but being a fan and trusting BL's policies...opted to pay triple for the set on secondary market...I'd be pissed.

Also...pretty much all collectors are resellers...just that some have a longer hold strategy...

Even if that wasn't the case..arguably...resellers provide a very important segment of the LEGO market and pissing them off is also gonna hurt BL tremendously 

21 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I guess this shuts the door on them continuing this program.

Why are you saying that?

I have always thought that this entire project was going to be very difficult to handle, but has there been any confirmation of a "never again - we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into" statement?

15 minutes ago, KShine said:

Why are you saying that?

I have always thought that this entire project was going to be very difficult to handle, but has there been any confirmation of a "never again - we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into" statement?

The thank you note, references “pilot program”, personally I think the project is good, better than LEGO ideas, IMHO

• Like 1

The designs and integration with Studio 2 are indeed excellent and I also want to see the program continue.

I’ll say again that the crowd sourcing and shipping methodology needs work. They need to go all in and set up and fund a program and deal with shipping packing and basic business logistics ahead of time. LEGO might well be thinking about not going ahead with the deal as it could easily start competing too much with IDEAS and there’s probably at least some fear of overlap from a design that gets approved that could upset sales of one they have in the pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

1 hour ago, donbee said:

Interestingly, I just found out recently that BrickLink has a partnership with CUUSOO. The original lego ideas group.

That is interesting, what I feel is better is the commit to purchase rather than the “like”, although the committing should be more robust 

LEGO might well be thinking about not going ahead with the deal as it could easily start competing too much with IDEAS and there’s probably at least some fear of overlap from a design that gets approved that could upset sales of one they have in the pipe.

Don’t forget that LEGO reviewed and approved all these designs in advance (see the behind the scenes videos). They already killed anything too close to Ideas or any other project well before the crowdfunding phase.

29 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Im on the fence about the Fire truck. Already purchased Roadster, science Tower and Hot Shot.

Sent from my VS995 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

What blew me away w/ the fire truck is its size.  Huge! Should display rather well. I had a budget so I couldn't get it, but that would have been the next order for me.

• Like 1

If they are going to continue it they should do a better job about picking the sets that make it to the crowd funding stage. Personally I thought a few of those finalist sets were pretty ugly.

They should set up 9 finalists, then allow each registered BL member 1 vote for their favorite. Then only send the top 2-3 vote getting sets to the crowdfunding stage. Then they wouldn't have to worry about selling off excess sets at bulk/wholesale prices.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

On 6/28/2019 at 1:38 PM, hockeyweasel said:

Yeah, I figure this is them trying to transfer the risk from them to us. Their buddies. Their pals. 

Does it suggest that they are obligated through the terms of their agreement with TLG to actually make 2500 of the approved sets?

No it’s off loading product under contractual obligations, it would seem Bricklink purchased parts for 2500 of each design, to be sold by end of june

It’s a commercial enterprise  no buddies, no pals!  That ended years ago.   These sets are good value for money tho...

The wholesale site doesn’t include “wild west” or “hot shot” so assume they have sold out
I don't think so, you can still order them at regular price on the main website. There are probably just too few of those remaining to offer them on the wholesale site...

Wild west actually says 70 remaining on it's pageScreenshot_20190630-082309_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

No it’s off loading product under contractual obligations, it would seem Bricklink purchased parts for 2500 of each design, to be sold by end of june
It’s a commercial enterprise  no buddies, no pals!  That ended years ago.   These sets are good value for money tho...

I agree with this. It only makes sense to let go of overstock if they don’t move and they have a deadline. If anything it’s a chance for “their pals” to make money. Given the rest of us have a limit of three nobody is really loosing much money if any. Investors will evaluate which set has potential before going all in.

I’m actually surprised that the wholesale store still has plenty of stock of 9 of the designs, yet they still have the “3 per customer” limit in place. 

I wonder what will happen to those that remain unsold? Contractually they cannot sell after midnight PDT, unless they get the agreement of TLG?

There are 500+ of most designs left - that’s a lot of LEGO!