Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

I’m actually surprised that the wholesale store still has plenty of stock of 9 of the designs, yet they still have the “3 per customer” limit in place. 
I wonder what will happen to those that remain unsold? Contractually they cannot sell after midnight PDT, unless they get the agreement of TLG?
There are 500+ of most designs left - that’s a lot of LEGO!  

I wonder which sets don’t have much stock left? 12 sets left and you said 9 are plentiful in stock, which leaves 3 being close to sold out. I assume the Wild West saloon and hot shot are two of them, which one is the third one?

Odd or just bad management on Bricklink's part...Sets were no longer available as of 11PM CST.  Now there are BL Store listings for a couple of the sets (8 Studs and Lowenstein) that are inflated well over the original price.  My understanding that the only set that actually sold out was Lowenstein...why not keep the others available for sale at least until all the backorders are filled?  Doesn't make a lot of sense... To make matters worse they have only in the past few weeks started releasing unboxing videos.  These videos would have pushed sales on the "lesser" sets by giving more exposure to the program.  Kind of poor planning all around after a promising start.

Edited by Mathew

6 hours ago, Mathew said:

Odd or just bad management on Bricklink's part...Sets were no longer available as of 11PM CST.  Now there are BL Store listings for a couple of the sets (8 Studs and Lowenstein) that are inflated well over the original price.  My understanding that the only set that actually sold out was Lowenstein...why not keep the others available for sale at least until all the backorders are filled?  Doesn't make a lot of sense... To make matters worse they have only in the past few weeks started releasing unboxing videos.  These videos would have pushed sales on the "lesser" sets by giving more exposure to the program.  Kind of poor planning all around after a promising start.

I do believe they were contractually obligated with Lego to end the program yesterday. 

My questions answered.

the wholesale store is no longer password protected, and would appear The remaining sets are still for sale at the wholesale price. (Studio shop)

the sets are now in the main catalog, not in custom or moc.... wonder when the inventories will be added?

and someone thinks the caste is worth $499 and eight studs $199 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, Graham Bailey said:

No it’s off loading product under contractual obligations, it would seem Bricklink purchased parts for 2500 of each design, to be sold by end of june

It’s a commercial enterprise  no buddies, no pals!  That ended years ago.   These sets are good value for money tho...

We're saying the same thing. They bought the pieces at cost for 2500 of each approved set and they don't want to be stuck with that inventory, so they're trying to get us to buy the sets and have them on our books. The buddies/pals comment was sarcastic in that they are trying to butter us up as such valued commercial partners that they're giving us this great opportunity that we all know isn't that great and would stick us with a minimum of $3000 in sets that will gather dust on our shelves rather than theirs.

36 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

We're saying the same thing. They bought the pieces at cost for 2500 of each approved set and they don't want to be stuck with that inventory, so they're trying to get us to buy the sets and have them on our books. The buddies/pals comment was sarcastic in that they are trying to butter us up as such valued commercial partners that they're giving us this great opportunity that we all know isn't that great and would stick us with a minimum of $3000 in sets that will gather dust on our shelves rather than theirs.

Absolutely understood the sarcasm, I was following along with same, no offense meant! That said In the beginning Bricklink was a more friendly environment, folks used to share good deals in the forum, admin used to listened and responded to suggestions.

I think I see this program differently and have taken a huge gamble, however I see it as a can’t loose and possibly end up with a good ROI. I made the purchase as a long term investment. If after a year or two I don’t see the gain happening then I’ll part them out.

What will make it happen is continuing with the ADP program, which they are obviously considering, and marketing to the folks who would be more certain buyers. This was so low key I’m amazed they got the sales they did! The only real advertising was on the landing page and in the (mostly hostile) forum. They could also use support from LEGO’s AFOL engagement team, maybe if there is a next time LEGO will be more involved.

I found it by accidentally clicking the logo, whilst looking at part out values. The forum is mostly sellers, not potential customers.

anyway I clicked the “do it again” button on Bricklink and that seems the majority - at the moment.

”Time will tell” !

13 hours ago, Mathew said:

They timed the end for EST. Don’t really see the bad management part there. Can’t speak for all the unboxing videos, but I have seen them posted regularly by Bricklink on Facebook, starting several weeks ago. 

The shipping timeline part....yeah. We can certainly agree there. 

6 hours ago, hockeyweasel said:

I've observed that LEGOs are unique in that there is a hoard of resellers looking to take on the logistical cost of storage and shipping from the retailers and TLG as a whole. When drilling down to the core business of resellers...it's just each individual's tolerance and cost for providing storage space for over-stock.

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I've observed that LEGOs are unique in that there is a hoard of resellers looking to take on the logistical cost of storage and shipping from the retailers and TLG as a whole. When drilling down to the core business of resellers...it's just each individual's tolerance and cost for providing storage space for over-stock.

And Amazon make out pretty well with FBA, charge the resellers for storage in addition to the 17% commission. Basically resellers are paying to keep Amazon’s stock available. Pretty smart business model.

34 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Why is the fire engine more expensive than the SAloon which was clearly more popular with (i believe) a higher original price?

Saloon is a little low for resale price at this time IMO.   I expect it to climb a bit.   But that fire truck is BIG and priced well for its uniqueness and rarity.  I like the jump in value so far but I have a hunch there will be a bit of a hold time. When the masses start their holiday shopping we'll see what fresh eyes think about em'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belac said:

Saloon is a little low for resale price at this time IMO.   I expect it to climb a bit.   But that fire truck is BIG and priced well for its uniqueness and rarity.  I like the jump in value so far but I have a hunch there will be a bit of a hold time. When the masses start their holiday shopping we'll see what fresh eyes think about em'

These are also the first posted. I bet many of the BLer's may not have received their ones to offload. I am sure by Holiday time, prices may have settled a bit. But I agree on the Fire Truck and glad I bought one at the final hour.

Guess y’all have seen the actual sales by resellers on BrickLink. 

castle $499.99

saloon $249.99

hot shot x 3. Average of $156.14

LEGO story $225

The “special” brick averaging just over $14

And the wholesale store low stock  on all 9 remaining sets. I project all will be sold out soon. 

• Like 1

Guess y’all have seen the actual sales by resellers on BrickLink. 
castle $499.99
saloon $249.99
hot shot x 3. Average of $156.14
LEGO story $225
The “special” brick averaging just over $14
And the wholesale store low stock  on all 9 remaining sets. I project all will be sold out soon. 

Significantly lower on eBay, with most sets selling for a bit less than x2 of rrp. castle sales $340-$380 range. Still a healthy profit for a quick flip. Would like to see this grow as more folks become aware of the sets. I’ve got the feeling that this is broadening beyond the AFOL community, which is a good thing for resellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm wondering how many of us are still waiting on sets (maybe like this comment to get a count)?

I was a middle timeline pledgor for the castle and SKyline as wel  as a late one for the Wild West Saloon.  Located in CA. Haven't gotten jack yet.

Ironically, I have not received any pledged sets, but I have received 3 purchases made during sales period, hot shot I received #100 which definitely isn’t in order of purchases, unless they left off a zero!

22 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm wondering how many of us are still waiting on sets (maybe like this comment to get a count)?

I was a middle timeline pledgor for the castle and SKyline as wel  as a late one for the Wild West Saloon.  Located in CA. Haven't gotten jack yet.

Received the Science Tower set. The Vintage Roadster is still underway.

Hey everyone. I've got the Science Tower. It's pretty neat, but I live in a small space and really need to pick and choose what sets to keep. I'm thinking of selling it - US only, and it's been assembled, though the exclusive brick is still sealed. Box in great condition. I'd like to get my investment back, plus just a little bit profit, plus actual shipping. PM me if interested, and we'll chat. It would be nice to avoid eBay fees...